InTe Spells

It seems rather bothersome to me to have a Concentration-duration spell you have to cast as a Ritual...

Why couldn't the spell be designed as T:Part for part of the earth? With no size and material limitations in RAW using boundary seems unneeded.

That said using T: Part with a size adjustment might be a house rule compromise.

I think the Conc only makes sense if the information comes in gradually, and for a ritual that is a frustrating and a risk of wasted vis.

I also question if the base 15 makes sense, as I think the meaning of composite is composite of materials outside Terram. That lines up with the typical baselines for other forms. All the properties of a thing at 10 is enough.

I agree that you don't need Boundary by the RAW!
Of course, you can always just add magnitudes if it doesn't feel right -- ArM5 does it itself with Sense the feet that tread the Earth (which, incidentally, provides a good example of how precise and complex is the information one can get from the Base 4 guideline).
But if someone feels locating ores in a mountain range is too easy with a few InTe10 spells, a somewhat less arbitrary alternative is to declare it a Ritual because it's "mighty".

If you are familiar with numbers in texts, you know, that

doesn't need to be rephrased if the creature actually weighs 55 stones, is only 90 rods distant, and the direction is 15 degrees off.

Cheers

I would think easiest path would be possible under most circumstances (assuming there isn't a treacherous cliff face in all directions and you are trying to figure out which to send someone up or something similar), as it is mostly finding the path with the gentlest slopes.

I was getting confused by the guideline used by Sense the Feet that Thread the Earth, between the two lvl 4

• "See an object and its surroundings"
  • "learn one mundane property of an object"

I thought that maybe it was using the first one, which should really read "Sense" rather than "See".
But actually, reading this thread makes me realize that it's reading the pressure and vibrations on the ground...

To use the "See an object and its surrounding" guideline, you need a costly +4 magnitudes to add Vision

Now I'm worried if my alternate works: do I need a Target:Road rather than Range? :confused:
Edit: I check RoP:F p122-123 for Faerie Parameters, and didn't see Road as a Target either, so I'm going to assume that to affect the Road itself, Range:Road Target:Ind or nil would do...

I'm targeting the Road rather than the people on it, like the original spell targets the ground.
It takes only [Range+2] instead of [Range+1, Part+1, Size+3], for a much more limited (but highly interesting) area.

(I had a little reddit discussion on the subject)

Edit: I realize that This is not Range:Road but Target:Road (Neo-Mercurian Magic, reserved for mages with the Mercurian Magic Major Hermetic Virtue, TM:RE p116) :frowning:

Is this the one?

page 113 of the core book says that intellego spells are not effected by size but as this thread is showing, that causes problems for Intellego Terram and I suspect any spell where you want to examine a portion of a larger thing. It's fine to say that you can cast converse with plant and tree or eye of the sage on really big targets but It doesn't always work.

In searching for gold, one could use target sight intellego spell in conjunction with a spell to see through stone more deeply than Miner's Keen Eye. But I imagine you'd rather work out how you could do it in the original way rather than a different way.