Magic devices to boost a character...

It's probably worth it for every magus to invent this spell at the highest level possible for himself. He can then work cooperatively with a casting wizard, and any spells that would cause warping due to their high magnitude effect could be cast without that effect.

1 Like

What about scaling issues? If someone invents a stat boosting spell that affects a group of say 100 people, isn't it designed to not warp the magus and one other target (target for this spell being said group of 100 people)? Wouldn't a MuVi spell then be able to be tailored to modify the target to a different one (another group of 100 people)?

If you use the superficial change spell guideline for modifying who a spell doesn't warp, the equation can be exploited recursively, as a spell that modifies the warping parameters of a spell that modifies the warping parameters of a spell can be a lower level spell. So a level 50 MuVi spell with Voice/Sun/Ind parameters will modify a level 70 Ritual, a level 40 to modify the 50 and finally a level 35 to modify the 40. Once you have the initial set of MuVi spells to change the warping parameters, wouldn't you only need to re-invent the level 35 MuVi spell(with the benefit of a Lab Text) to tailor for a new group, provided you can muster sufficient magi to cooperatively cast them?

Given that stat-boosting Rituals can scale up to 100 people for a +4 max Ritual or 1000 people for a +3 max Ritual at level 70, with a cost of 14 pawns of vis per ritual, couldn't House Tremere and/or the Theban Tribunal marshal the necessary resources to be awash in a horde of people of all types with really good statistics and no Warping? Send 10 people with 2 pawns of vis (and one token in Thebes) someplace for a season and a bit and get back 10 people each with up to +14 added to their stats for the 1000 person rituals (depending on what scores they started with and what stats were raised) and no Warping for any of the participants.

Uh? If a spell affects a person, and a MuVi effect affects the spell, the MuVi effect never warps the person, since its target is the spell, not the person.

Well, the issues here are, I think, two very different ones. Neither has to do with MuVi tailoring.

The first is: can you "specifically and carefully" design a spell for a group of targets, so that all of them incur "reduced warping"?

The second is: how "gamebreaking" is the fact that you can multiply the effect of a "permanent" Creo Ritual a thousandfold simply by adding three magnitudes?

I think you could design a MuVi spell to alter a spell to make it work as if it were cast by a person chosen at the time the MuVi spell was invented. But not for any person chosen on the spot. Much like you cannot create a generic Longevity Ritual for any one person. That requires the presence of the person during the creation of the ritual, and tailoring spells to individuals probably requires the same level of precision.

So Magus A could create a MuVi spell to alter any spell so that it would act as if cast by Magus A. He could alter a spell cast by Magus B so that it did not cause warping due to powerful effect on Magus A. He'd have to invent another spell to do this for spells cast by anyone to not warp Magus B.

Not the point of what I was trying to say. I was trying to point out that the nature of the equation for the superficial change MuVi guideline, unlike the significant change one can be "exploited" so that the spell that needs to be re-invented to change warping parameters can have the Lab Total required to generate a new version reduced. The specifically tailored level 35 spell modifies the level 40 spell that modifies the level 50 spell that modifies the up to level 70 ritual that generates the warping. Once the initial spells are invented, the re-invents to change the tailored target for warping purposes only need to be level 35. With the Lab text and various bonuses available, that should make a re-invent take a single season for even a middling magus.

They don't necessarily have anything to do with MuVi tailoring directly, but ...

... I submit that the ability to prevent upwards of 14,000 Warping points as part of the concerted House or Tribunal stat boosting program mentioned upthread by re-inventing a single level 35 MuVi spell might have an impact on the setting. Without the use of the superficial MuVi guideline for warp tailoring, it's not as possible or as cheap.

As to the specific points -

This is one of those hairsplitting RAW interpretation issues, IMO. The text on page 168 says "The spell has its effect on anyone, but only the designated target, and the caster, do not suffer Warping unless the
effect is also continuous." - the key is "designated target" - it doesn't say "designated individual" or "designated person" and if the target of the spell is a group of 100 people, then the designated "target" should probably be a specific group of 100 people.

The problem is not the thousand-fold multiplication in and of itself. As shown above, it's the synergistic effects that may be an issue, not the individual pieces.

I wouldn't allow a MuVi spell to be able to make a spell be tailored to more than one individual simultaneously.

Ultimately your troupe needs to determine what limitations (if any) are involved here. There's always the possibility of stacking MuVi effects. A MuVi spell to significantly change the MuVi spell that changes the target ritual, for instance. Though at this point there's a degree of SG-eyebrow-raising going on.

Ah, perhaps I see what you are saying here.
Ritual A is cast on target T.
MuVi spell B affects spell A, "tailoring" it. But B is designed to tailor a spell to U, not to T.
Then MuVi spell C is then cast on spell B. The effect of C is to change any "tailoring" spell, so that it tailors to T.

If this is the scenario you are envisioning, then note that spell B uses the "superficial change" guideline, because it does not change the primary effect of the spell it affects. But spell C uses the "significant change" guideline, because it does change the primary effect of the spell it affects (from "Effect: tailor this spell to ?" to "Effect: tailor this spell to T"), albeit within the same TeFo. I would have no objections against it, but note that it is not the most effective way to go at "tailoring" Ritual A.

If I'm not interpreting correctly what you are saying, perhaps you should explicitly state the effect of each of the spells you are talking about, individually.

