Initiation Scripts

I am working on developing some initiation scripts for the Choir of Arion (From Living Lore) for my saga. Would it be appropriate to post them here for comment as they are based on a published work?

I don't know, but I'll bump this by saying I'd like ot see it, and hope John or Michelle or David comments...

cj x

I'd like to see it too...the Ride of Arion seems to have some possibilities as an ordeal.

[quote="Timothy Fergusoncj
I'd like to see it too...the Ride of Arion seems to have some possibilities as an ordeal.[/quote]

Yes , although I am not quite sure which flaw it should result in, apart from probably some risk of death

Would be great to see this expanded into a mystery cult. A few thoughts on ordeal and flaws:

: swimming with the fishes (or aquatic mammals)
: animal companion (story flaw - established the relationship)
: obligation or duty to cult (more of a flaw, doesn't seem like an ordeal unless combined with a quest)
: adopt the pagan flaw (Poseiden)?

Would you beleive I had missed this one as a potential flaw/ordeal

I don't see a problem with it. We encourage people to post spells and enchanted items, after all, and those are based on published work.

Here are the initiation scripts I have come up with so far, this is my first draft to give to players in my saga. Also at the moment I am using a mix between 4th and 5th editions (my saga predates 5th edition so a change over has not occurred) so some virtue names maybe from 4th.

Sorcerous Music
The Initiate must travel to Taranto , perform in the musical competition there on the 4th of March and receive the applause of the crowd, he must then sacrifice the prize for the contest to the sea. (Travel +3, quest +3, sacrifice +1, appropriate +2) total +9

Special circumstances Sea
The initiate must travel between Corinth and Taranto by boat without paying for the journey, while travelling between the two cities he must swim with the dolphin’s . On arrival at Taranto he must swear an Oath to Poseidon never to allow a Dolphin or Horse to be harmed. (Minor Ordeal +3, quest +3, appropriate +1) total +7

Hermetic Theurgy
The Initiate must spend a season in prayer to Poseidon using prayers From the Hymn’s of Poseidon while being taught the mysteries of theurgy by the Mystagogue, he must then spend a season assisting the Mystagogue in magical activities
(+2 for 2nd initiation after a minor ordeal, being taught +3, appropriate +1 , time +1) +7

Enchanting Music
The initiate must go into a location under the control of a stranger or an enemy and persuade him to give up something of value to himself purely by persuasion and the initiate’s music, he must then sacrifice his favourite musical instrument to the cult as a gift to the Mystagogue
(+1 for 3rd initiation after an ordeal, Quest +3, appropriateness +1,sacrifice +1) +6

Hermetic sacrifice
Travel to the Thessaly , and to the foothills of the Olympus Plateau , there capture one of the wild stallions roaming the foothill’s. Bring it back to an alter of Poseidon located in or on the sea, then sacrifice the horse to Poseidon as outlined in the Hymn’s of Poseidon on the 1st day of Winter. Then without setting foot on land journey beyond the pillars of Hercules , locate some dolphin’s and give to them a coral statue of a horse set with Aquamarine eyes crafted by the initiate
(+3 quest, +1 time and place, +1 sacrifice, +2 journey) +7

Parhedros -Theurgic spirit familiar
The Initiate must swim with a pod of Dolphin’s in the Adriatic winning their friendship through action , he must then rescue one of the dolphin’s of the pod he has befriended from some mortal danger. He must then travel with this dolphin by his own power to Corinth and persuade the dolphin to beach itself on the beach where Arion came ashore on the morning of the anniversary of Arion’s arrival, he must then return the Dolphin to the sea.
(Quest +3, travel+3) total +6

Affinity with Aquam
The initiate spends a season in meditation at an alter to Poseidon....

Names of Power

Invocation Magic
Ascendancy to the hall of heroes
Not known but probably includes re-enacting Arion’s ordeal. This one the PC's will have to develop

Very nice. Sign me up for this Mystery

I'm working on putting together a couple of the mystery cults from the 4th ed (Golden Bee and Mantes). Should post soon.

I think one of the best things done with the 5th edition is introduce modularity into the design of mystery cults.

