House Criamon, Walking Backwards, and Illuminationism

Criamonic Illuminationism as intellectual symbiosis, Empedocles the Pythagorean, and some weird/cool diagrams

Been a while since I posted a new installment and, true to form, it's more just a series of ideas I had while doing some reading for the next post. I was looking through some of the articles collected in the most recent Apeiron publication (lots of good papers!) for ideas when I realized that one paper from the same journal that I had read a good while back actually provides a really useful frame for understanding the possible project of our Criamon Illuminationists.

I think it's probably clear already that what I hope to construct with an Illuminationist Path of Walking Backwards is a House Criamon that engages with the remarkable Islamicate revival of late antiquity's Pythagorizing Neoplatonist project pioneered by Suhrawardi - a House Criamon that is in conversation with Illuminationist ideas which position figures like Thales, Parmenides, Pythagoras, Empedocles, Socrates, and Plato (Pythagoras, Empedocles, and Plato being the most important) as part of a broadly continuous set of wisdom traditions (the sophia perennis, as it were) that had from the outset been in contact with/share roots with ones which grew from Egypt and Persia. Our favorite democracy-loving veggie-eating Hermetic mystics have never shied away from adopting any knowledge that seems to help further understanding of the Enigma but I think Illuminationism via the Path of Walking Backwards is quite different - it changes how the House may approach their very founding ideas and opens up the "House orthodoxy" itself to source-diversity.

Engagement with House Criamon is also going to change Illuminationism - while the Illuminationists are, according to current studies of Empedocles, broadly right in the way they approach him and his work (closely tied to "the East" and Pythagoras, three-level cosmic-eschatological scheme, philosophy as lived practice/intellectual rite of rebirth) they are totally outstripped by House Criamon in ability to engage with the texts to find these resonances. It isn't actively brought up, but from their reconstruction of Empedoclean thought - including features not described by doxographical texts that modern scholars had to glean from careful readings of Empedocles' poetry - they are likely Mythic Europe's greatest living scholars of early Greek thought with highly developed methods of source criticism and philology. Ofc, the OOC explanation is that Ars writers were using what we know about Empedocles, but the idea that the Criamon came to the same conclusions isn't at all an impossibility - Theban Criamon have access to those manuscripts...they'd just have to be terrifyingly smart (and without the condescending Bonisagi air no less.) The Illuminationists, relying on the few patchwork translations of important doxographical texts and missing most of the vital texts required for deep analysis of Pythagoras or Empedocles alike, would benefit immensely - just as the Criamon would benefit from the Illuminationist paradigm shift shaking off their brand of focus on Empedocles to read his connections to wider intellectual streams. Indeed, the Illuminationist synthesizing scope of vision and Criamon pre-Socratic research toolbox could unironically land the 1270s-1300s House Criamon near 2021 levels of sophistication as far as pre-Socratic studies.

For examples of the sort of scholarship this new breed of Criamon philosophers could produce, From Hades to the Stars: Empedocles on the Cosmic Habitats of Soul from Dr. Simon TrĂ©panier (discussed in earlier posts) proves the Illuminationists' inherited Neoplatonic assertion about the nature of the Empedoclean afterlife correct by close reading of Empedocles' writing itself. Kingsley and Uzdavinys both use the same techniques of textual analysis to connect the Pythagorian project to "Eastern" thought in wide currency in the scholarly world the early Pythagorians knew. One I haven't discussed before is 2018's Empedocles’ Emulation of Anaxagoras and Pythagoras by Dr. Dmitri Panchenko which interested me by simply using the main doxographical texts to prove the point.

Diogenes Laertius cites Alcidamas for the statement that Empedocles emulatedï»ż Anaxagoras and Pythagoras in his dignity of bearing and the philosophy ofï»ż nature. Contrary to the standard view, I shall argue that Alcidamas madeï»ż Empedocles imitate Anaxagoras in is manners and Pythagoras in his teaching...Nonetheless, the majority of the experts in Greek philosophy take for granted the alternative understanding of Diogenes’ statement. They are apparently impressed by the facts that, on the one hand, Plato, a contemporary of Alcidamas, speaks of the Pythagorean way of life, while, on the other hand, the same Plato (Apol. 26 d; 59 A 35 DK) and other authors present Anaxagoras as a person famous for his doctrines concerning the sun and moon. But such general considerations will not work since also Pythagoras is credited in ancient tradition with a number of physical doctrines, and we shall see that our sources are in fact in a perfect agreement with the interpretation we defend.

One that really struck me was 2016's Empedocles’ Cosmic Cycle and the Pythagorean Tetractys by Dr. Oliver Primavesi. I'll let the abstract speak for itself:

Empedocles posits six fundamental principles of the world: Love, Strife and the four elements (rhizƍmata). On the cosmic level, he describes the interaction of the principles as an eternal recurrence of the same, i.e. as a cosmic cycle. The cycle is subject to a time-table the evidence for which was discovered by Marwan Rashed and has been edited by him in 2001 and 2014. The purpose of the present paper is to show that this timetable is based on the numerical ratios of the Pythagorean tetractys.

