[Magi of Hermes] Got it, and Questions.

I'd also suggest, in addition to what Mark said, that a level 20 ritual spell can produce a lot of wool - for relatively little raw vis. So it's not extremely implausible to create wool in this way if wool is even slightly expensive or getting it is inconvenient for some reason, in most sagas (depending on how plentiful raw vis is).

He's the only one I had a chance to read so far, and I was impressed. I have a question though, it's often mentioned about the need to keep the spells active until they reach their duration, and the problems that causes (plus the attention to detail regarding the Animal equipment so no requisities were needed). There were a few spells though that allowed him to cancel them any time he wanted by using a magical focus. I didn't see how that was done, where is the source for that ability?

Cancelling transformation spells by removing the focus is inherent in the MuCo(An) magic known by the Order. For example see Cloak of Black Feathers.

Question on Hugh of Flambeau

Hugh has two spells, "Assume the Stature of the Giants of Eld" (MuCo 10 Individual), and the related "Turb of Giants" (MuCo25 - Group).

Both list requisites of Animal, Herbam & Terram to change the target's equipment. However, this only adds a +1 to the final level of the spell for complexity.

Is it me, or does this seem a little generous? Aren't there precedents for multiple-Muto spells like this?

Personally, I think a +1 for each req is more in line. But maybe I'm just grumpy becuase it's 5:45 AM and I can't sleep.

-DC

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that one could either create a MuCo(An) spell that requires a focus, but can then be cancelled at will by removing it, or a MuCo(An) spell that doesn't, but could no more be cancelled than normal hermetic magic

It looks like that by writing a character whose name starts with "A" Timothy ensured that his chapter is going to get the most scrutiny. He's probably used to it by now. :slight_smile:

The last page of the Muto Corpus guidelines text box in the Core:

So accidental!

Thanks! :smiley:
I remembered as such, but wasn't sure, and could have been wrong.
I like very much this possibility :smiley:

I picked up my copy today. Looks great. Can't wait to dive into this one. Well done all.

Thank you! Glad you liked it. If there are any questions on Aurulentus left, I'd be happy to answer them (as far as I am able, of course).

I am a bit jealous that you can all see the artist's impression of Aurulentus and I can't (yet)... :slight_smile:

Thank you! Glad you liked it. If there are any questions on Aurulentus left, I'd be happy to answer them (as far as I am able, of course).

I am a bit jealous that you can all see the artist's impression of Aurulentus and I can't (yet)... :slight_smile:

Looking at Fortress of Oak (pg 39) which is Cr(Mu) with a duration of momentary, I wondered about the limits of specific techniques and how they get represented when utilized as requisites. In this case, the target of a momentary Muto spell should 'revert' to natural form after a moment. Fortress of Oak's write up implies that using muto as a requisite creates no such problem for the resultant spell. I couldn't find a reference to this concept in the core rules one way or another. I haven't checked the cannon spell list for similar spells for a 'ruling by implication'.

Any ideas?

These are written as casting requisites rather than typical requisites. I think that they're OK as casting requisites a little generous perhaps but I like it better than the alternatives.

(my copies came today Glee!)

I really like how Maris' enchanted cloak -Foul Weather's Bane- has an enchantment in it Comfort the Weary Traveler which uses the same guideline in the same way as Ranulf's spell Coat of Prometheus and the spells are just a tiny bit different, as if Ranullf's spell learnt during a Flambeau apprenticeship is a few degrees warmer than Maris' more practical protective item.

That's good color for the game.

Just FYI, I went to my LFGS today. I have to say that my state of "I hate everybody that already has the book because I don't" has not changed. To confort me they had (FINALLY!!!) the Tales of Mythic Europe, ROP:F and A&A, so I have more than enough reading for the next weeks. YAY!

Still, that does not prevent me hating you all :wink:

CHeers,
Xavi

You got Tales of Mythic Europe? Good man!

I think that the actual tree part comes from the creo aspect of the spell, the wood is really created, the muto aspect of the spell make the wood unnaturally shaped as it is being created. The question then (in my opinion) is is the final oaken fortress a natural thing that does not need to be sustained by magic? It's a preposterously large tree with a building carved out of it. Wow that's a border case. I'd say yes it's a natural thing because of the "rule of cool", and "don't say no to the players without good reason", but I can see some validity to the "no it's not natural" camp as well.

Thanks Erik.

Your answer is to the specifics of the spell, and I think I'm in total agreement that its a border case. More importantly (because of implications for general spellcraft) I think it implies an answer to the more general question about requisites and art limits. By implication in your answer, I gather that you believe that the limits of Muto apply to a spell that only uses Muto as a requisite. I think this is an important question because as far as I can detect, the cannon rules never actually address this.

I think that in order to have something become permanent from a momentary creo ritual it must the sort of thing that can survive without magic supporting it. This is my one criteria and the presence or absence of requisites in the ritual doesn't come into the question (not directly anyway).

That's my opinion, which is probably worth the paper that it's printed on (unless you actually print it out).