Magican Senses in Items

So, my Bjornaer is going to learn Sensory Magic, a Bjornaer Mystery. To do this, I need to enchant a figurine of my character's heartbeast with taste, touch, smell, hearing and sight. But how do I do this? I just can't get my head around how I make an object have senses. Any thoughts? Is it enough to just enchant it with an effect that has these ranges?

E.

Let's see, we have "Use one sense at a distance" InIm 1, which doesn't appear to necessarily use sense targets (q.v. Prying Eyes), and "Enhance one sense" InIm 3 which typically does. There is also InMe 15 to share one sense (q.v. familiars).

I am a bit torn as to whether to consider granting a sense easier (probably down to level 2) or harder (certainly no more than 5) than enhancing it, and whether to require constant effects (InIm 3 -> 9, 14, 19, 24, 29 for 11 pawns, MT 6 (or 4 at MT*3)), maintained concentration (9, 10, 15, 20, 25 for 9 pawns, MT 5 (or 3)) or just the minimum you can get away with (3,4,5,10,15 for 6, MT 3 (or 2)).

Depends on how difficult and time consuming you want the initiation to be... it's "only" a minor mystery. Compare with the others.

I made the figurine like this. What do you think? The final level for each effect is the number before each description.

Otter Figurine of the Watery Senses

10: Touch reveals the natural properties of a liquid (InAq, Base 3, +2 Sun, +1 Touch, Constant Effect)

10: Taste if the liquid is poisonous (InAq, Base 4, +2 Sun, Constant Effect)

14: Smell if water is nearby (InAq, Base 2, +2 Sun, +2 Smell, Constant Effect)

14: Hear normally under water (InAq, Base 1, +2 Sun, +3 Hearing, Constant Effect)

19: Sight is unaffected by water (InAq, Base 1, +2 Sun, +4 Vision, Constant Effect)

13: Transmit senses to the person touching the figurine (CrMe, Base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, Linked Trigger)

The last effect wasn't really needed for the item to have senses, as this just transmits the senses to the person holding the item. I used CrMe 4 (create thoughts in a mind) as base. The other effects are constantly active (2 uses per day, Sun duration and Linked trigger).

E.

The first two should add up to level 14. That aside, if I were your mystagogue, I'd say it certainly is good enough. That last effect is a nice touch. :slight_smile:

Hmm.. Actually, the Hearing and Sight spells may not be sufficient to grant a sense. :confused: You'll need level 2 to sense water within hearing/sight range (yes, that sucks). :angry:

Oh yeah, forgot about that :slight_smile:

E.

Hmm... yes, I agree on that.

E.