The paper is wonderfully complex and I wouldn't do it justice here, but core is above - the very cosmic cycle that defines Empedoclean cosmology is built on Pythagorean number philosophy.

Not only is the thesis pretty conclusively proven in the paper, the author suggests that some elements of Empedoclean theory are only made understandable by placing them in the framework of Pythagoras:

It seems even possible to take one further step and to show that the assumption of the Pythagorizing timetable is not only compatible with the structure of the cosmic cycle, but that it is even a necessary condition for making sense of the one extant reference to the cosmic timetable by Empedocles himself. After the formation of the Sphairos and for the duration of its reign, both Love, which fills the Sphairos, and Strife, which surrounds it as an external covering, enjoy a period of rest. The rest period of Love and Strife—the dominion of the Sphairos—comes to an end when Strife, the strength of whose limbs has been restored during the period of rest, invades the Sphairos from without and destroys it. The period of rest, i.e. the life-span of the Sphairos, is characterized as having been fixed “in exchange” by an oath sworn by Love and by Strife. The obvious question is: “in exchange for what?” One should expect that two gifts exchanged by Love and Strife are each of equal value. Yet it seems quite implausible to assume that Strife has granted the Sphairos to Love in return for the rest of the cosmic cycle (so that the duration of the Sphairos would have to match the duration of all other periods of the cycle), as suggested by O’Brien. For this would imply, as O’Brien himself admits, that not only Strife’s invasion but also Love’s expansion belongs, “in a sense”, to Strife. A far more convincing solution becomes available as soon as we assume that the cosmic cycle is structured along the lines of a double tetractys. Both Love and Strife have sworn to each other to observe faithfully the timetable of their respective tetractys (which shows, by the way, that even the Pythagorean link between “oath” and tetractys seems to be inspired by Empedocles, although the function of the Pythagorean oath is totally different from that of the divine oath in Empedocles). Now on our Pythagorizing reconstruction of the timetable, the life time of the Sphairos belongs to both the tetractys of Love and the tetractys of Strife, so that the Empedoclean oath implies, in particular, that Love and Strife have granted each other to cease fire during a common period of rest, i.e. during the life span of the Sphairos.

Incredible work! Just imagining what our loveable mystic-wizards would start to dream up if they were presented with these conclusions is a trip - and the best part is that with an Illuminationist turn in the Path of Walking Backwards, a brave new world of Criamonic philosophy is entirely within reach.

6 Likes

I admit I'm curious about this part particularly. The idea of a House Criamon that is actively engaging on a two-way basis with non-Hermetic thinkers is fascinating, and your descriptions of their particular strands of thought have been even more so, but I'm wondering what this translates to, in terms of game effects. Is there a new Path here, or a refinement or modification of the Path of Walking Backwards? What powers might it offer? Access to a non-faerie version of Bargain duration, inspired by the oath between Love and Strife you mentioned?

Or does this engage with the core philosophy of the House at a more fundamental level? Will this increased understanding translate to Breakthroughs that expand the capabilities of Enigmatic Wisdom, allowing it to reduce time spent in Twilight, or aid somehow in navigating and traversing the Realm of Magic? Or perhaps something that reduces the (currently very high) difficulty of creating new Paths? Or did you have something else in mind?

2 Likes

I don't have an exact plan here but I do imagine that this is going to be more the latter at first - as occult-mystical scholarly currents shift in the Islamicate, they alter the Path as well. I'm not sure what exactly the mechanical changes to the Path would entail - I imagine part of it would include synthesizing some of the Arithmetic Magic virtues like Hermetic Numerology and Hermetic Geometry into the Path with the Pythagorean element.

The transformation of the Path, just by its nature and engagement with Empedocles and his own tradition, is one that I see changing the house more deeply than just the Path itself for sure.

That's along the lines I was thinking - Enigmatic Wisdom becomes applicable to more as the House takes more holistically academic positions towards the question of the Empedoclean Enigma. I was thinking of having Enigmatic Wisdom add to Lab Totals and formulaic magic similar to Aristotelian/Platonic Magic Theory, to represent that scholarly turn, which I think combines well with allowing Enigmatic Wisdom to aid travel and exploration of the Magic Realm as the Illuminationist World of Image.

I think this is a pretty interesting way to mechanically represent the increase in source diversity for Criamonic "orthodoxy."

2 Likes

This thread continues to be a bizarre and fun read. I love the charts because I can't help but picture a frenzied Criamon in Muslim attire trying to explain the Pythagorean ratios of Love's Expansion to his utterly lost sodales while pointing to the chart wildly. Jokes aside, I really like this version of House Criamon and it feels like a rather natural evolution for them.

