Letters, we got your letters

((Just a few days after Fiona receives her letter from Ra'am, she pens a response.))

To: Ra'am of Bonisagus
Covenant of Phoenix, Iberian Tribunal.

Covenant of Mons Electi, Normandy Tribunal

To my esteemed Bonisagian colleague, greetings.

I trust you do not take this the wrong way, but I have spoken with Korvin (in addition to sending letters to others whom I had heard were exceptional in the field of inventing Longevity Rituals) with hopes of finding a superior Ritual within our means in the soonest possible time, and I had not yet had the opportunity to discuss the matter with Korvin when I sent my letter.

He has agreed to invent and perform the ritual for us.

However, it's always good to have a civilized discussion among peers about common interests. For example, I find it fascinating that when transforming a person, regardless of their final form, there will always be certain traits that identify the transformed person as being human. ((Here she discusses at length some Corpus stuff, particularly how it's affected by Muto and tangentially by Rego)).

Regards,

Fiona ex Miscellanea

To: Fiona ex Miscellanea Kore tes Kirkes
Covenant of Mons Electi, Normandy Tribunal

Covenant of Phoenix, Iberian Tribunal.

To my esteemed sodalis,

No apology is necessary, although I do miss the opportunity for the chance to experiment with an actual longevity ritual and not just spells to explore longevity. I also find it difficult to schedule very much time, as I'm currently handling two apprentices, so my schedule, as you can imagine, is quite full. In truth, this opportunity was as much a challenge as it was an opportunity.

((Ra'am responds politely about the Corpus, going into Creo and Rego applications. It counts for the 1xp to Corpus))

I do enjoy correspondence with my colleague, very much. I am interested in finding suitable correspondents to discuss the application of the entirety of Hermetic Magic Theory, would you be interested in continuing the discussion along those lines in future letters? I find I have little time for corresponding for much else, but writing about Magic Theory is quite simply easy for me, and I enjoy the insights I receive from others who view magica Theory through their specialty, rather than my own.

Warm regards,
Ra'am scholae Bonisagi

((Fiona may or may not know that Tranquillina has corresponded with Ra'am a bit about Magic Theory.))

Sent 1225.4
To Tektonius of Bonisagus, StoneHendge Tribunal

Sodalis,

I hope this letter fines you in good form. My name is Korvin ex Mercere. I am a magus in the Normandy Tribunal at Mons Electi. I am given to understand that you are the filius of Cannophori Methuselah of Bonisagus. If true I have a question that perhaps you can answer.

First a bit of a story. I am not sure if you are familiar with the practices of the Normandy Tribunal and it's tournament to distribute its vis resources. Needless to say, every tribunal is followed by a tournament of games of skill and magic. Winners of the tournament are allowed to pick from various prizes such vis sources, enchanted items and book. It is of this last item that I have a question. At our most recent tournament we were able to win a complete and I believe original copies two huge tractatus on Corpus written by written by Cannophori. They appear to be bound in human skins. I've encloses a copy of the opening page in hopes that you will recognize it.

My question deals with the Calf and Cow oath. I have learned that Methuselah was lost on his way to Mons Electi and has been presumed dead. Having read your pater's work and talked at length about it to another magus, he has asked if he may get a copy of both tractatus. His religion prevents the touching of the dead so he has gone through me to inquire permission to copy the both tractatus on less offense medium. I would gladly pay you for the rights to copy the books and I will do the copying.

Please send a reply with my brother redcap.

Yours in friendship
Korvin ex Mercere.

Arrived 1227.2, about three week before Tribunal.

To: Korvin Merceris ab Mons Electi

Korvin,
I will be arriving within a week to prepare the Mercury's Blessing for Abigail. The House is providing all the vis necessary for the ritual, and I understand from your previous letter that she has selected one Praxiteles Jerbitonis from the Rhine Tribunal to be the father. Arrangements have been made, and the typical fee will be paid for this from the House coffers. Look forward to seeing you.

Yours,
Azura

This letter is penned in the winter of 1226. It is written quickly in a casual, familiar hand with rather thin letters, but upon high-quality Mons Electi parchment; the impression in the wax seal has been made with Tranquillina's coin sigil.

