Inventing a new initiation script is HARD!

Could you use/adapt the rules for Labyrinth Meditation from HoH:MC to get 1/2 your Enigmatic Wisdom as a (sympathetic?) bonus?

Unfortunately it would require some adaptation, since the effects last for an hour at most. It's never stated explicitly how long the "design" of the script takes, but I assume it should be treated as a seasonal activity. Hence, no confidence use.

Frankly, it was one of the very first things I had thought about and checked -- using the Enigmatic Wisdom bonus to enhance the ability to "correctly" design a script seems really really appropriate thematically. But unfortunately, mechanically it does not work :frowning:

:slight_smile:

Seriously, though - I thought all the MC's had ordeals for their outer mysteries. My interpretation was always as follows:

Merinitia - take a point of farie warp if you aren't already associated with faries somehow - (minor)
Bjorner - loose access to familiar (major)
Criamon - have to go into Twilight(?) or at least take a point of regular warp (minor)
Verditious - have to use casting tokens (major, although only technically)

I was under the impression you could use the remaining bonus from that outer mystery to reduce the difficulty of creating your inner Mysteries.

Hmm, not as I see it.
The Merinita "warping point" only applies to the minority of characters without faerie association, and even for those it's not serious enough to count as an Ordeal.
The Bjornaer's loss of (future) familiars is indeed explicitly an Ordeal (that could, in theory, be eliminated from the Initiation) though I can't recall if it does grant an ease factor reduction for future initiations (noble's parma).
The Criamon do not have to go into Twilight to be initiated into Enigmatic Wisdom. They just have to spend a year with other [strike]loonies[/strike] Criamons. A "sacrifice of time", but not an Ordeal, technically.
The Verditius do not incur an Ordeal, at least from the description of their Initiation Script into their outer mystery. The fact that they gain a dependency on casting tools appears due to a "flawed" opening of their Gift to Hermetic Magic. Magi joining the House from other Houses are subjected to a "crippling" ritual, but that also does not count as an Ordeal.

Fair 'nuff - in a somewhat related issue (I was looking up Items of Quality for the actual rules on them), I did stumble across the RoP:M general virtue "Essential Virtue" (pg. 43) - which looks to be the formalization of the "minor virtue that grants a +3 to something". So you could probably take "gnostic" (or something equivalent to "mystically knowledgeable and/or inventive") to gain a +3 to your roll to invent a Script.

EDIT - I'd argue that "inventive genius" is an implementation of this ability, and wouldn't allow them to stack; so you could take either Inventive Genius (+3/+6 to magical lab rolls), or a more general "Inventive" Essential Virtue (+3 to invent anything new; for magi; applies to Lab totals and scripts.) Or, take this as evidence that Inventive Genius also applies to scripts, as well.