How broad is "travel" as a focus?

How broad is "travel" as a focus?

• Too broad for a Major Magical Focus (i.e. at least as broad as any Technique)
  • Narrow enough for a Major Magical Focus, too broad for a Faerie Focus Power (i.e. at least as broad as any Form)
  • Narrow enough for a Faerie Focus Power, too broad for a Minor Magical Focus (i.e. at least as broad as any Technique+Form combination)
  • Narrow enough for a Minor Magical Focus

0 voters

In my saga a faerie character would take "travel" as a focus power: anything that allows it to assist or impede travel of itself, its allies or its enemies. I think this is a bit broad, but probably not too broad (should be less broad than a single form to qualify, for those who do not have R0P:F). Since I am at it, I'd ask you as well how you would rank it as a Hermetic Magical Focus as well.

Hi,

What is meant by travel? Movement in general or movement on journeys?

FWIW, a minor focus in Pietas includes travel!

Anyway,

Ken

I'd say "getting to places", which I'd say is probably a bit broader than journeys (e.g. it would include entering a guarded keep), but also narrower than movement (e.g. it would not include moving faster in combat).

Ah-ha, interesting. Admittedly, House astrological focuses are pretty wide, but there's still 12 of them, so the scope of each must be narrower than that of a Form.

"Getting to places" includes teleporting from one side of the room to the other. Is that 'travel?'

Your idea of travel is a lot broader than mine. (Not merely a bit broader.)

Major focus.

Ah-ha, interesting. Admittedly, House astrological focuses are pretty wide, but there's still 12 of them, so the scope of each must be narrower than that of a Form.
[/quote]

Not necessarily so; they might simply be special.

Astrological foci are awesome.

Anyway,

Ken

Too obscure wording.

That's borderline. Passing through a barred door from one room to the next would probably fit in. Teleporting around a room in combat so that you constantly have the advantage of surprise would not.

I'm having quite a hard time pinning it down in a concise, foolproof definition, though I do not generally have any hesitation in choosing whether something fits my "understanding" of travel or not.

Uh? I am not sure about what you are saying here. What I was trying to say is that if the 10 Forms encompass every possible effect, then the average house (of which there are 12, with no overlap) must cover less "stuff" then the average form.

Hi,

Ah, I understand what you mean now. And the Houses don't encompass all possible Hermetic effects.

Anyway,

Ken

For me is sufficent for a Minor Focus, because on Rego + Form effect only works in the way that make to go to one Location that should be for least to more taht a Day, if not that it'snt a journey. For same, if a Intellego + Form question don't have ralation to the duration or conditions for the voyage didn't work. In other techniques more forms combinations should'be same. That Focus hasn't relation in combat and is a little help for the story and players. For me, Journey is firstly a use of Area Lore, and being a aspect firstly of that ability (with Artes Liberales and some Professions very related) the is on the Minor Focus theme.

I think thats a pretty good way to handle it and i agree with it. Good enough that i voted minor.

Thanks DIREWOLF75, and an little appointment,, the Journey is related to Arthletics (maybe Swim) too.