Introductory event, magnificent abode. submissions

Ah, you're back.. quick question, whats the magical aura of the covenant we're at? Kinda need it for any labwork ^^

Doh!!!

[size=150] + 3[/size]

Another quick question:

Do we have to cordinate reading the covenant books during this advancement? For example, if I want Xpofer to read the Creo summa in year 3, do I have to make sure no one else is reading it, or can we hand wave this?

Matt

Erik,

Could you move the joint covenant resources to somewhere within the Iron Magus threads, please? I'm searching the Ars Magica (general) forums looking for it, and can't find it.

Thank you,
Matt

I was wondering the same thing.

Chris

It's about 2/3 of the way down, split between two posts, in this:

Chris

re: Penetration on Enchanted Items

Reading from another thread, I see that Erik has house ruled the Penetration bonus for enchanted items from +2 for 1 increase in final effect level, to +1. Xpofer plans on making several enchanted items, as I bet our Verditius members are. Erik, which rules should we use? House rules (+1/1 spell level increase) or core rules (+2/1 spell level increase)?

thanks,
Matt

re: die rolls

Secondly, Erik, you said that you will be making all the die rolls. That's great, in fact I prefer that to me rolling them. Xpofer needs to make several during this first advancement. I'd like to send you year by year advancements, so you can make the appropriate rolls for me. Is this okay? Should I do that here, in another thread, or privately?

Matt

From my experience that and effect expiry are the weakest parts of the core rules. The two of them together turned almost everyone into an item crafter. It made no sense to bother learning many spells because penetrations over 100 with nasty effects became too trivial when put in items. David Chart tried to fix the effect expiry thing by placing an interpretation on Lesser Enchanted Devices. However, that still doesn't fix the effect expiry issue entirely.

So, while on that note, Erik, how do you rule Lesser Enchanted Devices with effect expiry?

(Level 51+ spells in items had some problems, too, but didn't get in the way of the flavor of the system in the same way.)

Chris

Done

Hand wave

That house rule was for face to face games. I'd like to keep Irom Magus a bit closer to core. However I do honestly dislike the effects of easily attainable overwhelming item penetrtation on the game and one more post against them (in addition to callen's) might well be all that it takes to make me change my mind.

use the following die rolls in order
[color=green]5,5,9,6,0 (botch on fourth botch die, double botch on tenth),2

Will you need more than six die rolls?

Erik,

Sorry for the multitude of questions. First, thank you for posting the resource material to this section and hand waving the inter-covenant library loan system.

Now, for labs:

Can we assume any of the Free Virtues for laboratory personalization? For example, are they in Dedicated Buildings, do the Verditii automatically have studios? Or, should we incorporate Free Virtues with any minor or major Virtues that he take the time to install? For instance, if Xpofer sends a season to increase his lab's Refinement score, can I toss in Grand Entrance (free Structural Virtue) as a freebie?

Secondly, Xpofer would like a lab with a single entrance. Would Defenses cover this? I think yes, but I don't want to take anything for granted. Also, I'd like a few secret passageways and doorways in the lab, not that lead anywhere else besides the lab, but in which Xpofer can hide things. How does this sound:

Minor Structure Virtue
Secret Chamber(s): The lab has one or more secret rooms built into its design. These rooms are artfully concealed, requiring at least an hour's uninterrupted, careful search to find. +1 Aesthetics, +1 In.

Is it too wimpy for a minor Virtue? Should it be free? I figure that it would require re-building parts of the lab, and that should take a season, hence I made it minor.

Lastly, I'm assuming that, when you wrote "average Upkeep", that means a score of 0. Is that correct? Do I have to keep all of Xpofer's lab personalization at a 0 Upkeep? (Fine, if this is the case.)

matt

Ah. Didn't see these. No, this will suffice for now. Thank you!

Matt

Erik,

Here's another one for you.

