Kaine the Man-wolf

Will post the actual character sheet later, but for now:

Character is a Man-Wolf. He's a wolf who has the virtue Shapechanger to change into a man.

List of interesting questions:

How does House Bjornaer react to this? It can hardly be said he's a man who's stolen a heartbeast, after all.

When targeting him, is it Animal or Corpus that affects him?

Mark Shirley wrote a supplementary article about this in Sub Rosa #2 IIRC - "Florilegium of House Bjornaer". It was essentially leftover ideas from his Bjornaer chapter in HoH:MC. It including a "Feral Magi" concept - animals (Animals of Virtue) with the Heartbeast of a Man adopted into the Order of Hermes. I'd check this out (and Sub Rosa in general) and/or contact him directly - he may well post here with a nudge.

IMO he would be targeted with Animal in his true form. In human form he would be affected by Corpus ie the reverse of the Heartbeast effect has for a human. Not sure about Mentem...

Cheers,

Lachie

I lack access to Sub-Rosa, unfortunately. Something about needing mythic silver or some such...

Kaine The Man‑Wolf
Characteristics: Int ‑1, Per 0, Pre 0, Com ‑2, Str +3, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +2
Size: 0
Age: 18 (18), Height: 173 cm, Weight: 80 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Shapeshifter (Wolf), Magical Air
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +2, Attack ‑‑, Defense +7, Damage ‑‑
Bite: Init: +2, Attack +7, Defense +8, Damage +3
Knife: Init: +2, Attack +7, Defense +7, Damage +5
Fist: Init: +2, Attack +6, Defense +7, Damage +3
Kick: Init: +1, Attack +6, Defense +6, Damage +6
Soak: +9
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, ‑1, ‑3, ‑5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: ‑1 (1‑5), ‑3 (6‑10), ‑5 (11‑15), Incapacitated (16‑20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Irish 5 (slang), Brawl 5 (Bite), Climb 1 (Trees), Athletics 3 (While chasing), Awareness 4 (As a wolf), Hunt 4 (As a wolf), Survival 3 (Forests), Shapeshifter 1 (Wolf to Human)
Equipment: Partial Chain Mail (Soak: 9) (Soak: 9; Protection: 8; Quality Armor: +2)
Encumbrance: 0 (2)

I have some difficulties accepting an irish language score of 5 for a wolf that is basically an animal that SOMETIMES turns to human, not the other way around. I would diminish it and add area lore and leadership (pack of wolves), and maybe even folk ken. Maybe even Magical lore if he is in a magic-rich pack or has contact with the supernatural in his territory

One thing that I liked from the old shapeshifters (dunno if it made it into HOH:MC but I think not) was that that their animal form had a +1 for every 2 points in your human form for all the physical abilities and perception. I would use that, but maybe do it the other way around: the human form has plus and minuses related to the stegth and weaknesses of the wolf form :slight_smile:

Grog character, outcast from his pack. The Irish score is because Metacreator demanded a native language. Will change it to be saga appropriate when I get a chance, but it'll do for being posted right now. I'd regard it as "Language: Wolf" TBH.

Magical Air is why he's away from his pack, rather than the actual shifting.

Consider giving him low self steem or (if he does not have confidence already) some kind of mental (brooding, fatalistic) flaw. Being expelled from his pack must be a problem, at least during the early stages since wolves are social animals.

Xavi

Grog. He's at his flaws limit. else I would have. if he were a companion, he'd have ALL sorts of crippling self doubts.

Magical air is minor, right? Can't grogs have 3 points of flaws?

Magical Air is major.

I just discover that our troupe has been getting quite a few characters with extra flaws needlessly. Thanks for the pointer :slight_smile:

This, along side the ease of generation and the purdy purdy sheets it makes which are in a font 99% of the population can read are why I support Metacreator, despite it's discouraging lack of recent updates (I would love to see Apprentices and Grogs added to it at some point)