How much does a teacher charge?

But the only Ability that applies this season is Single Weapon if this is Training. It applies to both for his own practice with them and explicitly to the Training he would be doing. No?

I have some slight unease about the training rules as is, now I have been prompted to think about it. Surely even in a workshop environment having to keep an eye out on another person's work should distract you a little?

Maybe a house rule would be that a trainer has minus one to their applicable seasonal total (Lab for magi, Workshop total for craftsmen) whilst they are training? That way we can put them both on the same footing.

Bob Dillon

Most importantly, and I forgot to mention this in refuting your example, callen, training is defined as being explicitly one-on-one.

I think the idea is that the work you get from the trainee balances the work you lose from training them.

And then comes the question of earning a living- and there, it depends: should making charged items for sale be allowed but making charged items for the covenant or your own use be disallowed? Is earning vis earning a living? To the degree that mages do anything to earn a living lab work is where it would be earned.

Right, and my argument there was that if you were going to treat a season of lab work as a magus "earning a living" by using his Magic Theory ability, then treat it as it is treated as part of a lab total, it's but a component. Capping the SQ to a ratio of Magic Theory/Te+Fo is going to tamp down on the SQ for pretty much everyone, even those with MT of 10 or more.

It doesn't explicitly mention Magic Theory, but Apprentices page 44 mentions that magi can indeed use Training for their apprentice. However, it's not something that's done while in the lab; when apprentices are Trained by magi, it counts as one of their seasons of magical instruction. Take that information as you will.

Ah, that does make that example pretty obviously not Training.