Into the Levant (spring 1236)

"Certainly, we can recommend a good inn in that area with which we have some good connections, though they aren't used to serving gifted clients, the relationship will certainly weather that issue. And we do in fact have a gate close to Jerusalem, we try not to use it too much to avoid drawing attention since it is in contested territory, about half way between Jaffa and Jerusalem."

A humble little inn would be perfect. My plan was to travel by flying carpet, but if you reccomend staying low key we would like to use the portal.

"Actually using the carpet would help keep the location of the gate secret, since you won't be appearing midway along the road. A couple of pawns of vis should cover all of the costs."

Works for me. Anyone heard from Praelix?

I hadn't seen the thread.

The Levant, madam Pontifex?! I only agreed to visit your mother in Barcelona! Although... I suppose it would be nice to get out of the forge for a while. And I have never seen the Holy Land; it could be interesting. And I suppose (tongue-in-cheek) you ladies really ought to have another man along. As chaperone.

When Pralix realizes where they are going it is too late to say good-bye to Miguel and the children. Once more she is glad that she has developed a way of reaching him across the distance, so she quickly informs him about the trip. She also makes a mental note that she'll have to have a talk with Carmen about taking into consideration that arrangements must be made before flying half across the world.
During the flight, she is quiet musing on when and how to break the topic to the covenant leader.

It is midafternoon when you pot the inn which the redcap had described, though it take a few minute to verify the description from the air. It is right on the edge of Jerusalem, and looks to be a converted farmhouse with the old bar being used as a combination stable and warehouse for traveling merchants. It would appear that people are just beginning to arrive for the night, at this point most of whom are heading into Jerusalem.

Carmen is able to cast Veil of Invisibility on everyone and the carpet befor we approach, timing our landing just before sunset. Finding a secluded spot, we can recast our Parma just as we turn visible and then proceed.

You wind up waiting for a couple of hours before you arrive at the inn. The host seems prepared for your arrival and informs you he has arranged a private dining area for his "privileged guests". Your rooms are also ready, and the keys to both rooms are brought to you while dining.

Does anyone in this little expedition speak Hebrew or Arabic?

Carmen speaks a little Hebrew, with a score of 2 (as of 1234). Golda (in her rough draft) has a score of 4.

The group has two rooms, and aside from the occasional server in their private dining room sees little of anyone else before heading to bed.

Pralix changes her outfit again to something less spectacular and folos the others.

(ooc: I still need to write up Fixer's fix to her Talisman, but assume that she didn't explode and shower you with wooden spikes when the sun went down)

Carmen requests a few outfits of local garb appropriate for women. Then she and her mom talk about shopping for better cllothes and such come tomorrow. Tea is being served. Carmen asks Cata what she thinks.

Antoine also requests more appropriate garb; his protective forge gear is stifling this far south. Plus, he rather fancies the look of the flowing white cotton shifts they wear here.

Cata sips her tea and answers: "I want to see some of the Holy Sites while we are here. For some reason I've never gotten around to coming here for a visit. That carpet is quite comfy, something I could get used to. It's also somewhat faster than I expected, which is a good thing, because I can't help but blanch when I think of my husband trying to unpack all our crates back in Andorra. By the way, have we got anything serious on our agenda?"

Adan interjects "I do have some research, into the first language. If it interests you, we can certainly look into it together, otherwise I will do what I can on my own."

I'm sorry, but my Theology is rusty. What is the "First Language"?

"The language before the tower of Babel, shared by all mankind"

Carmen is secretly glad to have some conversation topic other that clothes shopping and other "girl talk". Golda, her mom, is a carefree spirit and rarely ever serious minded.
However...
I have no serious activities planned, other than observing Cata and seeing if she is worthy of House Flambeau.
So Cata, as for our covenant, you are pretty much in. Just a formal meeting of introduction and an interoggatory, then a vote. But if you want me to sponsor your joining the Flambeau, I am going to want to see if you have the eggs for it.
First Language? Just crazy talk. Suppose it depends on who you talk to. some say Greek is oldest, or Egyptian. The Basques have an ancient arcane language, and Hebrew is the language of the biblical patrons.
But which is oldest? What came first or from before thwm?