Magus concepts (cunningrat1)

I have no problem with this.

Nor do I. Actually, that works really well -- if I take Faerie Friend, I can drop Stockade Parma Magica, which is the only one of her flaws that's not there for story/background reasons.

(Placeholder)

Brahan the Boar, Leandra's familiar (pre-binding).
Size 0 Magic Might 10 (Animal)

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre -2, Com -2, Str +3, Sta +3, Dex +1, Qik +1.

Virtues: Magic Animal, Ways of the Wood, Berserk, Improved Characteristics, Self-Confident, Tough.
Flaws: Wrathful, Fury, Restricted Power, Lecherous.

Magic Qualities: Ritual Power, Gift of Speech, Improved Soak, Improved Attack, Improved Defense x2, Improved Damage x2, Personal Power x3,
Magic Inferiorities: Temporary Might.

Powers:
Grant Minor Virtue: Enduring Constitution (5 points, Qik -9, Vim).
This power is Restricted and interacts with Temporary Might. In order to grant this Virtue, even temporarily, the boar has to take a Heavy wound by allowing the target to cut a piece of meat off his body. The meat is cooked and eaten to bestow the Virtue: the wound cannot be healed, naturally or otherwise, until the Virtue is withdrawn and the Might points return. If the Virtue is granted permanently, the wound will never heal.
Human Shape (0 points, Init -1, Corpus) (MuAn(Co) 20, Personal Power, 5 points spent to reduce Might cost to 0).
Bigger Than You Think (0 points, init +2, Animal) (Personal version of Beast of Outlandish size (MuAn 10), 5 points spent to reduce Might cost to 0, 10 points spent on Init +2).
Tougher Than You Think (0 points, Init +2, Animal) (Personal version of Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (MuAn 10), 5 points spent to reduce Might Cost to 0, 10 points spent on Init +2).

Abilities: Athletics 4 (running), Awareness 5 (truffles), Brawl 5 (Tusks), Survival 5 (woods), Area Lore: Ardennes Forest 3, Swim 1 (swamp), French 4 (gutter slang).

Combat stats: will be calculated when/if needed, because my head hurts and I'm messing up basic math. :stuck_out_tongue:

Serf's Parma. What's the name of the Paris covenant from L&L?

Eboris
It's not a standard covenant, though. It's essentially Archmagus Mathieus and a Redcap.

Eboris (pp. 84-87 or so).

I thought it was Mathieus, a Redcap and a small crowd of unnamed loser Jerbiton? The something Shillings?

The sweated schillings is the phrase you're looking for. Losers probably isn't the best word. They are young Jerbiton magi, probably no more than a couple of years past gauntlet. They get into trouble and then bravely run away, leaving Mathieus to clean up the mess. Of course, I'm sure Mathieus has tons of favors he can collect from these magi down the line. I think the only magi of record for the covenant are Mathieus and the Redcap. The covenant is probably a convenient fiction (or so I've always believed it to be so) to allow Mathieus to have a bit of political control over the area. And since it's a city, no one in the Tribunal really cares to challenge that. There is also an eremite in Paris, King of Beggars.

Working on Leandra's background, which necessitated a somewhat major reshuffling of stats.
Here she is right out of apprenticeship.

Leandra macMhuirich
Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre +3, Com +3, Str -2, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik -2
Size: -1
Age: 29 (29), Height: 5'1"', Weight: 120 lbs, Gender: Female
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood [Physical Quirk: Silver hair], Muse, Minor Magical Focus (Fertility), Inventive Genius, Puissant Magic Theory, Second Sight*, Hermetic Magus, Educated*, Improved Characteristics, Performance Magic (Profession: Poet), Subtle Magic
Flaws: Necessary Condition (Must recite poetry), Slow Caster, Weak Parens, Infamous Master, Driven (Prove herself to House Jerbiton through magical accomplishment), Small Frame

Reputations: Just A Pretty Face (Among magi) 3
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -2, Attack -- , Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: -2, Attack +2, Defense +0, Damage -2
Kick: Init: -3, Attack +2, Defense -1, Damage +1
Soak: +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1-4), 3 (5-8), 5 (9-12), Incapacitated (13-16), Dead (17+)

Abilities: Gaelic 5 (Irish Gaelic), Second Sight 1 (faeries), Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Artes Liberales 2 (rhetoric), Philosophiae 2 (ritual magic), Faerie Lore 1 (High Court types), Magic Lore 1 (Scottish myth), Parma Magica 1 (Mentem), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (Jerbiton), Area Lore: Hebrides 1, Awareness 1 (alertness), Brawl 2 (Dodge), Folk Ken 2 (the opposite sex), Poet 3 (recitation), Medicine 2 (physician), Magic Theory 4+2 (Corpus), Norman French 2 (Parisian slang).

