January: The First Chapter of Our Saga

Vispilius hesitated a moment in confusion-

"You don't know what your spell is... what? Never mind, we've outstayed our welcome already, hang on!..."

With that and a thought the branch accelerates and lifts away from the water, and away from the knight, down the river in the direction nearest their sodales. Over his shoulder, he shouts back at the charging fae -

"We were not here to cross, nor to trespass, just passing along the river's course! We return down the river, from whence we came!"

Perhaps a vain hope, but he had heard that sometimes logic was narrowly defined when it came to curses and the like.

Once the new course is set, he has the freedom to cast the same spell again at the approaching crows, but will only if they seem to still be interested in pursuit. Either way, he looks back to the knight, to see if the charger is leaving the water to join them in flight...

(If it seems the knight cannot fly, no need to lead it to the others on the ground, V will just gain more altitude and move away. If the knight can fly... that's a different problem...)

Theodora retreats away from the melee , and calls upon the guards to protect her. If the fishman pursues her and she does not feel the guards can help her she will grimacing try to cast her lift the dangling puppet spell upon him and hope that Corpus works.

Titus's spell wraps the fish-man securely, and once he is constrained by it he seems to relax, bedcause he no longer fears hurting you. His armor, fangs and distored, red eyes do not, however, vanish.

As the floating stick touches down he says "I am a possession of my master's. If you hurt me, you have hurt him, and then nothing will constrain his anger. I ask again that you flee, and hide, and wait."

Having left the elfin destrier behind, Vispilius keeps rising, and then disappears behind some tall trees before circling around again to where the others are, making sure he is not bringing ruin upon his Sodales. He looks around also for the pursuing crows, who seem to have vanished.

As they descend and see the fish-man and the others, he comments over his shoulder -

"Over water, but not into the air - that is a small blessing, at least. But those crows - I do not like that a bit. Someone has been alerted of our interest in the bridge, or several someones..."

The stick settles gently to earth, and lowers itself from beneath the two, allowing Iohannes to easily step aside, then rises up again, whereupon Vispilius resumes using it to sit upon, as one might a convenient fence.

He stretches his hands and back as the fishman repeats his plea.

"I would suggest we heed him this time. And not discuss our business in front of him, out of respect for the geas that troubles him. We should go, now, quickly and quietly."

"Yes. We've learned what we need for right now; before we do anything else, I want to hear back from Roto."

In an undertone, "We could kill the knight easily enough, but I don't think that is sufficient. And the crows.... are just a tool."

He starts walking toward Theodora.

Iohannes waits for Roto.

Titius starts walking away from the fish man. “We retreat then, but only for a short distance. My spell will hold the fish fae tied up for the next diameter.” Once the magi have retreated Titius ask “What do we do now? Shall we sneak up and examine the corruption source and if needed pin down the knight and his assistant. I would prefer if we can do this without the need to clash arms with this fae. After all who knows what would happened if a benevolent, if corrupted, guardian fae where slain. ”

"I sent Roto and a grog to the nearest farm or village, to find out more about the bridge. I'd like to hear back from them before we do anything else. Something happened here, and if Roto's good graces cannot loosen some tongues, he might at least point us at the right targets for Intellego Mentem."

Theodora joins in the general withdrawel and once away from the fishman
she says
"I think that we need to investigate and remove the source of the corrpution to do so we need either to avoid the fays attention, or protect ourselves from him. Did either of you who confronted him get an estimate of his power to see if we can ward against him, I am skilled in Rego Vim and may be able to generate a ward or even command him if he is of 2nd or 3rd magnitude . Otherwise we must rely on stealth which may prove difficult if he is one with the bridge.
I agree that destroying him could have unforseen consequences"

Vispilius shakes his head as they walk along, away from where the fishman had been left hanging in mid-air (but hopefully not too high off the ground!)

"I did not cast any spell on him. We agreed not to hurt him, and I had no Intellego spell that would have been of any use. The crows did not seem to have any significant resistance, and we should not overlook them - they did not seem fully natural, not by a long shot. It may be we can approach them later, and see what is to be learned from them, without triggering a second response from the fae.

"But if he can do what he's done, the curses, the trick with the horse on the river, I'd say he's not among the minor instances, tho' whether that's because of a change or his original status is hard to say. And altho' he started fae, it's possible he's now more infernally tainted - those crows struck me as having some taint of brimstone about them. While we can take an educated guess what elements would best associate with it, it would be darkly humorous to prepare a solid ward against the fae, only to discover we are facing a creature of infernal might, as they waltz up to explain the serious nature of our mistake."

"So, in all things, yes, we need to find out a bit more before we take any definitive action..."