Dear Ariel,

It's always good to hear from you, and to hear that you grow ever more settled at Val Negra - and in your role as Prima, which I know you are filling admirably. I am more settled here as well, though perhaps with a bit more caution than I might have bothered with back up at Nigrasaxa. I started the year reading up on Parma Magica, and also spent some time this summer designing a defensive spell (of nature secret!) to improve our covenant's protection. It wasn't until the leaves started turning, it seems, that I was finally able to tends to my own needs, studying my favored Art from those gigantic tomes we won (Mons Electi, that is) in the last Tribunal, and also arranging a substantial corner of my laboratory so that my Pedestal is prominently featured.

On to other magi though: Roberto Rodriguez now joins us as a probationary member. Is he as hot-headed as he seems? I think his heart is in the right place, but I don't know whether his presence causes us to be more or less safe at Mons Electi. Though none would say outright, the other Flambeau here gave me the impression that Roberto is here on your instruction. This is reassuring in the abstract, yet I still wish I understood the specific situation that compelled his presence. Worry not, my friend, I do not hope to force you to divulge any House secrets. That being said ... care to divulge a few House secrets, related to this?

Speaking of the other Flambeau, I have gained some familiarity with them these last three years. On the surface Alexei acts like a noble dilettante, but he wears his Crusader's badge with pride, and his reputation as a Hermetic warrior is quite solid and, from what I can tell, deserved. He was the first to graciously welcome me to Mons Electi, and he certainly can turn a phrase well when impassioned. Isen - well, despite his cold reputation, he is not impossible to work with. Indeed, he has positively shone with enthusiasm (relatively speaking) when I cast my first Ward of the Curious Scullion in his presence. (He was quite pleased with my current invention. So now you know how to find out!) He, and Jacques as well, were instrumental in safely retrieving Marcus from the Magic Realm (that is quite a story - I shall tell you more when I see you next year) and in keeping me safe from harm.

You asked whether I knew aught of Thormod. Yes and no: I have communicated with him briefly, when he wrote to inquire about our stonemasons (having heard about the vast constructions we are erecting for the upcoming Tribunal). He is notoriously close to the vest, as I had heard. But I wonder whether the following sentence is telling: "Never doubt that our requests are made under the total direction of Archmaga Geirlaug, in person or otherwise." Why would he add the last phrase? It reminds me of this scheme I uncovered at the 1214 Stonehenge meeting, while talking with Caitlin. (Tranquillina relates a tale about Scintilla ex Flambeau and her filius Focus, who was never seen in person by all accounts. A messenger from Burnham was cornered into admitting that Focus's signature on a particular contract was actually written by Scintilla, giving the covenant of Burnham quite a setback.) Other than the roles of parens and descendant being reversed, there are some curious similarities that definitely guide my suspicions about the origins of directives from Montverte.

Keep yourself well, my friend. I'm sorry to hear about Chloe's illness, but her recovery seems to be underway. I'm sure you have access to far better magic than mine, but if you should ever want me to support her health, just send me an Arcane Connection by Redcap and I can be there at once.

Yours,
Tranquillina

This letter is penned late in the fall in 1225, after a pleasing harvest festival for the Mons Electi covenfolk. It is written in a simple hand, with rather thin letters, on one of Mons Electi's excellent parchments; the impression in the wax seal seems to have been made with a coin of some sort.

Salve, Findabair.

At this time of year I am wont to reflect on other occasions of fellowship and hospitality from my past, and today I am recalling my visit to Cad Gadu nearly a decade ago, where you feted me almost to the breaking point. I trust that by now, our subsequent incident in the deep of night can safely be relegated to a comical anecdote. (Had I known your interest in Edward le Grand had nothing to do with inside information, I would have been much less confrontational!)

It is a shame that you and I had few chances to familiarize ourselves before my departure from Stonehenge. I can report at least a new acquaintance here at Mons Electi: one Fiona of your diverse House. She has the blood of the Gaelic highland giants within her (obvious at a glance); some coincidence that I, of all the people in Normandy the one whose birthplace is closest to hers, should end up at her covenant. (So far our relationship is still marked with personal caution: I gather this is common for her, and for my part I am still working through an unvirtuous uneasiness in her presence - her size perhaps, although that explanation rings not completely true....) Regardless, she is a valuable member of our council, and I have learned much about our Parma Magica from one of the summa that she merited from my Domus Magna.

As it happens, I have been engrossed in the study of a book with which you are surely familiar: In Flux Veritas, perhaps the earliest extant writing of the tradition of Mutante. Your prowess with Muto magics is of course well known (and deservedly so). I have some skill with such spells - not on a par with your own, I hasten to add - but my recent reading has made me wonder about its relation to Forms other than Corpus.