Arts: Cr 7, In 4, Mu 4, Pe 4, Re 4, An 5, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 7, He 6, Ig 0, Im 4, Me 2, Te 0, Vi 5

Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:

The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (CrCo 20) +20
Gentle Touch of the Purified Body (CrCo 20) +20
Disguise of the Transformed Image (MuIm 15) +9
Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) +10
Panic of the Elephant's Mouse (ReAn 15) +10

Then I'll see what I can come up with, now that my Jordan/Sanderson-induced hiatus is over. :slight_smile:

Leandra grew up in the macMhuirich clan, a small band of Irish expatriate bards who settled in the Hebrides because the clan head killed someone in Ireland he shouldn't have. "In the clan" is entirely too appropriate a term. Her father was seduced by a Leanan Sidhe, producing a truly incredible amount of poetry within just a few years and dying quite young. Leandra was born 7 months after his death... and a year later, her mother fell afoul of the very same Leanan Sidhe. So from the age of 4 or so, Leandra had been raised by the entire clan -- aunts and uncles and cousins.
Life in the Hebrides is hard: there isn't a lot of resources to spare for extra mouths. So when a passing nobleman (from France of all places) noticed Leandra and offered a handsome sum for her to be "fostered" with him, the clan was overjoyed to accept.

Sevin of Jerbiton wasn't a real nobleman, of course, and the fosterage was half apprenticeship and half... well, something else entirely. (Come on, do I really have to spell it out?) He took her back to his home covenant of Eboris, and began her training... in magic as well as other things.
The 'other things' portion of the program came to an end in several years, once Leandra grew too old to be attractive to Sevin anymore. I did mention he was a great fan of youth, did I not? So, he transferred his attentions elsewhere. Leandra did not care overmuch. The excitement of a "first love affair", tawdry to begin with, faded before a much greater one -- the excitement of bending the universe to her will, the soaring joy of figuring out the laws of magic and in what new and innovative ways they can be applied. She was good at it, too.
Sevin had started slacking on her training, so she began going to other Jerbiton in the covenant, hat in hand, offering to trade lab assistance for a season of training. That worked indifferently at best, and she began to grow tired of being treated like a pariah. However, while assisting Mayana of Jerbiton, a Viticulturalist, in the lab Leandra discovered (to her surprise) that she was very good with concepts involving fertility. She understood them on an almost intuitive level, and had no trouble coming up with inventive, innovative ways to apply them.
When Leandra's apprenticeship period was close to done, Sevin (true to form) messed up once again. His newest 'passion' was both far too young and from a prominent mundane family, so a shitstorm of truly monumental proportions blew up. Sevin decided to leave Eboris one step ahead of a lynch mob.
Leandra caught up to him as he was about to slip out the covenant gate, and demanded to know why he wasn't taking her along. Shorting her training was one thing, but this was beyond the pale. Sevin's response was something along the lines of "Oh. Well... I release you. You pass, you're now a Maga, here's how you do Parma Magica, congratulations and I've got to run, byeeeeee!"

As graduation ceremonies go, this was underwhelming.

Leandra stayed at Eboris for several more years. To her surprise, the treatment she received from the other Jerbiton did not improve much despite her change in status. That was when her plan to prove herself to the House, which started out as injured apprentice mutterings of "I'll show them! I'll show them all!" crystallized and took final shape.

Looking at what was going to be required, she fairly quickly realized that the resources needed would be VERY hard to obtain in the vis-starved Normandy tribunal. She needed to get out of the Tribunal entirely. So, she packed her bags and said goodbye to Eboris, journeying to Oculus Septentrionalis in the Greater Alps tribunal.

The journey was interesting. She met Brachan the Boar near the Forest of Ardennes -- he'd been displaced by the expanding Dominion, and was slowly starving in the absence of a magical aura. She offered to bind him as her familiar, and he accepted.

