JeanMichelle's character discussion

name: Medicus ex Tytalus

background can't be complete before I know which story flaw the storyguide prefers.

Beloved Rival would probably be Medicus's older Hermetic sibling, who has taken it upon himself to be sure that Medicus is ready for whatever, whether by placing obstacles in his path or becoming an obstacle herself, but will quickly come to his aid if needed. ("Hey, nobody picks on my kid brother but me!")

Mentor has me scratching my head for some reason – not coming up with one offhand.

Heir I can also see a couple of options, and questions. E.g. which part of Scotland is his land in? Or is it in Scotland at all? Was it granted by the English or Scottish crown, and is it disputed? He would also probably have some interaction with his vulgar family. This might be (for the most part) a long-term Flaw, in that it might not come up much early on, but when it does hit, it's gonna be a doozie.

So, I can see either one, but I can see more with Beloved Rival than with Heir.

If he has Vis in his personal build points, then yes.

Heir for a hermetic magus is always a problem since it usually entails an oath of fealty that the code doesn't allow. Only exception of course would be if you are heir to the king since kings don't necessarily have to pledge fealty to anyone :slight_smile:.

On the other hand, if you are king, you don't get a lot of time for labwork.

Peregrine (my character from Mystikae Eikona) had Heir from [strike]her[/strike] his home in Szeged, which he avoided by leaving the [strike]country[/strike] [strike]tribunal[/strike] continent. Unfortunately, the saga didn't last long enough for the flaw to come up.

Anyway...to be honest, I think I'm more comfortable with Beloved Rival than with Heir.

Flaws: By Frail, do you mean Fragile Constitution (-3 to Healing Rolls)?
Arts: Creo doesn't have an Affinity, only Puissance. 80 xp will get you a score of 12(+3 for the Puissant Creo), with 2xp left over. However, you do have an Affinity with Corpus, so that score of 10 costs 37 points; or you can spend 55 points and get a score of 12+3 with 3xp toward the next level.

a) I do
b) I will take Beloved Rival - unless a player offers a PC as his true love (reciprocal or not reciprocal).
c) I know the character doesn't have a creo affinity. He only has puissant.

Ah, here the corrected gauntlet arts
Co15+3, Cr10+3, Re 10

I'll take some BP and spend some on vis to raise strength to +3 (9*6 = 54p). So that's 11 bp used. I'll use the rest more to the general benefit - e.g. for longevity rituals for other players. If you need one post how many pawns of vis you need here.

I was contemplating True Love; though I was thinking about a magical animal ("Somewhere, there's a place for us...") another pc would be new. Are you thinking True Love but we can't really be together because of complications and angst, or True Love as in shacking up?

Explicit physical love scenes are against forum rules (and I would feel uncomfortable about writing that in a foreign language).
So it could either be the happily married but quarreling couple or the pining and whining of the shy - or the latter eventually becoming the former.
It could even be unrequited love (then the other person just has to bear his attentions) - which might also be a story flaw (stalker).

If you two want to work something out to where one (or both) of the characters are in Love with the other, that's fine with me.

I keep forgetting that you're not an English native speaker/writer, JM – but I think this is an unfortunate choice of words. I'm fine with characters, even two PC with an unrequited love (or what they think is an unrequited love) pining for their beloved, wanting to just be around them and do things that they hope will draw them together (See Cygna and Hiems), but having stalker is not fun, trust me – and I think I would say something if it looks like it's crossing that line.

just looked up "stalker" and realized that the English word is rather unpleasant (the German word "stalker", which comes from the English word has an additional meaning, which is lighter in tone). sorry about that.

I've thought about it again, and from a story-generating perspetive, beloved rival may be easier -after all, we will risk our lives for all other magi anyway, I assume, not just for special magi . Plus, roleplaying emotions can be fun, but is not really easy.
We can still try to roleplay this, and if we fulfil the old story flaw AND this works, we can make it the new story flaw.

Okay, let's go with the Beloved Rival (and if you have any ideas about who/what his rival is, feel free to shoot them my way), and if anything develops between any two (or more) magi, bonus cookies.

Just don't make Siobhan your rival, she isn't Tytalus and she would twist your mind into knots.

The concept of the stalker abounds through history and literature and almost always ends with the death of one or the other. That said, the unrequited love and courtly romance is also part of legend as long as it doesn't devolve to stalker level. Nothing wrong with a serenade outside the window. Sneaking in her room though is out.

That said, my character will be sneaking into bedrooms looking for arcane connections, only when person is out.

I have always been intrigued by the idea of courtly love-- that because marriages are arranged for political reasons, true love can only exist between two people (or in my character's case, "two sentient entities") who can never be together.

Wouldn't dream of it. The lady is extremely scary!

btw Medicus wouldn't stalk anyone himself - he'd have a corpse stalk someone (now isn't that reassuring?)

The two of you will get along great. Siobhan plays with the mind and experiments until they are nearly mindless and then turns the corpse over to you to play with after they are dead. You can cooperate on ghost matters.

Probably missed something, but what?

Cr 18 + Co 10 + Int 3 + MT (corpus) 4 + Puissant MT 2 + Aura 3 = 40.

IIRC, Inventive genius isn't computed at chargen, but it seems logical for it to apply. Yet, it only add +3, to 43.

What's the missing bit?

It would stand to reason to have him roll for it, since IIRC, rituals are always stress die and there's a chance to botch. The risk is minor, but it is there nonetheless.

You do realize this could be interpreted in a wrong way? :laughing:

Err... No.

From the rulebook (which is logical IMO, else it ain't True Love), and for the record (since you've gone with Beloved Rival, which I always found quite funny):
You have found the one person meant for you in all of creation, and the bond between the two of you cannot be sundered (...) In dire need, she may even come to rescue you (...) Your True Love is another player character, who must also have this Virtue. True Love is never one-sided.

What you describe would be another flaw, akin to Curse of Venus:
"Furthermore, you tend to fall in love with inappropriate people, and in inappropriate circumstances. Those people you are interested in tend to think you are vain and shallow"

As far as I understand it, this was part of the whole point.
And it survived to this day :unamused:
You see, this is so much more romantic than if everything works out fine... :laughing:

Minor changes:
raised strength to reflect rituals
replaced profession scribe with 5 mastery xp spent on teleport spell
equipment added
new names for spells
corrected a few miscalculated guidelines (left-overs from old versions)
one spell (the walking dead) was posted at magus labs – I had forgotten about it
According to the background story, the character is 15 years out of apprenticeship (his beloved rival finished Medicus' training after he got rid of his parens). This has no mechanical effect (10 years of apprenticeship + 5 years as a magus taught by beloved rival treated like an apprenticeship + 10 normal years pg)
8 seasons of lab exposure: 16xp MT
lab total for Talisman:
In (<Cr) 9 + Co 18 + Aura 3 + Int 3 + Inventive genius 3 + MT (Co) 6 + shape/material 6 + 5 Talisman = 53; effect lvl: 35 2 seasons of (53-35) = 2*18=36