More specifically: when we call upon Muto Corpus magic, we have a great deal of perceptive experience with the possible results of such spells (visages, limbs, what have you). Lately I have been pondering a much different sort of spell, Muto Vim, where the target and desired state are much more abstract. I admit to having some trouble transferring my knowledge of one sort of spell to the other, and I wonder whether you might have considered such issues before.... (Tranquillina goes on to list three examples from In Flux Veritas. The first two examples are somewhat general in nature, and Tranquillina contrasts how she would incorporate them into a MuCo spell to her hesitations concerning the analogous MuVim spells. The third example is a MuVi spell explicitly described in the summa, about which Tranquillina's questions concern the range and duration, which are unspecified in the book.)

If you are able to spare the time for what must be somewhat naive queries, I would be most grateful for your perspective. I would be pleased to reciprocate, were you not already so skilled in Corpus magic, but there is possibly some small point or other on which I might be of service.

In the Founder's name,
Tranquillina Bonisagi

This letter is penned early in the summer in 1227, two days after the Tribunal meeting ended. It is written in a simple hand, with rather thin letters, on one of Mons Electi's excellent parchments; the impression in the wax seal has been made with an ancient Roman coin.

Salve, Mathieus. I regret that I was unable to find you before you departed our Tribunal, to express my gratitude for your company at dinner on the first night of that meeting. I enjoyed our broad-ranging and intriguing conversation, and I hope that this is only the start of a correspondence of long standing.

As it happens, a matter has arisen about which I felt impelled to seek your expert opinion. Later at this Tribunal I made the acquaintance of one Stultus Maximus ex Tytalus. Despite the well-known disreputability of members of that House, I am considering entering into a contract with this Stultus. He tells me that his latest home was in factor Eboris, and thus his disposition should be known to you. If you would be so kind: how would you describe Stultus's prowess and strengths of a Hermetic nature? And more importantly, how would you describe his nobility of character?

I appreciate learning any information you deem relevant to my request. In the meantime, I am sincerely yours,

Tranquillina Bonisagi filia Maximianus

((Sent shortly after the conclusion of the Tribunal))

To: Ariel, Prima of House Flambeau

My Dearest Prima, I do hope this letter finds you well and also that your time spent at our Tribunal and Covenant was satisfying. Needless to say it was quite satisfying for me and my Sodales at Mons Electi. A great increase in prestige and importance I should say.

Reflecting on the fortunes received, I find myself dwelling more than a bit on our Founder and his views both on Religion and Christ, and also our duty as Magi in this Order. I feel that far too many in the Order think of him and the legends of his prowess and temper rather than his devotion and deep well of faith. He wrote few things that have survived, but I understand his second apprentice was considerd quite lettered as well as being his biographer.

Seeing this, I feel I should look back to Him as I go forward, at the very least it would do me good to know more of the House's history. As the Prima of House Flambeau you might have greater access to writings in regard to him. I am looking specifically for De Protestate et Obligatione . No doubt the book is also at Durenmar, but they are notoriously slow with regards to sending books. I will gladly compensate the House for this boon and would consider it a great honour if there are other books that you, my Prima, might consider for me to read, especially in regards to my new role in the Tribunal.

Thank you kindly for any considerations.

Your Servant,
Alexei Von Kroitsau, ex Milites
Chief Hoplite of the Normandy Tribunal

The letter is scribed on an imperfectly-scraped palimpsest, in Stultus' rather precise, careful handwriting. It's addressed to Gabrielle the scribe, at the Covenant of Montverte.

Gabby, dear girl:

I hope this letter finds you well, in good health and fine spirits, and that things with Shlomo the trader (whom you mentioned in your last letter) are proceeding to your satisfaction. You had high hopes for that situation, if I recall correctly. If he proves recalcitrant, or slow on the uptake, please remember that my offer to waylay him with a large knotted club and beat some sense into him still stands.

My previous address, at Eboris, is no longer correct. Letters sent there should still reach me eventually, by a roundabout route, but for the foreseeable future I've made my home at the Covenant of Mons Electi. It's proved to be a surprisingly genial place. I must say I am greatly enjoying myself here, and my new covenant-mates are, almost without exception, great fun to talk to -- much better than the usual dry sticks one finds in well-established covenants.

I regret to say that I have not yet located the book you asked me to keep an eye out for. The destruction the Albigensian Crusade wrought in its wake is a great impediment. It is entirely possible that no copies exist anymore, and the writings of RABaD are lost to history -- but that would be a terrible shame, so I shall keep looking.

