Makarion's Magus / Maga discussion thread

I know! Note, how it's 0, with a +2 Puissant Ability bonus. I realize it's currently useless, but it's a nice growth-option as well as a potential story hook.

Gotcha. As long as we treat as a lore skill with a score of 0 and not 2, I'm fine with it. The score of 0 in the lore skill means it can't be used to help assist in a Twilight episode...

Yup, that's what I understood the rules to be. I'm not after cheese, just a good story :slight_smile: .

Errr no. Actually, no.

What I wanted was... Well, there is this ReVi guideline about storing spells, used for Watching Ward. And I wanted instead to use it to enchant an item (seasonnal activity) so that it may hold a spell.
The problem was that, as such, given how the rules work, they had numerous implications that I didn't want (such as, in fact, the ability to give one-off spells to grogs).
So I proposed HR designed to make these impossible... And it all went to hell :laughing: I was probably not clear enough, so people focused on the potential problems I had brought forth, thinking I wanted to do the exact things I didn't want to do, which derailled the entire thing.

For the record, here it is

As you can see, the misconception still holds :unamused:

As I recall (which is probably wrong, since I have a tendency sometimes to gloss over discussions about what other characters are doing unless I can see a relevance to mine), the situation was something along the lines of "I have an idea for some cool stuff that my character can do with enchanting items to hold spells. Now, I know that under the rules as written, I would be able to do this, that, and the other with this enchantment, but you have my word that I'm not going to."

Now, if this is correct, my problem with that is, although you've agreed not to abuse the rules to do what you could do with the enchantment, there's nothing preventing someone else down the road from coming in and doing it. That, and I really paid no attention to the Ranulf thread (not having Magi of Hermes, and unlikely to get it any time soon), or the Munchkin from Hell thread for that matter.

But, since I don't have Magi of Hermes (and thus, the rule that invalidates the ""hermetic magic currently lacks a way of binding a watching effect and a spell together without a separate ritual, Watching ward, which requires vis" clause, I'm going to go ahead and say that it would require the ritual Watching Ward, and thus can't be enchanted into an item.

Preparing spells in advanced to be used by someone (or something) else using Tethered Magic, however.

Wrong again :wink:
I proposed to add this HR specifically to adress the problems I described:

Sigh... :laughing:

You've actually got it backwards.
MoH introduced the rule you're quoting, it didn't invalidate it.

Currently listening to Seth - Les Blessures de l'Âme.