magi-paper

What sort of newspaper would magi use besides the redcaps to distribute non-magic related imporant information?

There were no newspaper, considering the vast majority of europe could not read back then (and thus not make newspaper, even amongst reading magi, worthwhile).

Not to mention that by the time the 'newspaper' would reach you, it'd probably be outdated (since a redcap charges to so much as get a wizard's war declaration out on time).

Now, if you're running an anachronicstic saga, then, I dunno...

Veneficus Mensis?

The House Bonisagus folios are the closest analogue to any sort of written periodical that magi might have.

The problem is that writing surfaces aren't cheap and sturdy enough. Without wood pulp paper, you have too-flimsy linen paper and papyrus, or too expensive parchment (also too heavy rock, and wax tablets, which are obviously not optimal for this purpose).

Regular visits by Redcaps may provide an oral analogue to the newspaper, with all the usual gossip, etc.

For the sagas I storyguide, at the beginning of every session, I have an "executive summary" of the covenant prepared by three NPCs, presumably speaking to the council of magi:

1. the autocrat, who speaks about the covenant's finances, how the local agriculture is doing, and potential mundane political threats;
  2. the turb leader, who keeps stock of the weapons, the mundane defenses, and provides more in-detail information about potential military threats, such as (in England) movements of Welsh forces under Llellwyllyn likely to affect the covenant.
  3. the chief mundane library-keeper or scribe, who reminds the covenant about their vis stocks, what's in the library, and any books that are on offer from mundane (and sometimes magical, if there's a solicitation via redcap) sources.

This reads sort of like a newspaper, helps everyone get re-acquainted with the game if we've had trouble getting a session together for a while, and may serve your needs.

If you just want to know how the magi get acquainted with the outside world, I'd say via redcap and whatever mundane intelligence gathering they do (which could be as simple as having the smarter covenfolk pay attention to what goes on in the nearby towns, or as complicated as having regular correspondence between the covenant and local lords/clergy as to issues of mutual import).

Salvete Sodales,

Covenant mentions pamphlets that sometimes magi distribute to promote some issues. So there is something like a medieval election campaigns ...

I think that's the closest thing to a newspaper :slight_smile:

Widewitt

Actually news-"papers" where common - they were just in oral form. Travellers (like redcaps) would keep you in touch with current affairs (at some delay offcourse).

I say "Why not?"

1. The theory that "nobody can read" doesn't hold true with the Hermetic populace...
  2. Wood or stone would work just fine. Magi could enchant a {stone} to shrink, or simply could remove the weight.
    As for strength, magic could enhance that...
    ---Or you could make a magical bag that reduces the weight of its contents, and the Redcaps would not have any problems ( :blush: ... :unamused: )

Your game, you decide.
:slight_smile:

How many covenants ARE there in europe?

A covenant could just have a few wizards to each take a season, in turn, to teleport to 'nearby' every covenant, all season long!
These magi could deliver ALL sorts of crap (like usps/fedex) and charge a fee for the use!

Maybe each covenenant could offer Vis to pay for the service...

:laughing:

The number of covenants seems to be quite high, given that there are well over a thousand magi, plus hundreds of Redcaps, and that the sample covenants regularly referred to have between 4-6 magi each.

One would assume that the domus magnae have higher populations, as would Mercer houses and Tremere mustering points. But covenants primarily of vendetta-prone Veriditus, wilderness-lovin' Bjornaer, or particularly hedgy Ex Miscellanea might be even smaller.

The main problem with a written newspaper is that they lack a printing system. Each paper would have to be written by hand... Imagine that each would count as a tractus on Order of Hermes Lore.
If you'd like to spend a season writing it, and find someone to copy it... Well, go right ahead. Most magi wouldn't consider it valuable enough to bother buying - seeing as most of this information would be available orally...