Libri Quaestionum

Whatever happened to LQs? This book type was in ArM4, and served at least a useful thematic purpose, representing something sort of between a summa and a tractatus.

The three possibilities that come to mind are...

1. Did it devalue high-level summae?
  2. Was it unbalancing in some way?
  3. Or was it just deemed to be an unnecessary complexity to have them?

Initially I had expected to find rules for them in Covenants, but no such luck. I didn't play ArM4 more than a couple times, so I never really saw if they had some perverse effect on the game or anything.

As I see it, LQ are unecessary in ArM5. They are better represented, IMO, by low-level (high-quality) Summa. (Really, you won't learn much beyond the basics from a book of apprentice-level questions and answers.)

My problem with LQ was the complexity. IIRC, their "goldilocks zone" of XP was a little too wide, which meant that the optimal way to study books was to get a high-quality Tractatus, then spend 3 seasons reading an LQ whose level was one level higher than yours (you'd gain less XP during the first and third season, but it paid out better on balance), and by that time you were too high-level for most Summae or Authorities to matter. Since the medieval practice was so heavily reliant on Authorities (which are now just high-level Summae), this mechanic was almost the opposite of what it should have been. The new "best" mechanic (read the highest Quality Summa you can find, then the highest Level, then gather all the Tractatus you can) is a closer fit. There's elements that could be better (if two Summae have identical stats they're interchangable; an ideal system wouldn't have this) but there are easy workarounds (like the Commentaries from Covenants; Tractatus with higher than normal quality that require you to have spent a season studying a related Summa to benefit).