Interoggatory of Antione

"My apologies, I was thinking of throwing a masked ball." she smiles slightly. "Though hopefully it will end better than the last party."

Pere speaks up. I disagree. At the risk of turning this interview into a philosophical debate, I'm of the opinion that every man or woman has his or her price. Not necessarily a monetary or even physical price, but there is something that can get every person to break vows and betray secrets. I see Antoine's awareness of his price to be a point in his favor.

[color=red]Hey, your precedent may well be his saving grace. And he has no choice but to be honest, he is ensorcelled to do so.
So what are you saying? That I wasn't honest? Or that I do not truly love my Princess?
I will tell what my truth is. There is always a way to win. Failure to do so is personal defeciency. You should still try!

c3men rolls her eyes. There are tolorances. Several of us have odd answers, but reasonable. They are all saved in our permanent records. So far he has my support.

Peace, brother. I mean to cast no aspersions on anyone here. I do not doubt that your love is true; and it is clear to me that you are a man of action, perhaps more than I am. Certainly, in this hypothetical situation, I agree that I would try to rescue my Isolde by whatever means I could contrive; but perhaps I simply see in myself a limit to my efforts that you do not have. Either way, I meant no ill-will to you. Nor to this covenant.

[color=red]Not you. You're fine. Pere over there, he gave us a flat out mercenary answer to that question and they still let him in. But still, it is something to think about. I don't believe in the "no win" situation, and I would encourage others to think likewise.

Arachné snickers

I happen to agree with young Roberto here. Once you give way to the ennemy, you've lost everything already.
Although this means one thing: Should that... Isolde, isn't it? dissappear, we know we wouldn't be able to trust Antoine anymore. Not that this is much of a warning...

"Plus someone would have to penetrate our defenses to obtain her. More or less. I vote he is accepted."

Solomon frowns at Roberto's words and then shoots Arachné scowl, "Antoine is correct; every person has their breaking point; to refute that, is to refute one's own mortality. That you have not yet found yours, simply means that you have not yet been fully tested. Only one man born on this Earth was beyond reproach and incapable of failure, and it was through His death and His grace that we unfortunate beings may eventually bask in His glory in Heaven. To believe you are incapable of failure is to compare yourself to him, and treads closely on blasphemy. I have seen many a man who believed their will was strong enough to resist all temptation and I have had to kill many of them after the Infernal proved them wrong

If you choose to believe that you are in fact invincible and incapable of failure, then that is your choice. But I for one prefer that we all recognize our limitations so that the covenant can be prepared for any eventuality. I for one will not fault this magus for being human and recognizing that he may have a weakness. He has my support."

[color=red]Woah! You are putting words in my mouth. The man has my support too, if that puts your mind at ease. I was just bringing forth the philosophical discussion Pere asked for.
And no, I do not believe that I or any other mortal is infallable. Only Christ. But you touch on my point concerning the hypothetical "no win" situation. Every problem has a solution and every conflict a resolution. The inability to achieve such is the failing of the individual. And we can and have all failed at some point. I have good friends have died because of my failures in battle. But failure was not by choice. To admit you have a price is to choose failure before even trying.
Antoine, suppose some villan abducted your lady and was demanding that you provide Aegis tokens or some Arcane Connections. You are reasonably certain that, if you take bold action and perhaps ask for our assistance, you can defeat this foe and rescue your love without betraying the covenant. But there is always that slim chance that you could fail. Spells botch and $#!+ happens.
Would you still take the chance?
Solomon, you do misread me so redilly. What you mistake as pride and arrogance I assure you are instead confidence and faith.

((BTW, the way I an playing the role of Roberto is being strongly influenced by Captain Kirk :mrgreen: ))

Lucas follows the conversation, but waits for a lull before he speaks. "I've had more time to get to know Antoine," he says, "And I find him to be a fine, upstanding fellow. His answers don't bother me at all. I also have a wife I love dearly, as well as children who mean the world to me. Clearly, the best way for someone to get to me would be through them. That's why Cecilia and I go to great pains to make sure the children are looked after properly. Of course, should anyone threaten my family, I'd certainly trust them far less than I'd trust my sodales. I like to think that I'd find a way to warn at least someone on the council of what was going on to minimize the damage done and maximize the chance of keeping my family safe. Alone I can do only so much. But united, we're a force to be reckoned with. Much like Roberto, I believe that there is little that a group such as ourselves cannot accomplish if we work together."

"But I digress. Let me say for the record that I approve of Antoine's petition for membership."

Would I take the chance? Certainly. Not to do so would be unthinkable - it is our duty as magi to be bold in this world and stand up for what is right. I would in all cases take all possible steps to preserve those I love, and my covenant. I simply lay an emphasis on "possible".

In any case, I thank you, all, for your words of support.

Pere just smiles a little smile and stays out of the debate. As things reach a lull, he says As I feared. Rather than further distract us all, I will simply say that I support Antoine's application for membership.

Vocis says I also support his application, but I want to ensure we all understand the consequences of bestowing pledge status on him. My understanding is a pledge is nothing more than a protected guest whose petition for membership has not been heard. Given that, one of us would simply need to invite him to stay here and no vote is required at this time. This would suggest that he is being loaned the use of Vulcanus's forge to prove his worth before we vote on his journeyman status. Is my understanding accurate? And will serving as a pledge in this manner result in him being stationed in Andorra rather than Sa Dragonera upon acceptance as a journeyman?

[color=red]"I also vote aye," Vibria says.

She's been rather quiet for most, if not all, of the meeting, and looks like she's lost in thought.

Something like that. Solomon knows the rules better than I do. What I am thinking is to keep him here at Arans working the forge. He can use the notes and texts and items Vulcanus accumulated. His letter of resignation was quite clear (handwave). He quit and has abandon his sanctum.
As for Pledge status, it is unfair to grant him instant journeyman status with his being posted here. But I think we can vote to accept him conditionally, active after a certain period of service and observation.

Arachné thinks a little
I concurr. No sense in sending our verditius away from vulcanus .. forge.
But in doing so, he don't get the Sa Dragonera "fast track", which is fair, and as intended. I wouldn't accept him blindingly, though, even if he sure bears promise.
For the moment, he has my vote. He seems like a fine magus, and I am sure he'll be a great asset to this covenant. Better than his predecessor, anyway.

Oh my! <3
He was very influential to me when I was a toddler, although more for his willigness to do the right thing, and try to talk things out.

:mrgreen:
Carmen looks around at everyone. I suppose that, unless there are any dissensions, you are now a Pledge and a Probationary member.

So it is, then.

Welcome to Andorra, Antoine. Hope you survive the experience. :confused:

Antoine bows, and smiles at his new covenant companions. Thank you, sodales. I think I'll manage to live for a bit yet!

((Fin.))