9 Likes

Oooooh, now I am having ideas. Inspired by how the first station of the existing Path of Walking Backwards (Gentle Gift) directly mirrors the first station of the Path of Strife (Blatant Gift). Perhaps the PoWB would fork after the first station, with the modern (Illuminated?) Path of Walking Backwards taking a more academic approach to its mysticism: Hermetic Numerology* and Geometry like you said (possibly combo'd with Puissant Artes Liberales to form the second station, replacing the Station of Rice & Honey?) but also- and I admit this feels really munchkiny but also appropriate for the incredibly detailed textual analysis of the Illuminationists- replacing the Station of Expression (Free Expression+Inspirational+use Enigmatic Wisdom as one artistic skill) with a similar package including Good Teacher, Book Learner, and using Enigmatic Wisdom as Prof(Scribe) or Craft(Bookbinder or Illuminator).

*I would particularly love to see an initiation script for whichever station grants H-Numerology that initiates people in pairs, each of whom has to write a Commentary on a major Empedoclean or related work, after which they exchange commentaries and use the one they receive as their Numerologist's Book.

Hermetic Divination (Numerology) would be a potent fourth station for this path. Not sure how appropriate to its source material, though.

Meanwhile, the other fork after the first (Gentle Gift) station is a "Path of Love", which directly mirrors a modified Path of Strife. I'm not entirely sure what those paths would look like, but:

• I think the Path of Love should include the first appearance of "Enigmatic Wisdom applies to Twilight Void Travel in the Magic Realm" at one of its earlier stations, and one of its later stations should have no initiation script but instead require those walking the path to journey the Magic Realm and acquire the Virtue or package-treated-as-a-virtue there (RoP:M p26).
  • The existing PoWB's Station of Rice and Honey (healing dance) and Station of Exaltation (grant objects a single positive property) are rather neat parallels to the Path of Strife's Stations of Blood & Bronze and Golden Cider (destroy objects, or supernatural properties of objects or beings), and should probably be retained.
  • Obviously the Blatant Gift is maintained as the first station on the Path of Strife.
  • While those on the Illuminated Path of Strife still cannot enter the Final Twilight normally, it would be neat if it were possible for them to be guided into Final Twilight by a magus on the final station of the Path of Love (using their whole navigating the Realm of Magic/World of Image deal to guide their fellows). This has absolutely no game balance effects as it still results in the character leaving play, but it feels like it would have a tremendous impact on social interactions with those on the Path of Strife.

TL;DR: PoWB under Illuminationist influence forks into "new PoWB" (more academic) and "Path of Love" (more mystic, mirrors Path of Strife). Yes/no/maybe?

2 Likes

I hope this does fit with the philosophical side because I already love this branched version of the Path of Walking Backwards. I linked it to some of my players and two already want to make Criamon Sufi characters now. Probably going to show up in my home game with that kind of interest.

Honestly my only issue is that I didn't think of this myself - it's a great way to represent the "streams" of Islamicate mystical thought and has a lot of resonance with the real-world formalization of Sufism into distinct tariqas beginning in the 1200s. The academic stream of the Illuminated Path is a good analogue for the emergence of the Verificationist/philosopher-Sufi paradigm - Suhrawardi himself is probably the ideal example of the drive to synthesize the importance of mystical intuition and scholarly engagement with human reason in this period.

This is a strong second station for the Illuminated Path, I think the Noncombatant flaw in the original should be retained for both streams - it fits well with both - but the Vow to help the injured could be replaced with a Vow binding the magus to a stricter version of an Apt Life (a Criamonic version of On the Pythagorean Life could be a decent guide - Aristoxenus of Tarentum: the Pythagorean Precepts (How to Live a Pythagorean Life) translated by Hoffman is easily available.

No argument here - strongly thematic and useful to boot.

I love this, it feels exactly like the sorts of mystical commentary letters exchanged by the major Illuminationists at this time - Shahrazuri, Ibn Kamunna, Shirazi. I wonder if opening a Greater Book is worth it mechanics-wise but the idea rules.

It def is for the Ä°slamicate roots of the Path, but even if we take the typical Criamon tone and try to broaden it to a wider Pythagorizing Neoplatonist approach, it still holds. Iamblichus' De Mysteriis, Porphyry's Philosophy from Oracles, and the Chaldean Oracles referenced by almost all of them are some examples of a broader use of divinatory practice in Neoplatonism. Addey's Divination and Theurgy in Neoplatonism: Oracles of the Gods goes into it.

Strong yes, really interesting ideas! Solid base for a Path. I think that's a place to start before talking about changes to the House as a whole.

3 Likes

The biggest issue I have with it is that generally Criamon paths do not appear to branch from one another- to me it would be a better explanation if they did the way most things develop, but instead the idea was followed to make each of them entirely unique, and one path being a variation on another breaks that pattern.

