How fast do magi gain warping points

Hey,
As a SG of my group, I am creating a very old wizard residing in the winter-covenant my groups is going to rejuvenate. My plan is to let the wizard die of old age/final twilight pretty soon. I tested the old age option, but as he is pretty good in creo and corpus, he should be really old (somewhere around 130/140). Thus he will probably ends up in final twilight, but I have no idea how fast this will go. From the text I assume that it is very dependant on what kind of caharcter he is. But I am mainly in what magnitude I should think.
Thanks, Thijs

I don't believe a general guideline can be made. As you point out it is very dependant on what kind of character he is, meaning what activities does he do that can cause warping points. In my previous saga we had a Bonisagus who was only 73 when he came very close to final twillight (He needed one more twillight point before final twillight in 4th ed.) but he lived on for another twenty years until he got his final twillight point from his longevity potion.
In 5th ed. it can take even longer since you need to gain at least two points in one go in order to enter twillight and he will only gain one at a time every year from his longevity potion. My suggestion would be for there to be some unfinished buisness, lab work for example, which he feels he must complete before passing on. He is then forced, or feels forced to, be more risky than he otherwise would be, and as a result suffers a twillight episode whenever you as the storyguide feels it is appropriate for the saga.
Or maybe you can have him save the players from disaster/destruction using his powerful magics but while casting the spell botches and goes twillight. He blasts the evil thingy saves the players but when the dust settles he is nowhere to be seen. A heroic death!

Hope it helps you.

Flarg

Man, just trying to figure out some sort of average makes my head hurt, maybe I'm in Twilight myself.

Note that a very safe and lucky wizard could avoid Twilight all together by never casting spells in a stress situation, and avoiding powerful magics. He could live eternally, gaining one Warping point each year. After about 300 years, he would likely go from never having seen a Twilight to Final Twilight the first time he had to make a roll, but still, being cautious, it might never come up. So such a mage would default to his Longevity Potion to find his likely death date. A more risk taking Criamon might fit in this catagory also, as his potion is more likely to crap out then his Enigmatic Wisdom Score vs Warping Score (essentially, he will likely earn, on average, more than experience to Enigmatic Wisdom vs Warping Points).

I think it's safe to say an active Wizard gets two warping points a year, one for his Longevity Potion and one for some mishap, encounter, experiment, etc. At this rate things begin to look grim aroung 125, and such a magi is only waiting for the Twilight Advoidance roll to fail to have a quite likely Final Twilight. Still, decades could pass before such a roll is required and failed, especially for a Vim expert.

Intelligence is quite important to these calculations, and I've sort of ball-parked 2 as an average Wizard Intelligence. As Intelligence is one of the least likely Stats to be reduced by aging, and as magics exhist to increase them, it is possiable for a quite intelligent mage (+5) to add 150 years to his life if he is careful and almost that much if he isn't.

Note that on average a normal PC will live to about 100, while a CrCo master could add 200 years to that. I think most Magi, unless they have a CrCo master on retainer, will last about 80 years longer.

All these are of course very rough estimates. Your mileage may vary.

Serf's Parma, but Enigmatic Wisdom doesn't reduce Twilight duration.

I think that the big determinant of final twilight age would be how many botch dice the character rolls. At some point any double botch will mean that the character isn't comming back.

Any character with a golden cord of strength five is not likely to have a final twilight when he's not in a hostile aura.

A Bjornaer with the uncontrolled magic flaw is not going to live to see 150 no matter how good his ageing potion is.

Thijs,

Why are you worried about the rules mechanics in this situation?

If the premise of the foundation of your campaign is "the PC magi come to a winter covenant with one ancient magus, and he will pass on soon", then let him pass on (death/twilight/run off to marry the mythic european version of Anna Nicole Smith/whatever) whenever you feel like it is the right time.

Don't worry about rolling dice!

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
Athena Coaching

It really depends on how fast you want the wizard to gain warping. If he stays away from casting to many volatile spells, or experimenting the lab, or spending time in warping producing effects/auras, he won't have to worry that much. If you want him to gain warping quicker, magical effects, certain lab activities, botching spells with large amounts of vis, etc. will get him there faster (enigmas gift always works too).

Upon looking deeper, it SORTA does, but not directly as I had assumed by the TWILIGHT COMPREHENSION Formula. If the Twilight Comprehension roll fails, you spend the base time in Twilight depending on your Warping Score, if it succeeds you have a chance to spend less time.

You make a good point DC, however I would want to have some sort of sense of what age I would want to set a wizard's age to indicate that he was approaching Twilight. If you have even the most gross idea of "typical" death or Twilight then you can define your world.

This guy is really old, he's 150.

This guy is young to have entered Twilight at 75.

There's something weird about this Magus living to 350...

It also indicates how much direct knowledge is availible to the order. There are living members who have memory of the last Century. Hell someone could have talked to someone who talked to someone who talked to Christ. I have things in my family 4 generations old...think how old that would be for a mages.

Thank you all, I was planning to set the time for final twilight myself, but I had no clue about a realistic age and moment. Your responses do help me a lot. As I have 2 other storyguides in my group and I want to make a story after the death of the magus I will wait until there is some rest in the story.

You want to look at this then:
http://www.durenmar.de/aging/
It is a mathmatical analysis of ageing in fifth edition ars. They had to make several assumptions about mythic Europe but you'll at least have a base line to work from and adjust to match the assumptions of your game.