Major vs Minor Magical Focus

Last Flight of the Phoenix CrIg50, Wizard's Grimoire p. 85.
(That's the original, 3rd edition WG, not sure if it was in the WGRE)

You wouldnt allow it despite it being part of the core rulebook?

Wards are special not because they protect, but because they protect the Target of a spell from thing(s) not Targeted by the spell. Bending the Law of Arcane conection but not the nature of Rego magic.

Other then wards preventing Thing 1 from hurting Thing 2 usually requires a spell cast on Thing 1. (Or possibly a Cat in a Hat)

A muto spell (or perdo) could make Thing 1 not harmful in general. Say a spell that makes a sword soft or a fire cold.

A Rego spell specifically cast on Thing 1 can stop it from interacting with Thing 2 in a harmful way without changing it's nature. The Target of the spell is still harmful it just can't touch, burn, be inhaled by, or think dirty thoughts about some other thing be cause it is being controlled/stopped by the spell. It's not very efficient spell wise, compared to wards, but it can be done.

Reason for edit:Re-Enabled spell check.

One thinking...
One limit beetwen Major and Minor Focus is the fact of work direct Damage or control on any living/magical being.
The typical example is the Nercromancy Corpus/Mentem or both. The Mentem works better to see ghosts, but Corpus works well to create or control Walking deads, and the Major take the better of both.
In that sense, little and relatively little things are good to Minor Focus cause other reason: All they have a great number of Requisites (castings and on the formula), and then, the magi don't get a great bonus, if not a quick to invent spells or easy way to spellcast, but no so high Penetration. An Focus on Arms and Armour works only to create and affect arms and armour, agains on Major Focus on Metal, that works to mani things more: create chains to restrain, to create or transform things on stairs and a great etc...
To me is fine. Major Focus on battle works more for example, take the arms and armour and so on soldiers, and make easy spells that work like an army, maybe included the warmachines and their effects (launch rocks, etc)

Yep. There is so many things in the core books which are not respecting the fondamental rules (of magic, especially).

Really? Aside from the fact that I believe Rego=Protection is pretty much a fundamental premise of the system, I just can't agree that there are "so many" cases where the core rules contradict themselves. Sure there are problems, mistakes, and the occasional fudging, particularly as supplements add to the complexity of the system, but for what it accomplishes I can't think of a system that is as flexible and consistent as ArM5.

Like everyone there are rules I don't like (and change), and some I probably don't get, but most exceptions to the Laws of Magic are explained or explainable. I think the places where the Magic occasionally acts counterintuitively add color to the setting and even a certain amount of realism. After all the real laws of nature are often counter-intuitive.

Except in this case i think you´re wrong.

The Rego isnt protecting the target, its keeping the fire from hurting the target. So fire is created, and the Rego req. keeps it from doing nasty things in the wrong direction. The spell is NOT a ward.

Well yes. I don't know why I thought about this ^^.

In fact that's fine.

And what do people think about

?