Interlude: Garcin and Kawthar

"Certainly my child, do you wish to use the confessional?"

Anontius nods:

"This will be appropriate... however it not I am worried about but someone else..."

Both walks towards the confessional and then enter it.

"Last summer, a few associates of mine were into Pisa, and there they ran into a young moorish woman that appeared in distress..."

Antonius will then share with Father Ratzinger what he has been told about Kawthar, about her abusive captivity and eventual escape.

"Unfortunately, some still own slave, and although sad, her story is far from uncommon. Her captor was a violent man, true, but he was of the most vilest; not only did he beat her, he had dogs defile her womanhood multiple times... while sprinkling holy water with an aspergillum and chanting in Latin. The later part, I infered from what the muslim girl told me, as she described it as a metal rod and she does not understand latin."

"If this is true, that this priest must be exposed for what he his and his corrupting influence ended for good. He is soiling the Church with every breath he takes. I have no doubt that the Holy See will investigate these allegations, but I wish to offer my assistance to whomever will investigate this."

"I am not certain it would be investigated. I don't know how familiar you are with the situation in the fifth crusade, but Fredrick II is starting to take some heat from the Pope for his lack of participation, and an allegation like this from an uncertain source, pardon my saying so, for while I have no doubt of your sincerity there is no way for me to properly convey that to anyone whom I would write to regarding this manner, I likely to be seen as an attempt to redirect political fallout rather than a serious issue to be handled by the church. If you wish I can still write the letter, and providence may shine and my superiors will surprise us, but it is not something I would count on, much less you receiving an invitation to participate."

"No, there is no need to write a letter through the official channels if you feel it would lead nowhere. I will take the matter in my own hands then. Is there someone you trust, that would be familiar with church officials in Lombardia that could help me?"

When they are done discussing this matter, the magus will bring up another of his concern.

"There is something else I wanted to discuss. As you might know, my associate and I have founded a small town on the land that belongs to the Al Faquesh family, and as of the christian of our community needs to go far each Sunday to assist to hear the word of God and receive the sacramant of the eucharist and make act of penance. I was wondering if something could be arranged?"

Ratzinger sighs "Unfortunately I am currently the only priest assigned to Malta. I'm afraid the Bishop of Sicily has a great many other matters on his mind, though at least this request is one I expect he will be willing to be responsive to, if he can find someone to ordain for the position that he is willing to spare. This request I will most certainly forward to him."