infernal vis

We've recently obtained ~12 infernal mentum vis and are unsure what to do with it...

What kinda results would you expect from from using it in limited amounts?

increased number of boch dice?
infernal attention?
Spell that goes slightly wrong?

Is there some way if could be purified?

have it blessed?
leave in divine aura?

Or would it be better to get rid of it, or just keep it locked up?

Tainted vis cannot be cleansed.

Your best (safest anyway) course is to trade it. You might be able to hide the taint from the buyer thus getting a good price (and perhaps an enemy) or make an honest deal.

If you cannot or will not trade the vis you should probaply use it to boost a spell (preferably cast on someone else).
There is some risk but it is usually better than using it for items, familiars or longevity rituals. You might get some warped effects (or extra botchdice) from the boosted spell but it is usually preferable to lasting effects where the taint lingers. A member of my covenant once used tainted vis for a crown giving the wearer an aura of authority but after years of use he became tainted with evil.

I hope this answers your questions

Yours sincerly

Tiberius of house Tremere

Tainted vis cannot be cleansed.

Your best (safest anyway) course is to trade it. You might be able to hide the taint from the buyer thus getting a good price (and perhaps an enemy) or make an honest deal.

If you cannot or will not trade the vis you should probaply use it to boost a spell (preferably cast on someone else).
There is some risk but it is usually better than using it for items, familiars or longevity rituals. You might get some warped effects (or extra botchdice) from the boosted spell but it is usually preferable to lasting effects where the taint lingers.

Yours sincerly

Tiberius of house Tremere

:smiling_imp:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

or of course, summon your own demons with it. :smiling_imp:

This vis is most certainly tainted (botched the last one - must be the infernal heat - so now I'm trying to rewrite my post)

I would use some or all of the above, but foremost I'd whack my brain trying to find insidious ways in the storytelling to let the involved spell/item/longevity turn things wicked.

Using the game mechanics to show the corruption is fine, but to me only part of the story. I'd prefer setting a scene or telling of surprising, subtile or downright harrowing side-effects of the magic. If it is possible to "play" this effect in a manner that wasn't possibly conceivable by the troupe the better, letting the infernal has it's way in a non-expected way.

Do any of the Magi have Divine Virtues of any kind?
Infernal flaws?
Had Pater warned them against the Infernal?
Magic Theory with a specialization in Infernal (or Tytalus)

Most Magi would be confident in their power
and see little reason to think that they could be "tempted"
or influenced by Infernal Taint.
After all they have "Demon's Eternal Oblivion" to use.

If they normally do not have this much Vis to play with ,
why not invest it in a Device.
Like Ye Olde Magic Mirror.
(or a Scrying Pool)
Of course they would never consider using it to spy on their Sodales. :unamused:

Perhaps they can find some dusty Lab Notes by "accident"
(an Infernal one)
that saves them having to research making a scrying device.

If any botch dice crop up during the process ,
save them to use as part of the completed item.
(when you use an invested power , add the extra dice to a roll ,
not all the time , but at ST Fiat regarding Infernal Plots).

Powers could include
Clairaudience and Clairvoyance.
Discerning whether anyone is telling the truth.
Showing auras.
Possibly have it occasionally break a Hermetic Limit.

A devil might even play the magi on this - not only driving them to using the tainted vis, to whatever effect, but moreso to make them indulge in Pride, a cardinal sin! :smiling_imp:

(as if most magi hadn't already passed down that road long ago.... :laughing: )

I'd make the infernally tainted Vis really nice to use. Give a +1 to Casting Total, and make replenishment available almost immediately.

That'd scare the players silly. :wink:

Cheers,

--d

That's a brilliant strategy! Know many role players that it would work on!

I'd try to stall until Realms of Power: Infernal came out to see what it suggests.