Line Quality

But why not go one step further and say "Jerks are not welcome to jerk here." That is, why is it so strange to suggest that the burden of politness is on the loud and ignorant, not on the authors? There are some people who I would have liked to write for the line who choose not to, because they don't want to deal with the abuse. I, personally, gave up the Berklist because I was tired of the constant heckling and the demand that I defend every fact in every book, line by line, by abusive posters.

My presence here is voluntary - I am not an employee of Atlas. If posters cannot be civil then the forum will become like the D&D forums, or the Star Wars forums, where the authors avoid their game/franchise fandoms. You either be polite to the authors or you don't get their presence: demanding that they "toughen up" so that they tolerate the level of rudeness you are advocating is, IMO, a niaeve thing. Why should I bother to toughen up? What's in it for me?

When I run a writer's seminar for Ars magica in a couple of hours, why should I say to the young authors "Sure, some of the posters are going to send you hate mail in which they accuse you of being a Nazi sympathiser. Sure, you'll recieve more mail about a single tiny flaw, like the timing issue of crossbow fire than you will about the whole of the rest of the book its in, even if it solves big problem for the line (like the cost of castles), but you should just harden up! Whyever would one of these authors write for Ars on that basis, when, being Aussies, their other option is to write independent games instead, and not have to deal with toxic fans?

David -is- one of the moderators and this is how he chooses to moderate. To answer your question, you can report him by writing to Michelle Nephew, whose adress is all over the site, and then she can have a bit of a think which goes like this:

"Do I want to censure David for being too hard on a guy who came into the forums and criticised our stuff based on White Wolf material, or do I feel like watching my new twin girls sleep?"

I am not Michelle, but I can see where I'd spend my time.

Bash was rude one time and apologized immediately. I don't think that he should (yet) be classified with abe :frowning:

I'm betting that going from no kids to twins she's more interested in sleeping herself,

And I think the point that several people have been trying to make is, those comments are welcomed. If there's something that bugs you about Ars fifth shout it out. But its comments along the line of "it sux" that are hard to stomach, mainly because they're not constructive and err on the side of abusive.

The trouble is that the internet is a very insulating medium; I don't know you and you don't know me. So it's easy to post comments that in all liklihood you wouldn't dream of saying in person in discussion over a beer or a coffee. There's little comeback if you go exercise your internet wit to belittle someone's efforts.

And I'm personally happy to take the criticism if and when it comes. But if someone is acting the jerk, I'm free to point it out. Nothing to do with being thin-skinned, I'm just not keen on jerks. And if that jerk doesn't like being called on it, well he/she can either stop acting the jerk or suck it up and move on.

Let's be clear, a company puts something out for sale and there are going to be good and bad comments. It will gel with some people and not with others. Usually, given the effort that goes into an Ars Magica product, the good outweighs the bad. This edition more than any other. Most of the community are supportive and enthusiastic. And most of us have our own bugbears about what we don't like. And this forum, I feel, is a great place to both enthuse and blow off steam. Just keep it polite. It's not hard.

I'm cool if people want to tell me they think my work sucks. As long as they spell my name right! :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:
I don't know what happened, but I am surprised, as I find that, even if there are heated arguments from time to time between different opinions, there is most of the time nothing so horrible IMO, and rather a lot of interesting discussions and people willing to help and give advice. Hell, I find myself rather distasteful from time to time, reacting very strongly to things I profundly disagree with, and think that some people are very patient in keeping up with me.

Have you considered that maybe (just an hypothesis, I wasn't there) you had came in all guns blazing, which elicited a violent response, and have stayed focused on that bad impression since?

IMO, you're being a little too quick there. I think that, if he hadn't before, there are chances he's understood the problem, with most people here hammering the point. Moreso, on other topics, he's having "normal" and interesting discussions with people.

Have you considered that that is a fairly condescending comment? :smiley: (smiley indicating light-hearted response, just so it's not missed)

Seriously though, yes I have considered that. Unfortunately, my subsequent experiences on this forum haven't done much to overcome that first impression.

This whole thread is doing more harm than good. I'm locking it, if David or Atlas want to unlock it they should feel free to do so. Anyone else pm me if you feel you really really have to add just one more thing,