Interest in Atlas Play by Post?

I would be bored stupid with a combat that took twenty days to resolve.

Tabletop battles can take hours to resolve relatively short combats ,
but i don't expect these times to escalate to weeks of time in PbP.

True, it's a completely different format with different dynamics. Anyone expecting it to run the same way is going to be disappointed. I quite like the more contemplative pace, along with the stronger narrative and writing element to it. But I still expect daily posting from players, and a fair amount of initiative taken by them to drive things along.

Let's try this again... for some reason there's no edit button, so I'll apologize for the double posting. The posting prior to this one can be deleted.

Herein lies a problem - not everyone involved can post on a daily basis. I had this problem when Foxcourt started - while several players posted from work during thier breaks, or from home, some had intermittent access (AOL service in rural areas) or could only access from school or a public access (library). One of the first complaint's I had to deal with was that people were posting too much for the people with limited access to keep up. When that player dropped out (for some rather weird reasons), things went much smoother.

Players who show initiative definitely help the GM's task (it also makes things much more fun for all involved). So does having what I'll call a 20 questions sheet; A list of answers to 20 common questions, that represents what the characters basically know; This is so posters can have trivial conversations with other characters and not have to wait 2-3 days for a reply, and be reasonably sure it isn't out of character. Once everyone gets a handle on the personalities, this becomes redundant.

Having the GM keep the player's goals (among other things) in sight also helps to move things along.

Steve

I'm on board with Steve. The nature of PbP is very different than electronic table top, or IM. It's a pace that is significantly slower and well suited for those that want to PbP. Not for those who want to IM or electronic Table Top.

The guys I found that participate in the Feng Shui game live in various parts of the country. We all have full time jobs, wives, and no one to play Feng Shui with. So once or twice a day I check the site, see what's gone on before me and post appropriately.

It's not suppose to be table top, IM, or electronic Table Top. It's a unique version of the game. If it's not your taste so be it. Another thread discussed the possiblity of Ars Magica becoming an Electronic Table Top game.

I personally don't want to put the effort into uploading all the information for a e-Table Top game. I'd much rather engage in the writing process as a mild breather every day. No PbP isn't the 3 hour rush of a table top session, but it's nice break during the day. I can quick go to the sight and get a mini-fix in whenever I want.

And if the style isn't to your taste, that doesn't mean it couldn't be entertaining for others. Steve ran a game that had no features held at RPOL and it was good because the various writers were good. Certainly the bells and whistles of RPOL are nice, but they aren't necessary.

I think Atlas could start with a simply format, a variant of this system. If PbP post took off and they were hosting numerous Atlas games, then a more sophisticated system could be put in place. But in terms of work effort and cost, I think the prudent thing to do is start a system based on this forum, a system they have in place.

I also play in a Unknown Armies game at RPOL and I'd still love to start an Ars Game with Kryslin. It would be nice to see what others do with the game as well as participate with people besides my table top crew. I hope they consider adding PbP to the system.

I've got no problem with PbP being slower, and indeed at a completely different kind of frequency to tabletop. There are no "sessions", instead you get continuous play that doesn't require everyone to be in the same place at the same time.

But that doesn't mean glacially slow is the only option for PbP. I've got a game running right now with daily posting and a lot happening. It's action-focused in the Feng Shui style, and we've just hit the final battle. I started it today, I fully expect it to be resolved by mid-week. Because simpler systems can allow you to pack a lot more stuff in without having to stop for dice-rolls or redirection from the GM.

Since there seems to be a number of people who would want to play a PbP here if Atlas had the forum for it, I'll run an Ars game when the PbP section opens. I've got some 30 years of gaming material to fall back on (15 of it Ars), So I could probably come up with something interesting... :open_mouth:

Steve

I am allready runing a bit of a PbP over at the FantasyGrounds forum... It will probably move to the program for a bit too later on, but I see no reason why I couldn't run a thread-based version as well of the same scenario.

( Year 1530 with a order in Decline seeking protection from a papal clergy that has grown incresingly hostile with the advent of the protestant teachings. )

Cool!
Maybe Mustellus Rattus will finally get some play time...

:slight_smile:

Ok, so where do we sign in? I have a bad mouthed grog that wants to see some action (or be trashed for bragging too much in front of a powerful foe) :laughing:

Xavi

I think I could run a continual game fairly easily via post. The storytelling aspect makes things incredibly easy. I'd have to figure out a mechanic for assigning things to people, not to mention a format, but I think it could make a fun running game. Not to mention the obvious benefits of promoting the upcoming... :wink:

We had quite a good response to my thread about hosting Play by Post forums, so I've gone ahead and set them up ... they should be all ready to go! Please read the directions in the Play by Post Announcements area before posting. Otherwise, enjoy!