With regards to your last inquiry into whether I had found a nice girl yet, and the consequent intimation that perhaps I should be looking for a nice boy instead, I must say that snideness ill becomes you, young lady. (The passage was, however, perfectly crafted -- we'll make a humorist out of you yet.) I have no progress to report on that front, although there are some large possibilities looming on the horizon. Whether that is a good thing or not remains to be determined.

I shall eagerly await your next missive. Until then, I remain,
Yours truly,
Stultus ex Tytalus.

The palimpsest is imperfectly scraped, so a decorative border is visible from what was on the page previously. Concealed within the border is a second missive to Gabrielle, in Aramaic. It expresses concern that Mons Electi may come under attack from Montverte, and asks Gabrielle to keep an eye out for, and pass along, any information on that score, so as to avoid unnecessary loss of life.

(letter sent shortly after Fiona returns from Grand Tribunal, in the Summer of 1228)

Dear Viscaria,

I trust that things are going well for you since your return to Phoenix. Things are proceeding apace here; we have a couple of new members who have joined over the past couple of years, but none able to take your place.

All of Normandy was impressed by the work you had done in creating our Tribunal Grounds. In fact, they were so impressed that they have expressed an interest in holding the Tribunal here permanently. We have managed to have them table the motion until the Lotharingian question was settled at Grand Tribunal, but now it seems we must face it again in 1235.

When you were here before, we had talked some about enchanting the pegasus that Petronius carved for me some time ago. Are you still interested in undertaking such a project?

Fiona

(letter sent shortly after Fiona returns from Grand Tribunal, in the Summer of 1228)

Dear Petronius.

My apologies for not writing sooner, but as you can imagine life has been very hectic since last summer. I hope that you, and the people of Laurus Argenti, have found some respite since our Tribunal.

I find myself taking solace in the magnificent Pegasus that Praxiteles created for me some years ago. It still stands proudly in the courtyard for all to see. And as I sit, watching it, I can tell that it yearns to fly free, to feel the soaring winds beneath its wings.

Would you be interested in returning to Mons Electi for some time to enchant the Pegasus for me? I would be most grateful, and will do what I can to help.

Fiona filia Marós Ex Miscellanea Kore tes Kirkes ab Mons Electi

(A answer to Fiona's letter arrives only three days later from Pettonius)

To Fiona filia Marós, of Mons Electi, do I, Petronius e Bonisago, send my warm greetings.

As you can imagine, the first few months after Praxiteles' passing have been difficult for us in Laurus Argenti. When a group of magi have been together as long as we have, the disappearance of one of us has profound impacts. We at Laurus Argenti lost a member of our family that fateful day, and the circumstances of his death made things even more difficult to accept and live with.

I remember seeing the sculpture as he began working on it, but I don't believe I've had the chance to see it completed. The last time I was there, it was for Tribunal and events made it impossible for me to visit your covenant proper -- I stayed in the Tribunal city for most of my visit. It would be an honour for me to work on one of Praxiteles' masterpieces, provided I can be of service. I can arrange for a visit in a few weeks, however, once I have wrapped up my current lab project. We could at that time discuss the kind of work you would like done, and various ways it could be done.

In friendship,
Master Petronius e Bonisago
Laurus Argenti, Rhine Tribunal

To Petronius e Bonisago, warm greetings from Fiona ex Miscellanea

I was quite pleased (and, I must confess, pleasantly surprised) to receive such a quick reply to my inquiry. I can certainly sympathize with the pain your entire covenant must feel. I have only lost one sodalis to that which awaits us all, and I had only known him a couple of years; I still feel the pain of his passing. And, although I had only known Praxiteles a short while, I had grown fond of him in that span, and think of him often.

I would be delighted to extend to you and yours the hospitality, not only of Mons Electi but me personally, and look forward to seeing you again. And I hope that ours can be a fruitful and mutually beneficial arrangement.

Give my regards to the others, and I look forward to your visit.

Fiona

The following letter is delivered to Tranquillina about 1 week after Cumhachd departs, by a Redcap who requests her voting sigil as acknowledgement. If questioned about it, he informs her that her sigil is to be held by Cavillor pending resolution of the matter detailed in the letter.