Roto meets the characters about half an hour later. He says

"Sirs and Lady, the bridge was destroyed about twenty years ago, when the noblemen on either side of the river were at war with one another. The one who control the far side, Lord Hans, pulled it down because his rival was mustering forces and he wished to force him to cross at a ford further upstream. EVen today, merchants and travellers must cross there, because the bridge has not been repaired."

Around the town I found another man, a fisherman, whose fell asleep in his little riverboat and was washed up past the bridge. He was also stabbed by the faerie knight. That was two years ago, and he has not had any ill effects of it, save the shock. The faerie said somethign to him, but it was in Latin so the man did not understand it. It think it was much the same as was said to me, although his rote memory of the words was poor."

Iohannes frowns. "Something else happened; none of that explains the Infernal Aura in the lee of the bridge, that looks so much like a grave.

"I'm surprised no one bridged the river elsewhere, in twenty years. Carts won't cross a ford well."

He muses. "I could cast a spell that lets me see through Terram, making plain whatever might be buried here. But we'd still need to talk to people."

He pauses. "Whoever lives closest would know that something happened. Roto, was there once a toll-keeper here? A bridge-keeper? Something? Bridges are too valuable to be left to themselves."

"Yes. For one thing, he's been spreading his caterpillar plague far and wide. Killing him would stop him from doing anything more, but what about the people already infected?

"The four crows bother me more than the knight, rather, what possesses them. I'm more concerned about Hell than Faerie."

"I cannot change The Gift, but I have the spells to enter town and nose around a bit, peer into the mind of a few, if that's what is wanted. And likewise the crows, I have a spell or three that can unlock the secrets of their minds as well, tho' possessed beings, man or beast, are often unaware of that possession.

"But should it come down to demons, or the fae, both can be fearsome, and I am sadly unprepared to battle either on their own terms, with fleeing as the probably the best course I have to resort to."

I have some wards against demons , but not against demons of real power but I do not know a spell to combat them. There is no immediate rush to action I suggest we retire to a comfortable distance while those who belive they can gather information in town do so. Then we can decide if we must investigate the Bridge

Iohannes listens to Roto.

Then, to Theodora, "I expect something nastier from demons than a direct fight. Killing the crows--we can do that. But they're just crows. Killing the knight and his squire?" This conversation occurs after we've moved away from the area. "We can probably do that too. But does that solve what we have come for? Four crows suggest otherwise."

Turning to Vispilius, "I can do likewise, but I think you'd do better. My Gift is not likely to be appreciated in these parts. I'd especially like to find out what happened over there, by the bridge. What was buried there? Who? Or not buried, but something."

I say that we go to the village and find out what we can. We try to be as discreet as we can. I think it is unwise to make us enemies to the locals. Even if they are mere mundane people it is not necessary to make the Order’s reputation any worse in these parts. If we make haste we can return and solve the problem swiftly.

Vispilius nods, and with a gesture the features of his face melt to those of a square jawed man of noble carriage, blond hair cut in a tonsure and crystal blue eyes, and taller than before by at least a hand. With a bolder gesture and louder voice, he turns his woolen tunic changes to a natural color, simple and coarse, as that worn by the locals of the monestary. A wry smile crosses his lips, and he intones the Latin of the Church in a benificent, if patronizing tone, waving a hand in mock benediction.

"In nomine patre, pax vobiscum. The costume is not perfect, but the clergy may get more answers, and less disrespect and fewer questions, than a wandering magus, even if the feeling of unease is no less.

"Titius, we had best not be over hasty. We may solve this today, or perhaps not this year. The only cause for concern would be the crows, and who they went to inform, and of what. I don't know if we all should go, and certainly not together. With Roto's information, there are several avenues we should proceed down, to follow them to their end.

"And I believe we are all agreed that killing the knight would only be a disservice, at least until we know more. But what of a large Perdo Vim spell against the infernal? If he was once fae, it could return him to that state - if now purely of the infernal, our fears are unfounded... unless we could revert him. A possibility, and one we should not overlook...

"But we need more information. Why was the peasant not affected by the illness? The plot, the crows... yes, all need investigating..."

He glances to the skies as they walk, to see if any of the black silhouettes are visible in the air above.

Oh, the crows are watching you very carefully.

[So - what's the town plan? You go in as a priest? And ask...the guy who
was stabbed by the faerie? Ok, so you find his house by the river...is this all of you, or just Vispillus? He lets you in if he sees Roto or you say "Hey, time to ask you about that really exciting thing that you use as a pub story." and he gives you the same story he gave Roto.]

Theodora plans on staying out of town with most fo the rogs to avoid looking threatening. She will move to a location some distance away from the town and Bridge and prepare another summoning circle then she is going to see if she can call up the ghost of someone who died at the bridge as it seems unlikely that they have have had a christian burial if there is someone buried in the infernal aura