1 Like

I don't think you should just look at the total of warping points in this case.
You are envisioning a scenario where a House casts massive Rituals (level 70) on a large group of people (1000 people) no less than 14 times to permanently, magically enhance them -- for a cost close to two queens of vis. This is by itself a "Transforming Mythic Europe" scenario, regardless of whether the Rituals are (or can be) designed to avoid warping those people (the fact that those people get 14 warping points as part of the deal or not is really a minor detail), and certainly regardless of whether such warping-avoidance can be effected through a MuVi effect rather than through redesign of the Rituals.

What I'm trying to say is that the ability to spell-paint a wall blue isn't setting-changing, and that while a scenario where the Order magically raises a million castles all over Mythic Europe and then spell-paints them blue may be setting-changing, it does not make the spell-painting in itself setting-changing.

1 Like

Of course, if you have sufficient penetration built into the device, such a device would be useful in preventing acclimation for a magical character

Sure, one could certainly do this, but then one also need to have a lab big enough to accommodate 100 people while you work. I take the view that if you personalize a spell to an individual other than yourself that person needs to be present while it is invented, like a longevity ritual. In the single case the scale doesn't matter, and the person for whom the spell is tailored can do something like read a book, or probably practice something at the same time, without interfering with the magus's work. I have a lot of difficulty accepting that a magus is willing to put up with 100 others in his lab.

Depends on the magus' leadership score. :slight_smile:

Does that mean you believe that it's impossible to personalize a spell to a structure? Say I want to invent a protective spell of some kind that will effect the main covenant building (castle, manor, what have you), without slowly Warping the building each time it's used. Would that be impossible because the building wouldn't fit in the lab? That seems an arbitrary limitation to read into the rules.

I can see your point, but to be honest, I don't pay much mind to warping beyond people. Warping of things, while I think it exists requires far too much bookkeeping to monitor and what benefit does it serve? While the rules says affected by a high level effect, I also don't take it to mean that someone who gets hit with a BoAF, manages to soak the damage also gets a point of warping in addition to whatever wound is inflicted. I typically only apply warping in cases where the Form matches the underlying recipients. Corpus spells warp people. Animal spells warp animals. Terram spells warp terram stuff, but I don't really track it much because I don't think it adds all that much. Now say this is happen for 20 years, I might model some kind of warping effect, or backtrack the warping, but on a seasonal/annual basis, I'm not too concerned.

BoAF shouldn't warp anyway because target/Target. Some perdo corpus spells would, though - in addition to the wounds. Obviously if the PeCo outright kills, the warping is probably irrelevant.

For items, hand-waving this is usually the best approach. If something has been around magic a lot, giving it some flaws can be fun. From stubborn carts to dangerous libraries to happy lamps - lots of options for interesting background colour or even story moments.

mariojpcsimon.blogspot.com/2015/ ... itius.html One automatic and enchanted armour can grant some interestings effects.

Any chance of an English translation? My spanish is really bad and google translate is less than helpful.

Basically...
If we think than one Enchanted armour must be at least of Superior Qualitiy to be enchanted without penalty, one enchanted armour then it's one +8 Protection, which is a good armour. After that, the enchantments (the easier way to enchant is that it'll be opening the plate or the scale or chain mail shirt, scale in this case), that with our full armour in mind must be the funcioning. I put in this ReTe effect to make this hindered maga capable on the action, but since I was using ReT 3 for that, the effective Strength is +5, just like the Unseen Porter. After taht I've made one MuTe effect to make lighter the armour, based upon the Edge of the razor, to halve his Load. After that, we can see the Shape and Materual bonuses, since this one is one full armour contains helmet, gauntlets and boots; which are components than we can use to make more efects. I've made the Helmet with his own Vision and Tact, without Penetration.

In our current game I play a Verditius mage that uses an armor enchanted with MuCo(An) spells that enhance most of his characteristics by partially transforming his body parts in that of several animals. I'm not really sure if we fucked the rules too much because we play 4th Ed, but the line of reasoning was the following: if a MuCo(An) spell that turns man into animal also changes all his characteristics to those of the animal, you can get partial results with partial transformations. I've tried to translate those effects to 5th Ed to see how would they fare.

Thus, there's a set of spells that give him owl eyes, bat ears and hound nose. Each spell gives him the same perception as those animals in rolls that involve sight, hearing and smell, plus night vision, echolocation and tracking skills. Another spell turns his body halfway into a bear's, giving him a boost in strenght, stamina and size. Panther's legs give him a boost to Quickness and also perfect balance. And so on. I know that there's need to adjust many parameters since raising some usually imply lowering others, but in the end that doesn't matter that much as long as you look for the proper creature to transform into. The spells also include the idea of resizing some parts so that they are proportionally correct and functional.

Of course the dude ends looking rather ugly. I added spells that give him bat wings and lizard tail so that he can fly and swim, and the idea is that the end result is that he turns into some sort of chimeric gargoyle, then he uses another spell to make himself look less like an ugly Frankenstein's monster and more like a beautifully deadly supernatural creature.

I know that this concept seems more proper for a druid, shapeshifter or naturistic character, but I liked the idea of a Verditius that focused on creating a "power armor" using animals as method. I do like to play weird and absurd characters, lol.

That is fine, but dependly on the grade of the change, the spell wouldn't be base 4, would be base 10 or greater, to grant more of parts of differents beasts or creatures, but with O: Part,