Lucas of Mercere - Development

You can just start with one of the sample creatures and build from there. Give him more powers (or remove some), play with his Might score et al. When you have him in a form that you think makes a good familiar, bind him and integrate his powers. From then onwards it starts evolving as a familiar :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Xavi

Okay, I am totally making this up. Well, not entirely. I used Celeste as a model, and came up with a familiar that has essentially the same number of virtues, flaws, qualities, and inferiorities than Celeste (though some have been changed), and actually has lower characteristics than Celeste. Abilities are clearly lower, as well, since I haven't had my familiar as long. (Do familiars advance as magi do?) I started the familiar out as a Summer creature with 360 points for Abilities. Was that right?

So this is my flailing stab in the dark as to what a familiar should look like. Please feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Horus[/size]

Animal: Peregrine Falcon
Magic Might: 10
Bond: Gold Cord: 1 (5), Silver Cord: 0 (0), Bronze Cord: 3 (30)
Bond Powers: Mental Communication [CrMe15] from Lucas to Horus, unlimited uses

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +3, Str -8, Sta +2, Pre 0, Com 0, Dex +1, Qui +6
Size: -4
Confidence Score: 1 (3)

Animal Qualities: Accomplished Flier, Fast Flier (+3 on rolls involving speed), Keen Eyesight, Pursuit Predator, Extra Natural Weapons
Qualities: Gift of Speech, Personal Power x4 (see below), Improved Abilities, Improved Attack (talons), Improved Damage (talons), Improved Defense (talons), Improved Soak, Voice of the Air
Inferiorities: Reduced Might x4, Susceptible to Deprivation

Virtues: Improved Characteristics x3, Keen Vision, Second Sight, True Friend (Lucas), Wilderness Sense
Flaws: Fragile Constitution, Magical Friend, No Hands

Personality Traits: Fierce +2, Merciful +3, Loyal (Lucas) +3
Soak: +4
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1), -3 (2), -5 (3), Incapacitated (4)

[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th][th][left]Specialty[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Exp.[/th] [th][left]Notes[/left][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Iberian Tribunal[/td] [td]geography[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Normandy Tribunal[/td] [td]geography[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Provençal Tribunal[/td] [td]geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Pyrenees[/td] [td]geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales (Latin alphabet)[/td][td]rItual magic[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]flying[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]75[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td][td]spotting prey[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td] [td]talons[/td][td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td][td]using powers[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language: Latin[/td] [td]hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td][td]magi[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]magi[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt[/td][td]small birds[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Occitan[/td] [td]Catalan[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: French[/td] [td]Bourgeneon[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Organization Lore: Order of Hermes[/td] [td]House Mercere[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Lore[/td] [td]creatures[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]assisting in lab[/td][td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Second Sight[/td] [td]illusory disguises[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td][td]sneaking up on prey[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival[/td] [td]mountains[/td][td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wilderness Sense[/td] [td]direction[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

MAGIC POWERS

Eyes of the Falcon (Eagle) InIm 25
Imaginem, 0 Might points, Init +5
(R: Vision, D: Sun, T: Ind.)

Human Shape MuFo 20
Corpus, 0 Might points, Init +4
(R: Pers., D: Sun, T: Ind.)

Veil of Invisibility PeIm 20

Wizard’s Sidestep ReIm 10

What I did was, start with the mundane animals in the back of the book (or, if you have the 4th edition Medieval Bestiary, with one from there), and use the rules in either there or Houses of Hermes: Mystery Cults in the back Bjornaer section (because, animals and Bjornaer, why not?)

The animal Qualities (and Inferiorities) are free. Animal Virtues and Flaws (i.e. those that you get just for being a badger or bear or dolphin or whatever) don't have to balance 1:1. I think it's more like 3:1.

Once you have your mundane base, then you look at the Magic Character creation rules in RoP: M, and decide on your character's Season and Level (e.g. Spring Magus or Autumn Grog). You get a number of Magical Qualities based on (1) your character's initial Might (before adjusting for Size?) and (2) any Magical Inferiorities you take. For example. If your Hawk has a base 10 Might, and you take an additonal 6 points in Inferiorities, then you can buy 16 points in Qualities.

Your character also gets a number of Experience Points based on Season and Level to buy Abilities with. Don't forget that your character doesn't get a Native Language for free. That has to come out of that Experience Points pool. Also, some Qualities give you a default Ability (such as Hunt: 4 or Swim 3); I think that just applies to Bestial Qualities, as I can't think of any Magical ones off-hand that do that.

Also, thinking ahead: Magical Characters take a penalty to SQ equal to their Might Score when learning anything. So, if your character has a Might of 15, he subtracts that whenever he tries to learn anything. Which makes Adventure Experience pretty useless, as you can only apply 5 to any given ability.

I modeled my build on what was shown for Celeste, since by pure coincidence I have the same kind of familiar as Vocis (a falcon). I tried to follow the rules as best I could, though where the rules were a bit unclear I had to guess. In the end, I figured that whatever familiar rules you were using resulted in Celeste looking like she did. So my build (also for a falcon) ought to result in something at least roughly similar (albeit a little less powerful, since it's a younger familiar.)

I ended up buying two more Improved Characteristic virtues than Celeste, but only managed to get characteristics that were a couple of points shy of what Celeste had. And that was with the assumption that I could start off buying Int (instead of leaving Cun, and converting to -3 Int later). Nothing else came close to giving me stats in the same ballpark.

As for Abilities, it didn't seem like Celeste subtracted 10 from the points in each Ability, so I wasn't sure if that was standard operating procedures. As it stands, Celeste has about 600 points in abilities, which is not quite twice a Summer starting point. I made a guess that Celeste started off as a Summer creature and has gone up over the years. But that was just an assumption. I'm not really certain exactly how Celeste got where she is. It's also not entirely clear where the -10 comes in. Compare the situation where Celeste got xp every week and got 5 xp/week with a similar situation in which xp was awarded monthly and she got 20xp/month. In the first situation does she get 0 xp/week if xp is handed out weekly (since 10-5<0), but gets 10xp/month if xp is handed out monthly? The rules didn't make that entirely clear.

All in all, that's why I still color myself confused. I was able to make up a familiar that was close to what I figured Celeste looked like as a starting familiar. But to do so I had to engage in a little hand waving at times. I fear that by using the rules strictly as written, it would be impossible to get a familiar that looked like Celeste. That was why I was asking of there were any special rules you guys used.

That's only for in play, not chargen. Once you start play, if you (for example) decide to take a season teaching her Magic Theory, then under RoP: M rules she would subtract the MM.

Although a common house rule (or this may be RAW, it's kind of unclear) is to ignore the magic might penalty when a familiar is being taught by her magus. I think Marko's expanded that to whatever the familiar learns in the presence of the human isn't penalized by the magic might, but I might be mistaken. I'm bjornaer, we don't trifle with familiars.

I've gone through several possibilities and can't find any explanation for those characteristics. I'll just fix them. :blush:

Her Abilities are the result of familiar advancement rules being in flux at the time she was made. Marko was giving familiars a little more xp (up to 30 per year somehow?) and Celeste was Vocis's apprentice for 19 years before the saga started. There may have been other differences as well. The system has since been changed multiple times, so Celeste is kind of a grandfathered oddball. I guess what I'm saying is, do not, under any circumstances, do what you probably just spent hours doing - use Celeste as an example familiar. :frowning:

Peregrine's strategy is a much better process to work from, but I do have a couple comments on it. He's right that the familiar won't get a Native Language, but as soon as the familiar is bound it gains scores equal to the magus in all languages the magus knows (ArM5 p. 105). Also, there are exceptions to the Might-based penalty to Source Quality. We've had recent discussions about this and I think this is the latest word from Marko on the matter. I also assume that the 5 xp/season average advancement listed in the house rules ignores the Might-based SQ penalty.

You can model the familiar on this or that animal or beast or whatever. But at the end of the day, the familiar is a character and must balance within themself. Natural Qualities are just fluff and have no meaning for a Magic Animal character. They are good ideas to suggest Virtues & Flaws and such.
The standard default we have been using is a Might of 10 and Summer (360xp).
For Advancement...
Core RAW says familiars can learn from their magus. RoP-Magic contradicts this with the might penalty to advancement. So, I reason they are penalized unless they are learning from or alongside their magus. The rules for direct teaching/training apply as normal. But by exposure/adventure, presuming their magus is involved, Familiars are equivilent to Companions. So that is 20xp per year in abstract.
Celeste may have too many XP.
Familiars learning from magi is a quasi House Rule, in that it was the presumed rule for years until RoP-Magic came out. I am just adapting. Familiars being able to learn alongside magi from exposure/adventure, that is a HR and an expansion. But actually, it is scaled down from my previous version that allowed familiars to read books their magus wrote. I later decided that is a bad idea. I do like customizing the game with House Rules, but I am also a Minimalist and prefer to keep HR's shaved down as smoothly as possible.
Tnagential.
Anyway, I also fixed the membership list on the wiki. The list is separated into ranks rather than location. We are one covenant. I also took Arnau off the magi list and put him over on the Companions list.

Okay, so I may have spent hours working up Horus based on Celeste. But I don't think it was wasted time. It familiarized me with the process and gave me a spreadsheet that I could edit. So this time, I followed Peregrine's suggestion. I started with a falcon, then converted it to a magical beast.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Peregrine Falcon (basic bird)[/size]

Characteristics: Cun -1, Per +3, Pre -1, Com 0, Str -6, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +6
Virtues and Flaws: Ferocity (swooping attack), Keen Vision, Fragile Constitution
Qualities: Accomplished Flier, Fast Flier, Keen Eyesight, Pursuit Predator, Extra Natural Weapons
Personality Traits: Fierce +3
Reputations: None
Combat:
Talons: Init +5, Attack +6, Defense +12, Damage -4
Beak: Init +6, Atk +6, Defense +9, Damage -5
Soak: -2
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0/0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-2), -3 (3-4), -5 (5-6), Incapacitated (7-8), Dead (9+)
Abilities: Athletics 5 (swift flight), Awareness 4 (spotting prey), Brawl 2 (talons), Hunt 4 (game birds), Survival 3 (cold climates)
Natural Weapons: The weapon statistics for a falcon's talons are Init -1, Atk +2, Def +3, Dam +2. The statistics for its beak are Init 0, Atk +3, Def +1, Dam +1.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]CHANGES MADE TO MAKE INTO A MAGICAL BEAST[/size]
Change Cun to Int, and lose Ferocity
Swap Survival 3 (cold climates) for Survival 3 (mountainous climates) since it’s a peregrine falcon not a gyrfalcon
Add Magical Might of 10 –(-4) = 14
Add Improved Characteristics, Magical Animal, and True Friend (Lucas) Virtues
Add Magical Friend Flaw
Add Reduced Might (x4) and Susceptible to Deprivation Inferiorities
Add 15 Qualities (10 for Might and 5 for Inferiorities):

1. Gift of Speech
  2. Improved Abilities
  3. Improved Attack (talons)
  4. Improved Damage (talons)
  5. Improved Defense (talons)
  6. Improved Powers
  7. Improved Soak
  8. Minor Virtue: Improved Characteristics
  9. Minor Virtue: Second Sight
  10. Minor Virtue: Voice of the Air
  11. Minor Virtue: Wilderness Sense
  12. Personal Power: Human Shape
  13. Personal Power: Eyes of the Falcon (Eagle)
  14. Personal Power: Veil of Invisibility
  15. Personal Power: Wizard’s Sidestep
    Increase Int from -1 to +2 (4 points)
    Increase Pre from -1 to +1 (2 points)
    Add personality trait: Merciful +2
    Add 425 points of Abilities (360 for Summer creature + 50 for Improved Abilities +15 for leftover points from Improved Powers)

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Falcon of Virtue (converted to magical animal)[/size]

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +3, Pre +1, Com 0, Str -6, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +6
Magical Might: 10
Virtues and Flaws: Improved Characteristics (x2), Keen Vision, Magical Animal, Second Sight, True Friend (Lucas), Voice of the Air, Wilderness Sense, Fragile Constitution, Magical Friend
Qualities: Accomplished Flier, Fast Flier, Gift of Speech, Keen Eyesight, Improved Abilities, Improved Attack (talons), Improved Damage (talons), Improved Defense (talons), Improved Powers, Improved Soak, Minor Virtue (x4), Personal Power (x4), Pursuit Predator, Extra Natural Weapons
Inferiorities: Reduced Might (x4), Susceptible to Deprivation
Personality Traits: Fierce +3, Loyal to Lucas +3, Merciful +2
Combat:
Talons: Init +5, Attack +8, Defense +14, Damage -1
Soak: 0
Abilities: Brawl 5 (talons), Charm 2 (looking impressive), Concentration 2 (using powers), Dead Language: Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Etiquette 2 (magi), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Guile 1 (evading pursuit), Hunt 4 (game birds), Leadership 2 (grogs), Living Language: Occitan 5 (Catalan), Living Language: French 5 (Bourgeneon), Organization Lore: Order of Hermes 2 (House Mercere), Magic Lore 2 (creatures), Magic Theory 6 (assisting in lab), Second Sight 3 (illusory disguises), Stealth 3 (sneaking up on prey), Survival 3 (mountains), Wilderness Sense 3 (direction)
Natural Weapons: The weapon statistics for a falcon's talons are Init -1, Atk +2, Def +3, Dam +2. The statistics for its beak are Init 0, Atk +3, Def +1, Dam +1.

MAGIC POWERS

Human Shape MuFo 20

ABILITIES
[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th] [th][left]Specialty[/left][/th][th]Score[/th][th]Exp.[/th] [th][left]Notes[/left][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Iberian Tribunal[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Normandy Tribunal[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Provençal Tribunal[/td][td]Geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Pyrenees[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales (Latin alphabet)[/td] [td]Ritual magic[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td][td]Flying[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]Spotting prey[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]25[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td] [td]Talons[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]60[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Charm[/td][td]Looking impressive[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td] [td]Using powers[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language: Latin[/td] [td]Hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td] [td]Magi[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]Magi[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Guile[/td][td]Evading pursuit[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt[/td] [td]Game birds[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Leadership[/td] [td]Grogs[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Occitan[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: French[/td] [td]Bourgeneon[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar bond[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Organization Lore: Order of Hermes[/td] [td]House Mercere[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Lore[/td] [td]Creatures[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]Assisting in lab[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td][center]105[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Second Sight[/td] [td]Illusory disguises[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]25[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td] [td]Sneaking up on prey[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival[/td] [td]Mountains[/td][td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wilderness Sense[/td] [td]Direction[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]25[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

Also, now that I know how familiars work, I clearly would have been smarter to have spent my time as follows:

Winter 1225: Study Animal
Spring 1225: Study Animal
Summer 1225: Study Animal
Autumn 1225: Wasted time

Winter 1225: Study Animal
Spring 1225: Study Animal
Summer 1225: Study Animal
Autumn 1225: Run messages

Winter 1226: Study Muto
Spring 1226: Find Familiar
Summer 1226: Bond with Familiar 3 vis
Autumn 1226: Earn extra vis

Winter 1227: Study Corpus
Spring 1227: Study Corpus
Summer 1227: Study Corpus
Autumn 1227: Earn extra vis

Winter 1228: Study Corpus
Spring 1228: Study Corpus
Summer 1228: Study Rego
Autumn 1228: Earn extra vis

Winter 1229: Study Rego
Spring 1229: Study Rego
Summer 1229: Study Imaginem
Autumn 1229: Earn extra vis

Winter 1230: Study Leadership
Spring 1230: Study Profession (Scribe)
Summer 1230: Study Teaching
Autumn 1230: Earn extra vis

Winter 1231: Study Mentem
Spring 1231: Study Terram
Summer 1231: Study Etiquette
Autumn 1231: Earn extra vis

Winter 1232: Study Parma Magica
Spring 1232: Study Parma Magica
Summer 1232: Study Awareness
Autumn 1232: Earn extra vis

Winter 1233: Study Finesse
Spring 1233: Study Finesse
Summer 1233: Study Finesse
Autumn 1233: Earn extra vis

Winter 1234: Study Concentration
Spring 1234: Study Concentration
Summer 1234: Instill power in familair

This is just shuffling around the same activities so that I got the familiar sooner and had time for it to train a bit alongside me. I'm not sure if it's too late to change things (since it will not change my character at all, only my familiar).

DOH! I wish I had known that before…I made Sophia weaker, using Spring xp…but I started her with a Might of 15, so maybe that evens things out…

Here are a few thoughts/comments on Horus:

1. The 360 xp from being a Summer magic animal are inclusive of the abilities of the standard animal, not added on top. So you have to ‘buy’ the standard stats of the animal out of those 360.

2. The 360xp (plus your 65 extra xp) are for the creature as a magical animal before it became your familiar. So, unless there is some great background reason why, it shouldn’t have Magic Theory, Organization Lore: Order of Hermes, possibly Artes Liberales, Etiquette, Folk Ken, etc. Basically, build him with the 360xp before he ever met Lucas. Magic Theory can only be gained by Lucas teaching it to Horus, or by exposure/adventure xp (20xp per year during character creation).

3. What arts are you planning to use to bind him? The arts should be relevant to the creature in question. In the case of a falcon I would think Perdo or Intellego for Technique and Animal, Aurum or Vim for Technique. Looking at Lucas’ arts, maybe a falcon isn’t the best option. Now, if you made him a phoenix (if it’s possible to make one with a low might), you could probably argue for Creo or possibly Muto with Ignem.

Gah! That's how I did it the first time before Peregrine said to start with the animal and work from there ...

Okay, that makes sense.

I was going to argue that since the peregrine falcon is one the the most wide-spread animals in the world (found on every continent in just about every climate), it's a bird that has constantly changed to fit the environment, thus making it an extremely adaptable bird, and thus justifying Muto. :slight_smile:

I'd gone with a falcon because of its ties to the Milvi Antiquiti, of which Lucas is a member. Clearly I want a Muto familiar, since that's my best Art. But the only example they give is a butterfly, and I'm not about to take a butterfly as my familiar ...

But if I could get a Might 10 phoenix, that would be cool. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Marko?

a familiar such as that requires an adventure & story, so no.

Can't blame a guy for trying. :slight_smile:

So can I get a peregrine falcon with MuAn? I'm working on a third draft that should conform with the animal and magical animal rules.

You can find a familiar that will fit into your Arts, regardless of what it should be. Wanna Perdo Corpus Butterfly? Go for it! A Falcon is totally not Muto. Your rational is a bit thin. Sounds like Rego to me. But this falcon will be Muto. It can be a Muto Vim Falcon if you want (if those are the Arts for Binding that is)

I appreciate your indulgence. I wasn't looking forward to being the butterfly magus.

You can just call me Twilight Sparkle. :wink:

I've seen far too many of the shows my daughters watch.

So, just to confirm, WRT familiars:

1.) I start off with a beast, change it to a magical beast, then change it to a familiar, right?

2.) All Abilities need to be bought, with a minimum being the abilities a basic animal would have. All abilities must be appropriate to the animal type.

3.) Can I swap out the timing of my familiar binding, as requested above, so that I will have had more of an opportunity to train him?

4.) Future advancement must be associated with Lucas.

Dude, please tell me you are not a Bronie...

Okay, let's hope third time's a charm. :slight_smile:

I started with the falcon from the Beasts supplement.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Peregrine Falcon (basic bird)[/size]

Characteristics: Cun -1, Per +3, Pre -1, Com 0, Str -6, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +6
Virtues and Flaws: Ferocity (swooping attack), Keen Vision, Fragile Constitution
Qualities: Accomplished Flier, Fast Flier, Keen Eyesight, Pursuit Predator, Extra Natural Weapons
Personality Traits: Fierce +3
Combat:
Talons: Init +5, Attack +6, Defense +12, Damage -4
Soak: -2
Abilities: Athletics 5 (swift flight), Awareness 4 (spotting prey), Brawl 2 (talons), Hunt 4 (game birds), Survival 3 (cold climates)

[hr][/hr]
Then I altered it to be a magical beast.

[size=150]CHANGES MADE TO MAKE INTO A MAGICAL BEAST[/size]

• Change Cun to Int, and lose Ferocity
  • Swap Survival 3 (cold climates) for Survival 3 (mountainous climates) since it’s a peregrine falcon not a gyrfalcon
  • Add Magical Might of 10 –(-4) = 14
  • Add Improved Characteristics, Magical Animal, and True Friend (Lucas) Virtues
  • Add Magical Friend Flaw
  • Add Reduced Might (x4) and Susceptible to Deprivation Inferiorities
  • Add 15 Qualities (10 for Might and 5 for Inferiorities):
  1. Gift of Speech
  2. Improved Abilities
  3. Improved Attack (talons)
  4. Improved Damage (talons)
  5. Improved Defense (talons)
  6. Improved Powers
  7. Improved Soak
  8. Minor Virtue: Improved Abilities
  9. Minor Virtue: Second Sight
  10. Minor Virtue: Voice of the Air
  11. Minor Virtue: Wilderness Sense
  12. Personal Power: Human Shape
  13. Personal Power: Eyes of the Falcon (Eagle)
  14. Personal Power: Veil of Invisibility
  15. Personal Power: Wizard’s Sidestep
  • Increase Int from -1 to +2 (4 points)
  • Increase Pre from -1 to +1 (2 points)
  • Add personality trait: Merciful +2
  • Drop Athletics 5 (swift flight), Awareness 4 (spotting prey), Brawl 2 (talons), Hunt 4 (game birds), Survival 3 (cold climates)
  • Drop Accomplished Flier, since that virtue would otherwise grant Athletics 5 (flying)
  • Add 425 points of Abilities (360 for Summer creature + 50 for Improved Abilities, +15 for leftover points from Improved Powers)
  • Add languages that the familiar gets for bonding with Lucas.

This leaves us with:

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Horus[/size]

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +3, Pre +1, Com 0, Str -6, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +6
Magical Might: 10
Virtues and Flaws: Improved Characteristics (x3), Keen Vision, Magical Animal, Second Sight, True Friend (Lucas), Unaffected by the Gift, Voice of the Air, Wilderness Sense, Fragile Constitution, Magical Friend
Qualities: Fast Flier, Gift of Speech, Keen Eyesight, Improved Abilities, Improved Attack (talons), Improved Damage (talons), Improved Defense (talons), Improved Powers, Improved Soak, Minor Virtue, Personal Power (x4), Pursuit Predator, Extra Natural Weapons
Inferiorities: Reduced Might (x4), Susceptible to Deprivation
Personality Traits: Fierce +3, Loyal to Lucas +3, Merciful +2
Combat:
Talons: Init +5, Attack +10, Defense +14, Damage -1
Beak: Init +6, Atk +8, Defense +9, Damage -5
Soak: 0
Abilities: Area Lore: Iberian Tribunal 2 (geography), Area Lore: Normandy Tribunal 3 (geography), Area Lore: Provençal Tribunal 2 (geography), Area Lore: Pyrenees 1 (geography), Area Lore: Andorra 1 (geography), Athletics 5 (swift flying), Awareness 4 (spotting prey), Brawl 4 (talons), Concentration 2 (using powers), Dead Language: Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Hunt 4 (game birds), Living Language: French 5 (Bourgeneon), Living Language: Occitan 5 (Catalan), Second Sight 4 (piercing illusions), Stealth 2 (sneaking up on prey), Survival 3 (mountains), Wilderness Sense 3 (direction)

MAGIC POWERS

Human Shape MuFo 20

[table][tr][th][left]General Abilities[/left][/th] [th][left]Specialty[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Exp.[/th] [th][left]Notes[/left][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Iberian Tribunal[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Normandy Tribunal[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Provençal Tribunal[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Pyrenees[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Andorra[/td] [td]Geography[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]Swift flying[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]75[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]Spotting prey[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td][td]Talons[/td][td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td] [td]Using powers[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][tr][td]Dead Language: Latin[/td] [td]Hermetic Usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar Bonus[/td][/tr][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt[/td] [td]Game birds[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: French[/td] [td]Bourgeneon[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar Bonus[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Occitan[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]Familiar Bonus[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Second Sight[/td] [td]Piercing Illusions[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]45[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td][td]Sneaking up on prey[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival[/td] [td]Mountains[/td][td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wilderness Sense[/td] [td]Direction[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]25[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

[hr][/hr]
Hopefully I'm closing in on something that's looking like a proper familiar.

I have a ten year-old daughter and an eight year-old daughter. Like it or not, I've seen my fair share of My Little Pony.

and you love it, don't you?
:mrgreen: