[LoM] Agents for starting characters?

You know, thinking about this, cool as Agents seems to be now that I understand how to make them, I find myself wondering what they really add to the game. I mean, the same role could easily be filled by a grog.

OK, you have the mechanic for agents that allow them to preform a mission with a single die roll, but really you could do that with a grog... rather then roleplaying out the whole mission the storyguide can just say "roll X + Y for agent grog" and have done.

Ok, you can't have influential and flavorful agents like my Landed Noble Werewolf example, but Cuchulainshound is right... that kind of story potential is better reserved for PC companions and magi. If you wanted a Landed Noble Werewolf in your saga, it would make a great companion.

Neat as the agent mechanic seems, now that I've figured it out, I think I won't be using it after all.

It is just put rules mechanisms for what has been around for decades. IMS at least, and I know I am not the only one.

However, the landed noble werewolf would NOT be a companion IMS. Not necessarily at least. being a NPC it is much easier for the SG to mess things up mightily using that character than if he is a PC. This is because you can have him go and kill the local bishop or attack one of the mages. Doing that with PC werewolves things are more complicated to pull off without pissing people up (either the werewolf or the victim, or both). At least I find it easier that way, but that might be a fault of my SG-ing style. A player werewolf is great for the "you wake up in the middle of a forest. You have blood all over you...." kind of adventure. But it is not so great for "you arrive at the cathedral to discover that the archbishop has been attacked by a monster" situation. I like the monsters to be allies of the PC.

Different types of stories. Not every interesting character needs to be a PC.

Cheers,
Xavi

Regarding the storyline thread example... I agree, for me it adds a bit more spice and drama. You don't have to do it but it's more exciting to have the Agent's daughter about to be sacrificed than some random peasant girl.

I alway like systems that reward motivations or create motivations. By adding Flaws to the Agent, not a PC, I can use them when and how I want. Maybe never. But if Player A comes to me and says... hey, I'd like to do a story that would increase my Bond with that Duke's son since I may need him in the future then... Bam! With a Flaw already present, I have a bit more of an inkling of how to craft that story.