To: Tranquillina filia Maximanius scholae Bonisagi ab Mons Electi
From: Quaesitor Cavillor filius Proctor scholae Guernici ab Confluensis
CC: Prima Bilera scholae Guernici ab Magvilus, Prima Murion scolae Bonisagi ab Durenmar, Primus Harpax doctrinae Tytali, Prima Bullista doctrinae Tytali

Please be advised that I have consented to allow Quaesitor Adrasteia doctrinae Tytali ab Covenant of the Icy North to conduct an investigation into the matter of Cumhachd Tytali v Tranquillina, a matter that occurred in Gallia Transalpina. For the term of this investigation, and on this investigation alone, she has the full sweep of Quaesitorial powers vested in her by the Council of Magivillus, and may present a prosecution at the next scheduled Normandy Tribunal, should she so desire or it become necessary. This letter serves as a notice to all parties that Adrasteia has attested to the fact that she has taken a statement from Cumhachd that Tranquillina did willfully and knowingly attempt to deprive her of her magical power by attacking her apprentice, under Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie. Adrasteia will be contacting the accused at her own convenience. The parties directly involved may be heard in full in my chambers at Confluensis, should they so desire, after Adrasteia completes her investigation and shares her findings of fact.

Yours,
Quaesitor Cavillor filius Proctor scholae Guernici ab Confluensis

((letting you know I saw this letter ... Tranquillina, who is undoubtedly overjoyed :unamused: , will probably call the council together to inform them and to ask whether she should press a counterclaim vis a vis the stolen summa. But let's come back to that once the chronology has advanced a little))

Herein lay the final legacy of Alexei Von Kroitsau Flambonis, ex Milites, proud member of Mons Electi, and Chief Hoplite of the Normandy Tribunal.

It is my solemn and sad duty to put quill and ink to paper and write of Alexei, whom I often knew as Lexi, as did many of the men and women who served him. It was a term of affection and admiration that we used upon gaining a level of familiarity in service with him. Many know of Alexei’s severe exterior, his demand of formality. A lucky few knew that beneath that veneer was a man who had a great love of humour, of romantic tales, of the few writings of the Founder of his House and that of his students, and finally that his love of the church was often at odds with his sense of duty to the Order he served. In the end he was able to reconcile only some of these loves of his life.

It was the Spring of the Year of Our Lord 1229 that began the events which concluded with such calamity. A dishonourable ruse was played on Alexei and the Prima of Flambeau Ariel, wherein Alexei received what seemed to be a genuine invitation to the new Domus Magna of the House. Amidst some confusion and a near battle with the guardians of Val Negra, the ruse was discovered, but not the author. Alexei was given the task of finding the perpetrator.

Alexei was a proud Magus, not as scholarly as many of his Sodalis, but never held his skills as second to any. His flaw was that he held to a sense of honour that few others adhered to. And the more he discovered this fact, the more he cleaved to those values, believing with all his heart that the answer lay within. The more he was mocked for his beliefs, the more he would express them and put them to his use. This particular task would put him to the test in a way that he often doubted he could succeed. Investigations were not something he cared for. He often told me that if he had his way he would challenge his suspects to a duel of some kind to get the answers he sought. I believe though that his years in Normandy were teaching hard lessons.

The Redcap Alaire was he felt the key, but he was elusive as smoke, with superior knowledge of the landscape and allies and conspirators seemingly everywhere. Alexei also lamented that the valued service the Redcaps offered meant that the strong tactics he wanted to use would do nothing but sully his reputation; this was his first action as Chief Hoplite, and many eyes were on him. It was finally late in Spring that he managed to encounter Alaire, seemingly by luck, but Alexei said it was fate. His constant questioning paid off, and he found the home of a fair maiden of the name of Juliene. She and Alaire often met during his rounds of the vassal covenants of Montvert. Alexei left some extra coin and vis at one of the vassals of Montvert; [Name removed pending Quaesitorial investigation]. Alaire was delayed by their hospitality and Alexei arrived at Juliene’s before him.

Alaire could not have been more surprised, nor guilt ridden when Alexei answered the door of Juleine’s cottage. He tried playing coy and ignorant, then even threatened Alexei with all manner of consequences. Finally he tried fleeing. With Donner at his side, Alexei had no difficulty in finding him. It is sad the events that happened next, Alexei truly did not wish to kill him, but was left with no choice when Alaire rounded on him with an enchanted device. Alexei and Donner were sorely wounded, but I’ve seen him sustain far worse and he dispatched the Redcap with a heavy heart. Alexei had slain Alaire but did not confirm his suspicions of Rotgers. Alexei was no doubt concerned about his future within the Order, and he felt that he had no choice but to press his suspicions against Rotgers. He healed himself and told no one yet about his encounter with Alaire and the fatal results.