That's true, there isn't anything else on a similar model among the other Paths. I would really like to avoid doing away with the original Path of Walking Backwards, which serves its role as an expression of older streams of Sufi thought pretty well. You could probably spin the Illuminated Path into something entirely separate from its Illuminationist roots but that's a much harder sell. It's tricky.

2 Likes

You know, this would make an amazing Sub Rosa article.

3 Likes

While there is currently nothing along the lines of paths branching or spawning paths with similar components I don’t really see that as a serious impediment. In fact I think the introduction of it seems quite novel and think it’s a cool idea.

As an aside, a while ago I tried to develop a path that related to the Judaic/Kabbalistic idea of the Guf (where the souls that fall from the Tree of Souls in Eden stay until they are ready to be born into the world). added to this was a (likely somewhat anachronistic) conception by a particular set of rabbis in Iberia that every living thing had a soul and, in particular, Trees. Being that I am not Jewish and have not seriously studied these thoughts/thinkers I did the “handwavey” thing of framing it all as a Criamon misconception of these ideas but this thread has made me think I should return to it and if anyone could suggest good places to start reading for a project such as this I would greatly appreciate it. I unfortunately can’t find my notes or else I would share more information.

3 Likes

The big issue is that the Criamon themselves seem to see the paths as being a form of revelation from the Enigma, and as such they are "delivered" whole and complete and the house does not encourage experimentation. There is a reference to a minor variation on the path of walking backwards in Provence, which attaches to one covenant, but even this is not described as a development or branching, simply a local variation. Local variations becoming branches could certainly make sense, but it would be very slow and it would be something that could be seen through the existing paths, not simply as a one off.

That does not seem to be canon. From HoH:MC p53, “Life on the Threshold of Repose” inset list of actions these nearly ascended magi might take on:

Researching new paths, avenues, and stations.

2 Likes

Not immediately relevant, but one thing I find interesting is that the Greco-Roman pagan scholars of late antiquity would find the Muslim-originated Path of Illumination more like their own writings than any of the Faerie rites of the Theban Merinita. Gemistus Plethon, the 1400s Neoplatonist Byzantine philosopher and perhaps the last of the living intellectual tradition of Greek pagan philosophers, would be much closer in thought to the proposed Illuminationist Criamon than the Magi Ex Miscellanea of Thebes.

1 Like

That sounds like a fantastic idea for a path, albeit too far outside my wheelhouse to provide much guidance, but I'm totally for anything expanding on Criamon paths (or the Criamon in general.)

Yeah, for sure. Proklus and Porphyry are closer to Suhrawardi than they are to the Children of Olympos. I do think that one plus of the Illuminated Path of Walking Backwards is that it allows for easier internal diversity - tasawwuf as represented by the path of walking backward printed certainly has resonances with other mysticisms and self-reflective practices in other religions, but the uniquely Islamic elements are often under emphasized (primarily starting from 1800s Orientalist reads on Sufi texts) and it can be awkward in practice to try and universalize the Path even to other Abrahamic mystics. The Illuminationists, though, expressly see themselves as part of a broader wisdom tradition that includes everything from Pythagoreans to Greco-Roman antique pagans like Iamblichus and Proklus to Christian philosophers like John Damaskinos or Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite - who all in turn saw themselves as part of similar shared intellectual heritage.

3 Likes

Hmm, how many of these non-Islamic traditions are living? I don't disagree of course, but one of the appeals of the Illuminationists to me is that they're pretty much the only living one of these Neoplatonist intellectual traditions. Study of the Platonic scholars has been in steep decline in Byzantium since the 1000s and the West isn't even in contention - like Art and Academe says, they only have the Timaeus of Plato himself and barely know anything about the great Middle and Neo Platonists. Interest in the Pre-Socratics fares even worse, and the paganism of late antiquity is totally dead. But from reading this and the sources you've provided, in the Illuminationists there's a vigorous and innovative scholarly study of all the above, that's what makes them so cool for the Criamon.

1 Like

Definitely. The study of Plato and the Presocratics in the Byzantine Empire has fallen on hard times by the 1200s and not really taken off in the West with strikingly few exceptions. The Illuminationists are important to the Criamon exactly because of this, they're really the only conduit available for much of this as a living tradition, even discounting their own revolutionary ideas on Empedocles and the other Pre-Socratics. I do think that it's important that the Illuminated Path theoretically provides a lot of opportunity for relatively seamless diversity of thought because Mythic Europe and particularly the Order plays it kinda fast and loose with anachronism in the history of ideas as it is - the Criamon being such adept scholars of Empedocles already stretches the imagination. If magi want to be Iamblichan pagan Criamon or Orthodox Criamon who follow Micheal Psellos, that's not too extreme an idea imo.