Journey to Waddenzee (summer 1240)

And Antoine twists his ring. He's now invisible, except for the ring itself.

Fleur smiles at Eric in a somewhat overly friendly manner, allowing herself to lick her lips a touch in a way that is likely to get his attention while not interfering with Cornelius' approach at gaining entrance.

Carmen tuns invisible using her talisman, and casts the spell on the carpet.
Sta -1, Perdo 7, Imaginem 7, Aura 3, 1d10=5, totals 21.

down below...

Eric Ribecus smiles while Cornelius glares.

It would seem that tales of my demise were exaggerated. I sailed into the Devil's Teeth and came out the other side. But you know how all that works, and that can't be what you are here for. Sorry to say we are out of the resale business. To many hassles, I'm sure you understand. Our hands are clean. Take a look around if you want. We are just four simple magi, living our private and lawful lives. Since you guys won't let us be a covenant, I suppose we are just four really close neighbors.
Cornelius looks at Eric with one eye closed.
[color=brown]I know Vritas is at Blackthorn, and Philipius Niger killed the Criamon ten years ago. If you are still alive, I'm willing to bet Von Beck is still alive as well. That Verditius magus that built your tower, he was killed by Vulcanus who then took it over. So who's the fourth?
Oh, no one you know. An old friend migrated from Normandy.
But don't change the subject. You still haven't told me why you are here.
[color=brown]I have come to investigate Vulcanus of Flambeau on the suspicion of crafting and selling items of an unlawful nature, and my associate Fleur has certain demands of him.
Vulcanus, oh dear. I haven't heard from him in two seasons. He said he would be gone a while and asked me to take messages for him.
Now tell me more about your associate.
:smiley:

"So what's the plan of approach?" Lucas asks, confident that they won't be overheard at this distance.

Fleur descends and approaches the man, trailing a finger along his chest. "My name is Fleur of Bonisagus, and I understand that Vulcanus has two children, Modi and Magni whom he refers to as apprentices, at least one of whom is gifted. My research is on the subject of heredity and..." here she allows her finger to touch his chin flirtatiously "reproduction, so I clearly would like to claim the gifted offspring of a magus as an apprentice to help with such research. If he is not able to discuss the details, I would certainly be willing to simply claim one of the boys and we can work out any details about his fatherly concern by letter."

That far tower over there. Entering through the top bypasses the receptionist and the traps at the door. It also provides direct access to the Regio. The previous owner left that entrance unguarded, but that is no guarantee that Vulcanus has not made modifications.
Keep in mind that, though it is technically not a crime to break into another's sanctum, there is no crime in using lethal force upon intruders. And if he wants to make a stink he could claim we are using magic to scry.
But he wont. Vulcanus is the type to keep it personal. And he knows he is baiting us. So I suppose a wise strategy is to do something unexpected. I am open to suggestions.
Look down there. They are too far to hear them, but it seems Fleur has arrived at the same time we have. And she brought a friend. Let us wait until they enter and let them provide a distraction.

Eric puts his arm around Fleur's waist. I'm sorry I can't ehelp you sweetheart. Vulcanus ain't here, and I don't know anything about kids or apprentices. He dwells in the tower back there if you want to go check it out. His receptionist is in. Forget her name. Some faerie blooded chick. Anything more is in your own hands. I have nothing to do with any of it and we didn't even have this conversation.
Now perhaps if you can set this nonsense aside or just wait for the guy to come back, I have a quarter keg I just brought from Bavaria if you would like to share a cup or three 8)

"I know going in invisible has certain benefits," Lucas replies. "But do you think it would be at all advantageous if one of us looked and sounded like Vulcanis? That way if we run into anyone but Vulcanis we might be able to pull the wool over their eyes." He pauses a moment then adds another thought. "And what if Vulcanis were carrying the sword? I could make anything of roughly the same size look like the sword. Again, that might throw anyone inside off-balance, assuming that person wasn't Vulcanis."