Alexei then made war upon Rotgers. He kept others out of both his plans and his attacks, not wanting to embroil any in his affairs. He prayed every night that his actions would not fall on the Magi of Mons Electi. He started with the road to Montvert and began taxing all who would cross it, magi and mundane alike. The legality of this would no doubt be questioned, and to some there was no question of its lack of legality. But Alexei remarked. “If the bastard Rotgers shall become so embroiled in the affairs and household of the Baron, then let their fortunes be as one.” Alexei donned the livery of the Baron in these actions, raising the ire of the people under his flag. He attacked and slew men-at-arms and knights of other lords as well as the Baron’s knights that sought to stop him. Alexei is not known as being subtle…yet that is because he is more subtle than many would ever imagine.

His Gentle Gift and unassuming magic left him an open field to rile up the people as well as slay any that opposed him, all the while hiding his presence as a magus. This was a tactic that is not well known about Alexei, which is intentional. Leaving no evidence leaves nothing to witness nor write about later. The Baron’s knights he questioned did not know they sought a magus initially, they assumed it was a bandit impersonating them. As the year drew on, Alexei caused much consternation to the Baron and no doubt Rotgers as well. It was in the beginning of Fall that he received the results he sought; Rotgers took the field himself, searching for Alexei.

Alexei’s gambit worked well. Rotgers’ impression of Alexei being a straight forward knight on a horse with a code that resisted deceptive tactics led him to leave the protection of his Aegis in search of what must have seemed to be a simple but troublesome bandit. Alexei ambushed Rotgers and his knights on the road, giving no quarter and asking for none. When Rotgers saw Alexei all pretense at brotherhood within their House was done. While Alexei’s men attacked the knights with Rotgers, Alexei and Donner appeared next to Rotgers and fought in close quarter.

Alexei’s advantage over most magi is that he can fight in a way that they often know nothing of; the melee. Rotgers did not share that weakness. A canny fight began, Alexei’s ability to use magic without word or gesture served him well as Rotgers used affects to hinder and bind him. It was still effective enough to wound him though and were it not for Donner, he would likely have died.

Donner proved that day he was not the runt of the litter and he rended three knights and their horses to get by Alexei’s side and bite the arm off of Rotgers. That wound was not enough to kill him, and Donner was undone by a spell that he could not defend against. With the death of Donner Alexei flew into a rage and ran Rotgers through on his spear, his talisman weapon, and spat his bile and blood into Rotgers’ face as the magus died.

Alexei was a changed man after that. The Tribunal was convened so he could answer for his actions. Alexei’s main defense was that Alaire had forfeited his immunity when he attacked Alexei, while with Rotgers he was determined to have him declared Marched posthumously for both perpetrating the ruse on he and his Prima and for endangering his Sodalis with his close ties to the Baron. Though his friends of Mons Electi pressed this defense vigorously, Alexei was too melancholy from the valiant death of his new familiar to provide much assistance.

In the end Alexei was required to travel to Magvillus for a special investigation. All knew that the forces of the Guernicus had put this in motion and that Alexei would never be seen again. He left his affects with Fiona, to dispense among the remaining magi as she saw fit. He confessed to me that one of his greatest of many regrets was that he had met Fiona so late in his career. He spoke of a great affection he had for her and also that his vows to God and the church (which I never knew he made) were some of the hardest to keep when in her presence.

Of what transpired at Magvillus, I cannot say. No correspondences from he or the Magi there have been delivered and letters sent there are returned with no word. The only thing I know that gives me hope is this.

One morning in my new duties as librarian of Mons Electi, I was bringing the last of the scrolls, books and writing materials from Alexei’s home. It was a somber duty and one I had put off a long time. The door was locked, barred from the inside, but this should not have been. No magi were available so I had a grog hack through the door with an axe until we could enter. It is then that I found what blocked the way. Alexei’s talisman staff had been set in the groove as it so often was when he desired privacy. But how could this be? Alexei never returned and he had brought the staff with him. How could it be here, now some years later? I do not know, but it gives me hope. I have given the staff and these pages to good Maga Fiona, as I feel that is what Alexei would want. Perhaps she can discern what Alexei’s fate was.

These pages I commit to the records of Mons Electi, in the Summer of the Year of Our Lord, 1234. May Alexei’s example be remembered with honor and cherished by those who knew him. I know that I, Helmut Siggismund, shall always cherish and love my master, Alexei Von Kroitsau Flambonis ex Milites; my Lord Lexi.