Malcolm Medicus ex Tytalus filius Thanatos, 15 pg

Background:
born into a family of barber-surgeons (living in Dunbar in winter, but travelling the rest of the year)
traumatic loss of parents to mother in childbed (age 5), real name: Malcolm Barber
started to observe his father at work (bargain, folk ken)
Age 7: Kidnapped by Thanatos ex Tytalus (a sinister necromancer) and subjected to a model Tytalean apprenticeship. The apprentice's refusal to revel in destruction led to his severe problems with Perdo and to extra harsh treatment by his cruel Parens.
After 10 years of apprenticeship, Malcolm had enough: He wrote a letter declaring a Wizard's War against Passim ex Tytalus (Thanatos gauntleted first apprentice) and signed it with his parens name.
Passim didn't realise that the letter wasn't genuine and killed Thanatos (who was surprised by the attack). When Malcolm revealed to Passim what he had done, Passim accepted him as a Tytalus magus. He also completed his education (skilled parens). But the two Tytali didn't work well together – so after 5 years, their ways separated and they became beloved rivals.
Passim doesn't live nearby, but shares Medicus' talent for corpus: He has a focus on ReCo travel magic and is good at scrying, so he can show up anytime he wants to (kind of like Q).
Finally free, Malcolm tried to find his father, but learned that he had died two years earlier.
Malcolm spent the last 10 years at a Northern English covenant but decided to return to his native Scotland because he doesn't like the English. He is convinced that everyone has good times and bad times in his life – and the bad times being over it's now time for the good times.
During his last 10 years, he has acquired large amounts of vis to raise his strength and other things he can take to his new home.

Characteristics: Int 3, Per 0, Pre 1, Com 2, Str 3, Sta 2, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Warping Score: 0
Confidence Score: 2(5)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift; Hermetic Magus; Gentle Gift; Affinity with Corpus, Inventive Genius, Puissant Creo, Puissant Corpus, Puissant Magic Theory, Puissant Parma Magica, Self-confident*, Skilled Parens; Deficient Perdo, Driven Cure Death (Major); Beloved Rival, Fragile Constitution, Harmless Magic, Optimistic (minor)
*House Virtue
Personality Traits: Optimistic +3, Driven Fight Death +6, Brave +2
Reputations: none
Combat: none
Soak: +2 (normal clothes), +11 (full chain mail)
Fatigue levels: normal
Wound Penalties: normal
Area Lore Loch Leglean (settlements) 1, Artes Liberales (ceremonial casting) 1, Athletics (walking) 1, Awareness (alertness) 1, Bargain (health services) 2, Charm (first impressions) 2, Chirurgy (binding wounds) 1, Code of Hermes (familiars) 1, Concentration (spells) 2, English (health) 2, Etiquette (gifts) 1, Fairie lore (Loch Leglean) 1, Finesse (corpus) 1, Folk Ken (patients) 2, Gaelic Scots (storytelling) 5, Guile (pretend to be someonne else) 1, Infernal Lore (demons) 1, Intrigue (Order of Hermes) 1, Latin (hermetic) 5, Leadership (the undead) 1, Magic Lore ( Loch Leglean) 2,
Magic Theory (Corpus) 3+2 (16), Medicine (physician) 3, Order of Hermes Lore (Loch Leglean) 1, Parma Magica (Mentem) 4+2, Penetration (corpus) 1, Philosophy (ceremonial casting) 1, Survival (Loch Leglean) 1, Swimming (currents) 1
Arts: Cr 10+3, In 9, Mu 5, Re 10, Co 15+3
Twilight Scars: none
Spell Sigil: freshness/youth
Equipment: Talisman, either dressed like a medicus or in full chain mail, no weapons other than knife
Encumbrance: 0
Appearance:
Medicus is a brought-shouldered pale medium-sized man with watery blue eyes and reddish tonsured hair. He looks clean-shaven (but simply doesn't have facial hair). It is not his looks that impress people, but the self-confident way he bears himself and the determination in his eyes. He expresses himself elegantly, and has a knack for using unusal but graphic comparisons. He doesn't like bathing, but uses non-fatiguing ceremonial magic every day to clean himself and his clothes.

Spells/Casting total inlcuding TeFo + sta + focus + talisman + mastery:
The Fittest Survives CrCo25/+36
Habeas Corpus CrCo30/+37
Hercules Ritual CrCo45/+37, mastery 1: lab mastery
Whispers through the Black Gate InCo(Me) 15/+15
The Inexorable Search InCo20/+32
The Blush of Life MuCo(Re,Cr)15/+29
Wizard's Hop ReCo20/+34, mastery 1: Fast Casting
Leap of homecoming ReCo35/+33
The Walking Dead ReCo35/+34

New Spells:
The Fittest Survives CrCo25
R: Touch, D: Moon, T: Ind.
The target gains a +12 to Recovery rolls to recover from injuries or diseases, as long as he has been under the influence of this spell for the whole of the recovery interval. The recovery interval is counted from the time the spell is cast; any previous time is ignored.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +3 Moon)

Habeas Corpus CrCo30
R: Sight, D: Sun, T: Ind.
Creates a corpse. When Medicus casts the spell, the created corpse is the fresh corpse of an innocent-looking young man (but the exact kind of corpse depends on the caster's sigil).
(Base 5, +2 sun, +3 sight)

Hercules Ritual CrCo45
R: Per, D: Mom, T: Ind
This ritual permanently increases the users strength (max +3).
(Base 45)

The Blush of Life MuCo(Re,Cr)15
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
This spell makes a corpse life-like, so you can have it carry your stuff in a city without everyone trying to burn you. Eyes move and blink, the breast heaves. They blush easily and giggle sometimes (his sigil) etc
(Base 3, +1 touch, +2 sun, +1 req)

Wizard's Hop ReCo20
R: Per, D: Mom, T: Ind.
See HoH:S, p. 36, Wizard's Leap, with transporting range increased to 500 paces.
(Base 20)

The Walking Dead (ReCo35)
The Walking Dead (ReCo35)
This spell allows the caster to mentally command a corpse. The corpse can carry out simple commands independently (e.g. attack the man on the horse! Carry this and follow me!). A moment of concentration is required to give a new set of commands. The corpse can leave the caster's line of sight after getting his commands. A corpse can attack with or without a weapon, but has no skill, unless the caster keeps concentrating on it (which allows the caster to use Per + finesse for the corpse's attacks. The corpses have a spring in their step (his sigil).
(Base 10, +2 Sun, +3 Sight)

Talisman:
Opened: 25 Used: 4

A bronze necklace with a silver pendant in the shape of a crown, adorned with an onyx, an amber, and an opal

Attunements:
+4 death
+3 corpus
+1 terram

effects:
Twin Corpse In(Cr)Co30
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: ind
This spell is cast on a physical arcane connection to a human (e.g. blood, hair, finger). It creates an physical copy of the human body the arcane connection belongs to.
(Base 10, +1 touch, +2 Sun, +1 Creo requisite)
+5 24 uses/day: final level 35

Post gauntlet development:
years 1-6: abilities (180xp)
year7+8: In 9, Mu 5
Year 9: spells/items
spring: Improved purification of the festering wounds CrCo25 (+12 recovery)
summer: open Talisman
fall: imbed Twin Corpse part I (2 uses/day)
winter: imbed twin Corpse II
year 10: spells
spring whisper through the gate InCo(Me)15
summer inexorable search InCo20
fall Blush of Life Mu(Re)15
winter Wizard's Hop ReCo20

The numbers don't show it but it is 13 corpus: 10 base + pussiant corpus and that is the additional +3 to go with inventive genius to get up to a 46.

Oh, I thought inventive genius applied (it would make sense). I've got Co 15 +3 Cr 10+3 (I confused the numbers -so it was no wonder you missed a puissant art virtue)
btw str +2 or str +3 doesn't make that much of a difference to someone who has no skill in swinging weapons.

Ritual is mastered. No botching.

The love flaw:
It's beloved rival anyway.
You're right the rules say that true love must be reciprocal - but unrequited love could make for a great story flaw (not raw, I admit)

Ah, thanks.
I doubted very much he made a mistake on a thing like this, but I couldn't see what I was missing.

Corebook p81:
"The Magnitude of Ritual spells, and the need to incorporate many elements, mean that they are always cast using a stress die"