Mission: Improbable

Before I close out the adventure for the main group, I have to ask whether anyone's got vis on them to use those casting tablets while on the ship.

Vibria doesn't, but she's going to watching Ludwig like a hawk, waiting for Ludwig to cough up that gem, so to speak.

Ludwig's with Carmen, and they're about to take a jaunt through the Magic Realm that will probably take up the whole of the season. I forgot that when I mentioned the "flurry of German," sorry.

Dammit! And he's got my gem! (thinks Vibria)

((By the way, what wound level is Vibria's fingerthingie?))

Personally I can't imagine a lost finger being more than a Light Wound.

That's what I'm thinking, too.

Vibria asks Esteban if he is better able to heal (at least temporarily) her wound than she is. If so, she will let him.

Vibria can spont a spell that will keep the wound from getting worse for Moon duration - effectively, a variant of Bind Wound. (Base 3, "Prevent all a target's wounds from getting worse," R: Personal, D: Moon +3, T: Individual, for a Target Level of 10; her CT would be Sta 2 + Cr 10 + Co 5 + Andorra's Aura 5 = 22 + die roll, halved.)

Murciélago! You followed me, eh? Well, let us see where these sheep lead us and get this magic wool home :wink:
I am a good flyer Rory. Concentrating is not that difficult, and if I forget to keep it up, my talisman catches me so that my descent is slow and soft. That gives me plenty of time to cast the spell again, which I have mastered. I can also fly with fairly decent grace and precision. I could always be better, but I can keep up with you if you are patient with me :smiley:
CrAu30 Wings of Soaring Wind: Mastery 2 (Imperturbable, Precise); base casting score = 41, Finesse 3 (Auram), