Madaleen the Clothier (Grog)

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +0, Pre +0, Com +2, Str -2, Sta +0, Dex +3, Qik +0

Madaleen the Clothier

Background: Madaleen was the daughter of was the dean of the weaver's guild in Bruges. Realizing that she
could never become master in her guild, let alone dean. When she overheard a conversation about marrying
the son of a wealthy wool british merchant, she fled Bruges and the Flanders in hope of a better future
where her obvious talent would be recognized. Madaleen joined the caravan, and quickly recognized the
potential and lucrative market ofthe Magi of the Order of Hermes. Since then, she is striving to get more
hermetic clients.

Virtue: Puissant Craft, Affinity with Craft, Vernacular Education
Flaws: Driven (Become the exclusive tailor for most of the Magi in the Order of Hermes), Small Frame, Poor Student

Personalities Traits: Competitive +2, Rebellious +1, Driven +2, Loyal +1, +1 Stubborn

Athlethic 1 Running 5
Awareness 2 Alertness 15
Brawl 1 Dodging 5
Bargain (silk) 3 30
Charm 3 Nobles 30
Craft: Tailor 7+2 Expensive Robes 141
Craft: Weaver 7+2 Expensive Tapisseries 141

Dead Language: Latin 4 Hermetic Usage 50
Folk ken 1 Nobles 5
Guile 1 Nobles 5
Intrige 2 Guild intrigue 15
Leadership 2 Reprimanding apprentices15
Living Language: Flemmish 5 Merchant Lingo 75
Organisation Lore: Weaver Guild of Bruges 1 Master Graftmen 5
Organisation Lore: Order of Hermes 2 Magi 15
Swimming 1 Diving 5
Stealth 1 Hiding 5
Teaching 1 Female students 5
Living Language: Romany 1 12
Living Language: Arabic 2 Merchant Lingo 15 (+1 year)

Isn't Flemish her native language? Even Grogs get that for free.
And must be blind because I don't see her weaving or tailoring skill.

Yup you are right, forgot to add flemmish and craft skills

with affinity the 7+2 for each craft skill comes to 94 points.

Here is the detailled character generation :

Athlethic 1 Running 5
Awareness 2 Alertness 15
Brawl 1 Dodging 5
Bargain (silk) 3 30
Charm 3 Nobles 30
Dead Language: Latin 4 Hermetic Usage 50
Folk ken 1 Nobles 5
Guile 1 Nobles 5
Intrige 2 Guild intrigue 15
Leadership 2 Reprimanding apprentices15
Living Language: Flemmish 5 Clothing 75
Organisation Lore: Weaver Guild of Bruges 1 Master Graftmen 5
Organisation Lore: Order of Hermes 2 Magi 15
Swimming 1 Diving 5
Stealth 1 Hiding 5
Teaching 1 Female students 5

Early Childhood (0-5) (45 xp)

Athlethic 1 Running 5
Awareness 2 Alertness 15
Brawl 1 Dodging 5
Charm 1 Nobles 5
Folk ken 1 Nobles 5
Guile 1 Nobles 5
Living Language: Flemmish 5 exceptionnal robes 75
Swimming 1 Diving 5
Stealth 1 hiding 5

Later Life (5-25) (300 xp)

Latin (hermetic usages) 4 50 (Free from vernacular education)

Intrige (negotiation) 2 15
Charm (nobles) 3 25
Bargain (silk) 3 30
Leadership (reprimanding apprentices) 2 15
Teaching (Female students) 2 15

Organisation Lore: Weaver Guild of Bruges (Master Graftmen) 1 5
Organisation Lore: Order of Hermes (Magi) 1 5

Craft: Tailor 7+2 96.5 (144.75)
Craft: Weaver 7+2 93.5 (140)

One thing of note - while she can converse in latin with the magi, I don't think she has a language in common with anyone else in the caravan, or with locals. I don;t know if you intended that or not, but it'll make it very difficult for her to do her job. Even one or two levels in Romany or Arabic would help a lot. If you did plan that, of course, I bet this will solve itself in a few seasons.

You are right, probably 22 levels of arabic.

That's a touch higher than I was anticipating! :smiley:

If I understand correctly, this character will need to be paid by BP. As we are now 3 magus (maybe 4), I guess it would be wise to scap the magic items lab text I had as BP to make room for Grogs or Vis/Silver as needed by the troupe

I am coming up with your craft skills costing 94(+47=141) xp each for 7+2, I'm not sure why you have them listed as having different values from each other...
okay, I think I see- when I said I keep track of fractional points that did not mean I allow the expenditure of fractional points.
If we add 2(3) points to tailor this brings the total in abilities to 400,, which puts her at 25 1/3 years old...adding Arabic at 2 would simply add a full year, you need bout 10 points more to bring the character to a round year...

This character does not need to be paid for with build points... you get three grogs and they do not need to be paid for with build points. This is your first.

Ok. I assumed by fractionnal accounting that by fractionnal accounting the the affinity did not round up, which is a common house rule and to keep track of the .5. The corollary of that was that it was ok to use fractionnal number to get to an integral value of XP, which in my opinion was not unreasonable.

I added one year for arabic 2.

I removed the 4.75 xp in craft: tailor.

It should be ok now.

If this character has less than 5 xp missing, I will consider it completed.

I get an age of 26 8/15 from this sheet.

i will add 7 points in romany then and put her age at 27

okay, that finishes this character

Can Madaleen potentially become a source of income for the covenant, or is she setting up shop on her own? She's the best conventional crafter we have in the covenant, and so one of our best options for setting up an income stream.

(I'll note, this is another reason to either keep sheep or make some sort of deal with local herders. We want wool for weaving and skins for making parchment.)

Madaleen currently saves the covenant 5.5 lbs of silver a year on consumables. If she were to set up her own shop it would earn 10 lbs a year for Madaleen, and cost 1 lb to construct in addition to the building cost (presumably this would mean moving to a separate shop). This would also form a complex question in terms of why the income would be going to the covenant rather than Madaleen, who is currently employed by the covenant and provided for by the covenant which would not occur if she was setting up her own business...

That does complicate things.

I was just trying to think of what we have available that might potentially make money for the covenant. Setting up a weaving operation seemed like one possibility (i.e., the covenant fronts the startup money and gets some percentage of the take. It might start off small. But if we have Madaleen train some apprentices, it might grow.

It was just a thought...

Yeah, if we want to start a business we would need more apprentices. She can train them pretty quickly at SQ 10 (12?) all the way to level 7.

One option would be that you already have an independent apothecary setting up shop to support the eventual hospital, you could help her set up an independent store and collect taxes on it... however at that point you would probably be better off keeping her on as a hired craftsman. You could always assign her some apprentices and consider making it an industry after she graduates a couple.
Also a miscalculation- she contributes 3.72 lbs, which is the most that can be contributed by clothiers at this point
Her SQ for training would be 12, she also has a SQ of 12 for teaching one on one, 9 for 2 students and 6 for up to 5 students.