Marco Polo et. all

The fellow was born mid-13th century, after all, and many times before his journey, people went to the Far East. (Vegetable lamb, anyone?)

What information about the Mysterious Orient has been published for Ars in the past? Will there be anything in the future? Already I've got troupe members talking about joining an expedition.

If not, medieval accounts, especially the mythical ones, would be handy.

Vegetable lamb was North African, but I get your point, yes.

Leaving aside the future, which I don't know about, there's been very little on the East past the Arabic lands (which were in "Blood and Sand".) If you read Jerbion's journals one way, then two other embassies were sent out by his mistress and may have vanished along the Silk Road.

There is a Japanese magus in Stonehenge, canonically, butthere is no detail.

You want...hrrm..."The Book of Roger" is meant to be out in English and day now. It's a geogrpahy made for the King of Sicily by an Arabic dude in the 1100s. The Book of Roger is fun for a second reason: it's canonically extant (that is, it is mentioned in a 5th edition book) and it contains a crew who sail west across the ocean and must retreat when they find land and their ship is surrounded by the canoes of men with red skin. Which is to say, for those of you who want your Mythic America back, it's a great little bit of work.

Oh, I did some HP articles on Chinese magic. THey need some work for play, but they are good for some basics.

Are you sure it isn't Central Asian? Vegetable Lamb of Tartary (and Scythia) I've always heard it described.

The Book of Roger sounds great, thanks. And here I thought accusations of Zheng He finding the Americas was the earliest prior to native settlement. (Though 'red people with canoes' could readily be Polynesians, I s'pose.)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Zhenghemap.jpg
I'm tempted to use this faked map...
(Mmm, just poking around online gives me ideas. That silver disk the King of Sicily had... Who's in the process of translating the Book? Or publishing said version.)

Which volumes of Herme's Portal were those?

As per Jarkman's handily compiled contents list:

atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ ... ntents.pdf

Issues 10 & 11, available for free download here from the publisher:

pagesperso-orange.fr/styren/herm ... ermes1.htm

Enjoy,

Lachie / Jarkman

I am too harsh in saying it is North African, but it is where it is first described. It is in Herodotus as the Barbary Lamb, and appears in the Bodely Bestiary under that name, as I recall. Distressingly when I Google it I find that Durenmar is the first site. 8)

There's a gold one out there too, somewhere, made by Augustus.

There was a partial translation made in 1960:
S. Maqbul Ahmad as Al-Sharif al-Idrisi: India and the Neighbouring Territories

I was thinking of another book when I said it was being prepared. It's a think by Alphonso the Wise about gemstones I'm looking forward to.

Buwahaha
Hey... in the Mythic World, who says it hasn't been transplanted by wind, animal, or even mankind's efforts? ;D A bush that produces lambs is a handy thing!

What's in the gemstone book that's handy, or was that for another thing entirely?

Oh, it's this other thing on the mystical properties of gemstones, the Lapidary written by Alphonso the Wise. It's for this other thing. Basically in 1221 a boy is born who goes on to rule Castille and make a bid for the Holy Roman Emporership. He writes a book on astral magic and on stone magic, and he's Lord of Castille, so you can sort of see a Hermetic plot here. Who is behind it may be hinted at in his other books, like the Book of Games.

I've sometimes considered his kingdom as a really fun and useful setting for an Ars game - far more fun, IMO, than the Reconquista. THrow in colonising the Americans and you might have a Hermetic Renaissance.

The Book of Games, to come back to A&A for a moment, contains hundreds of variants of chess, one of which has four players, each representing a humour, with the pieces painted red, green, black and yellow.