House Names & Etymology

Any chance we can discuss the origin of the names of the Founders and their Houses, and their meanings. And whether or not we should use alternatives.

For example; Tremere means "to tremble". I'd argue that it was a nickname from his brother. Furthermore, in Timothy Ferguson in his fiction "Mirarion", refers to House Tremere as House Mycetias, which a very quick check says a type of flower, although I vaguely remember that it might be an older name for a region near Greece.

2 Likes

I suspect it was supposed to refer to something like tremendous, although the root of that is still in "to shake"
I find myself wondering at Verditious, which would seem to relate to green, but perhaps it was virtuous given a "twist" that made it less directly related....

The houses were probably named after whatever NPCs that Rein Hagen and Tweet used in their own sagas, so we're stucked with 90s "This sounds cool enough" house names.

If I was completely redoing the houses, I'd either name them after a mythical figure (to suggest the ancient historical or pagan roots you want to) or after a concept (The house of War for military minded magi, or the Fount of Knowledge for the scholastic).

2 Likes