Refining and adding Virtues to Xpofer's lab nets him two exposure xp in Magic Theory each season. This is how we do it in our saga, and I think it's kosher. Correct me if I'm wrong. Doing this, I realize how many free xp's I'd have gotten if Xpofer had an Affinity with Magic Theory.

So, I'm thinking of doing original research to discover a teachable version of Affinity with Magic Theory. While this is a common enough Virtue, I'd still qualify it as a Major Breakthrough, needing 45 breakthrough points. Once discovered, Xpofer will create a Hermetic Virtue that can be taught to magi, just like a Supernatural Virtue, except a maga does not need to subtract her existing Arts totals from the study total to learn the Virtue.

I think this is more appropriate for a Bonisagus character than searching out a Mystery Cult and hoping for initiation.

If you agree, we need to decide what Laboratory efforts will work for this original research. I'm thinking anything would fit the bill, for three reasons. First, nearly every laboratory activity uses Magic Theory. Second, it's a pretty common Virtue for all the work it will take. Third, it lets me use original research and will affect all sorts of laboratory activities in weird and wacky ways.

What do you think?

Matt

Dice Master Erik,

Xpofer is at the top of year five and experimenting. I need two dice roll. The first is a simple die to add to his Lab Total. He is not trying for original research just yet. It's an unnecessary roll; his Lab Total is high enough to invent the spell, but I need to experiment to get his laboratory specialization in experimentation bonus (and Inventive Genius). The second roll is on the Extraordinary Results Chart. I'd like you to make these rolls and adjudicate the results of the Extraordinary Results Chart.

The specifics, from my notes:

Year 5

Spring: Invent spell, The Debtor's Conscience, using experimentation. Creo Mentem level 30. CrMe Lab Total: Int (+4) + Cr (10) + Me (9) + minor focus (9) + Magic Theory 7 (including specialization) + Puissant Magic Theory (+2) + Aura (+3) + Inventive Genius (+6) + Creo laboratory specialization (+4) + laboratory experimentation specialization (+8) = 62 base + simple die roll w/ no risk modifier. Than a stress die roll on the Experimentation: Extraordinary Results chart.

The Debtor's Conscience
CrMe 30
Voice, Moon, Individual

The caster creates a memory in the target's mind that the target owes the caster money. While the target can't remember why she owes the caster money, she does remember the debt. An Intelligence + stress die roll of 9+ will indicate to the target that something is amiss with his memory, and if the stated amount is unrealistic, the Ease Factor is lowered to 6+. This spell doesn't force the target to "repay" the money; that must be negotiated through social interactions.

Base 5, +2 Voice, +3 Moon

thanks,
Matt

The latter you start with no lab at all,just sufficient space for a lab of +2 size. I believe that this is enough space to make into both a lab and a studio if you so choose.

That looks like a fine minor virtue to me, similar in effect to auspicious shape and lesser feature

I always had envisioned a single entrance as the default set up for labs. did I miss something in a book somewhere?

yes, but you should assume that you can use a good portion of the additional income that you provide for the covenant for your own purposes.

The research rules say "something that somehow incorporates the idea" (p.26 true lineages) I do not think allowing any research at all to qualify fits with the spirit of the rules.

Ideas that would fit with affinity with magic theory might be
most intellego vim spells
spells and effects dealing with studying and learning.
I'd allow study of the the forest Shining stone (covenants p102) to provide inspiration per the rules in ancient magic
float some more "affinity with magic theory" specific ideas towards me and I'll probably OK most of them. And of course the more cool they are the more likely you are to earn the votes of your sodales.

Erik, I have a couple questions:

1. I was starting to record with whom I was corresponding regularly, and it was getting a little long for submissions. Should we just say where the point is going?

2. Does our instructor, that guy who can teach us military skills, speak Latin? If not, what language does he use? He can't teach us anything except his language until we speak his language.

3. How do you want to handle searching for a familiar? I believe I already mentioned a european beaver would be cool considering my focus in Rego and secondary focus in Creo.

Thanks,
Chris