While we're still not under stress, Lucas is going to cast a few spells (all silent and still):
Doublet of Impenetrable Silk: 1D10+24 = [8]+24 = 32
Eyes of the Cat: 1D10+26 = [6]+26 = 32
Aura of Childlike Innocence: 1D10+19 = [1]+19 = 20
Disguise of the Altered Image: 1D10+19 = [1]+19 = 20 (to make himself look and sound like Stephanos Hephaistoi, Vulcanis's verditor, just in case)
Magus Sidestep: 1D10+19 = [10]+19 = 29 (Yes, I know he's invisible. But that might not last)
All successful.

He'll also spontaneously cast the following spells without Fatigue loss.
CT: 12 (Mu) + 12 (Co) + 2 (Sta) = 26/5 = 5
Ears of the Hare
Track by Scent

The following spells should still be active:
Cloak of Invisibility
Wings of Daedalus
Touch of Warmth

Fleur smiles at Cornelius "We should at least talk to his receptionist, see what she can tell us." Then turns to Eric. "Maybe later we can have a conversation we actually had. Until then unless you are going to come with us to Vulcanus receptionist, we'll have to postpone the groping and caresses."

'Fraid yer on your own darlin'. That guy is a psycho and his girl is a weirdo. His tower is right back there. I myself am headed out to sea. Short trip, should be back tomorrow night if you are still around :wink:

Fleur smiles and waves Eric goodbye, then turns to Cornelius, "well, it seems their sea voyages are short, so if we do have to wait for him to return, it should be just a day or two, and you won't have to hang around the whole season." she says it loudly, as though she was trying to talk over the wind, or if Cornelius might be hard of hearing. someone suspicious might think she was trying to make sure the covenant knew that hiding Vulcanus meant having a Quaesitor hanging around longer. Hopefully wherever Carmen and the magic carpet were she could be overheard by them as well.

As it happens, Antoine is indeed listening in and relaying the conversation to Lucas and Carmen via Hear the Distant Voice (CT 13 vs level 5).

Taking a leaf out of Lucas' book, he also uses his Talisman to disguise himself as Vulcanus himself! Finesse: 1D10+3 = [8]+3 = 11

Lucas will strongly advise against Antoine doing that as it would be considered scrying on a fellow magus.

...a valid point. And one Antoine would not have forgotten, just me :blush: . Forget I said anything!

I do not think they realize that they were spotted. Let us continue that way :mrgreen:
Cornelius frowns.
[color=brown]I do not like this. I read a report from a reliable source that said that guy was dead. And it is not like him to just open the door and wander away. Unless he truly has nothing to hid.
Or, unless he is hoping we will dig up dirt on his covenant mate, thereby eliminating someone who is perhaps problematic whilst keeping his hands out of it.
Or it could be a trap.

Carmen scowls at both of you
The crime is in getting caught, you don't bust out your friends, and never tell anyone you are scrying. And don't scry on magi. Bad form.
Just keep quiet, stay invisible. I am takings us down to the top of the tower.

Lucas nods in quiet response before he realizes he's invisible and it doesn't matter. He also takes a moment to ponder just how different Carmen and Solomon are, and wonders how the two ever get along. In the end, he doesn't entirely agree with Carmen in what she says. But this is definitely not the time to get into a philosophical debate.

Fleur proceeds in via the front door, with Cornelius beside her looking for Vulcanus' secretary.

She is rather easy to find, sitting at a large desk writing upon a tablet as she is counting trinkets and thingamabobs. Weapons Grade Thingamobobs.

Her name is Gemma, and she looks up at you with a smile.
Well hello again Cornelius. And greetings and well met newcomer! My name is Gemma, perveyor of the finest magical items and venditior to the most famed Verditius magi of the Order. And I can guarantee that all items are of legitimate origin and can provide certification. Just ask Cornelius. She smirks. If you need something customized, just describe what you are in need of and I can put you in contact with the right magus.
So, how may I help you?

"Actually I am here to inquire after Modi and Magni. Are they around?"