Oculus Septentrionalis itself was a disappointment. She was welcome to stay for a bit, of course, but the Jerbiton dominating the council did not want her around on a permanent basis. Besides, the via situation in the Greater Alps wasn't much better than in Normandy. She needed a thinly-settled border Tribunal.

Why not Loch Leglean?

Accordingly, she stayed at Oculus just long enough to bind Brachan, send out a few letters to Loch Leglean inquiring about places in covenants, and do some lab work while she waited for the answers. She took ship for Insula Canaria as soon as the letter about them came back.

(Peregrine, if you want to yoink Maximianus of Bonisagus from the Bibracte saga, we can say that she stopped over at Nigrasaxa for a bit. Maximianus would be someone she'd be very interested in corresponding with, considering their projects intersect.)

(I'll come up with finalized stats once I get home.)

For some reason, the line "Oh. Well... I release you. You pass, you're now a Maga, here's how you do Parma Magica, congratulations and I've got to run, byeeeeee!" reminded me of the Wizard of Oz. :smiley:

And Maximianus is pseudo-canonical (he's from Heirs to Merlin, so he's fair game :smiley:

Actually,the quote that kept running through my mind while I was writing Sevin was from Dorothy Sayers' "Strong Poison". In the words of Lord Peter: "If only that young man were alive today, how dearly I should like to kick his bottom for him."

Leandra macMhuirich
Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre +3, Com +3, Str -2, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik -2
Size: -1
Age: 36 (36), Height: 5'1'', Weight: 120 lbs, Gender: Female
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood [Physical Quirk: Silver hair], Muse, Minor Magical Focus (Fertility), Inventive Genius, Puissant Magic Theory, Second Sight*, Hermetic Magus, Educated (50/50)*, Improved Characteristics, Performance Magic (Profession: Poet), Subtle Magic
Flaws: Necessary Condition (Must recite poetry), Slow Caster, Weak Parens, Infamous Master, Driven (Prove herself to House Jerbiton through magical accomplishment), Small Frame
Reputations: Just A Pretty Face (Among magi) 3
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -2, Attack -- , Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: -2, Attack +2, Defense +0, Damage 2
Kick: Init: -3, Attack +2, Defense -1, Damage +1
Soak: +3
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1-4), 3 (5-8), 5 (9-12), Incapacitated (13-16), Dead (17+)

Abilities: Gaelic 5 (Irish Gaelic), Second Sight 1 (faeries), Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Artes Liberales 2 (rhetoric), Philosophiae 2 (ritual magic), Faerie Lore 1 (High Court types), Magic Lore 1 (Scottish myth), Parma Magica 2 (Mentem), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (Jerbiton), Area Lore: Hebrides 2, Awareness 1 (alertness), Brawl 2 (Dodge), Folk Ken 2 (the opposite sex), Poet 3 (recitation), Medicine 2 (physician), Magic Theory 5+2 (Corpus), Finesse 2 (precision), Concentration 1 (studying), Penetration 1 (Herbam).

Arts: Cr 11, In 5, Mu 6, Pe 6, Re 6, An 5, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 10, He 6, Ig 1, Im 4, Me 2, Te 1, Vi 5

Notable Equipment:
Lab text for The Rabbit-Doe's Gift, prepared as a gift for her new covenant.

Spells Known:
The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (CrCo 20) +27
Piercing Shaft of Wood (Mu(Re)He 10) +13
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +11
The Bountiful Feast (CrHe 35) +29
Gentle Touch of the Purified Body (CrCo 20) +27
Disguise of the Transformed Image (MuIm 15) +11
Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) +11
Panic of the Elephant's Mouse (ReAn 15) +12
The Rabbit-Doe's Gift (CrCo 20) +32 (Touch/Ring/Ind): gives the target a +6 to childbearing rolls.

Familiar: Brachan the Boar
(see stats)
Cord Scores: Gold +2, Silver +1, Bronze +2
No bond enhancements as of yet.

Per house rule, there aren't any Casting Tablets in this saga. Sorry.

Men. Just a lab text then. No big.

Also: no Concentration, Finesse, or Penetration? And I'm showing you as five points short on Childhood Abilities.

• snarls at self * Will fix.

Also, if dumping from MetaCreator to an RTF file do a find and replace on - with a -. For some reason, the minus (-) doesn't copy and paste correctly.

And Concentration isn't a big deal for this character if the D:Conc spells are being done with Performance Magic, since no concentration roll is needed.

And the covenant does have a copy of The Bountiful Feast.