I'm about to get Tribunal'ed, need legal defense

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :slight_smile:

I think Jade's original post describes what he did (albeit nothing of any true affront to either the Code or the peripheral code) to get himself into this mess (or more rightly to inspire others to put him in this mess. :wink:

Yes, by following my roleplay advice as to your character's first order of business. Write those missives and get other Houses inflamed at the strong potential this political assault on you will have upon their House self-interests.

Also covered in my previous response to your quandry. Those within House Guernicus who choose the role of Advocate, do so precisely because they wish to defend the weaker and poorer magi against the machinations of the stronger (individuals or groups). Their fees according to canon are reasonable and the advocate will first try to ascertain the legitimacy of the charges and then broker settlement if such be warranted in order to avoid tribunal proceedings.

In your case, you may have more to win by procuring an Advocate (who will undoubtedly have the capacity to bring in additional quesitorial investigators if required) but not agreeing to settlement (since this IS a wrongful political assault in actuality). Let it go to tribunal once you have also secured collaborative support from the other Houses.

I suggest this strongly since as you say, you DON'T have the charm or guile or intrigue to hope that you might deliver a sufficiently stirring oration at tribunal on your behalf to instantly sway opinion in your favour. Especially so, if your unknown antagonist DOES have the intrigue and oratory skills you lack.

By playing the "look at the potential fallout this could have on your interests" card with strong houses in the tribunal, you essentially pass the onus to them to ensure what must be said is said and said well enough to mitigate the threat presented to you.

Hope that clarifies it sufficiently. :wink:

Now get to it!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Also, if it looks like you might actually be called upon to speak before the Tribunal, practice the following speech, "I cannot possibly add anything to what my esteemed Advocate has so clearly presented. I will not bore you with repetition. Thank you." Then sit down!

Seriously, practice it. Say it in front of a mirror until you don't look stupid saying it... Don't improvise. That's the job of your advocate...

If nothing else, this will give the other characters a good laugh if they catch you at it...:laughing:

(Of course, if I were the Story Guide, I'd let you play the advocate during the Tribunal. Your mage will probably be trying to keep a low profile and you'd certainly be motivated... :wink: )

Sit vis vobiscum,

ShopKeepJon