Finished off with the remaining inititiation scripts

Sorcerous Music 6
The Initiate must travel to Taranto , perform in the musical competition there on the 4th of March and receive the applause of the crowd, he must then sacrifice the prize for the contest to the sea. (Travel +3, quest +3, sacrifice +1, appropriate +2) total +9
Special circumstances Sea 8
The initiate must travel between Corinth and Taranto by boat without paying for the journey, while travelling between the two cities he must swim with the dolphin’s . On arrival at Taranto he must swear an Oath to Poseidon never to allow a Dolphin or Horse to be harmed. (Minor Ordeal +3, quest +3, appropriate +1) total +7
Hermetic Theurgy 8
The Initiate must spend a season in prayer to Poseidon using prayers From the Hymn’s of Poseidon while being taught the mysteries of theurgy by the Mystagogue, he must then spend a season assisting the Mystagogue in magical activities
(+2 for 2nd initiation after a minor ordeal, being taught +3, appropriate +1 , time +1) +7
Enchanting Music 9
The initiate must go into a location under the control of a stranger or an enemy and persuade him to give up something of value to himself purely by persuasion and the initiate’s music, he must then sacrifice his favourite musical instrument to the cult as a gift to the Mystagogue
(+1 for 3rd initiation after an ordeal, Quest +3, appropriateness +1,sacrifice +1) +6
Hermetic sacrifice 8
Travel to the Thessaly , and to the foothills of the Olympus Plateau , there capture one of the wild stallions roaming the foothill’s. Bring it back to an alter of Poseidon located in or on the sea, then sacrifice the horse to Poseidon as outlined in the Hymn’s of Poseidon on the 1st day of Winter. Then without setting foot on land journey beyond the pillars of Hercules , locate some dolphin’s and give to them a coral statue of a horse set with Aquamarine eyes crafted by the initiate
(+3 quest, +1 time and place, +1 sacrifice, +2 journey) +7
Parhedros -Theurgic spirit familiar 9
The Initiate must swim with a pod of Dolphin’s in the Adriatic winning their friendship through action , he must then rescue one of the dolphin’s of the pod he has befriended from some mortal danger. He must then travel with this dolphin by his own power to Corinth and persuade the dolphin to beach itself on the beach where Arion came ashore on the morning of the anniversary of Arion’s arrival, he must then return the Dolphin to the sea.
(Quest +3, travel+3) total +6
Affinity with Aquam 8
The initiate must by his own powers survive for a season at sea in the Adriatic without the help of any other and finish by travelling to a sacred site of the cult there he must renounce the use of fire magic’s and spend a season of his time aiding the Mystagogue in her works
(Quest +3, ordeal deficient form(Ignem), time +1)
Ways of the Sea 7
The initiate spends a season serving the Mystagogue to prove their worthiness and then if the Mystagogue judges them fit to proceed they must spend a season in meditation at an alter to Poseidon, and then if they have performed the ritual correctly swears to praise Poseidon above all other gods (Ordeal acquiring Pagan Flaw) and sacrifice to him a golden crown by throwing it into the deep sea.
(Upgrade special circumstances Sea to Ways of the Sea +3, Major Ordeal +9, sacrifice material +1, sacrifice time +1)
Or
The initiate spends a season serving the Mystagogue to prove their worthiness and then if the Mystagogue judges them fit to proceed the initiate stands before an alter of Poseidon and pledges to sacrifice part of his life to Poseidon (if he is accepted he acquires the flaw lycanthrope (dolphin or horse) and sacrifice to him a golden crown by throwing it into the deep sea.
(Upgrade special circumstances Sea to Ways of the Sea +3, Major Ordeal +9, sacrifice material +1, sacrifice time +1)

Names of Power 9(6)
The initiate spends a season learning the secret names from the mytagogue before seeking the acceptance of Poseidon by spending the night of the full moon in prayer before the initiate’s alter to Poseidon
(Second initiation following a major ordeal +6, Mystagogue’s time +3)
Or 10(7)
The Initiate spends a season learning the secret names from the Mystagogue (training in choir of arion lore), and then is marked by the power of Poseidon, The initiate is taken to a cave along the shore of the Adriatic which will flood with the rising tide and chained to the rocks at sunrise, they are left there until the sun rises again and if Poseidon has accepted them they will have blue veins of seawater moving beneath their skin (usually the torso moving in time with the initiates breathing)
(Season of Mystagogues time +3, Minor ordeal (disfigured) +3, appropriateness +2)
Invocation Magic 18(9)
The initiate must recreate one of Poseidon’s legendry pursuits of the objects of his affections taking the role of either Poseidon or the subject of his affections , this will involve finding an appropriate supernatural being to fill the roll of Poseidon or the object of his affections. Completing this recreation gains the initiate the flaw lecherous or Curse of Venus)
(Quest +3, Major ordeal +9,)

I think perhaps Performance Magic might be included somewhere.

I am still using 4th edition with added bits of 4th edition as the saga predates 5th edition(slightly) .
Performance Magic(Music) is in there as Sorcerous Music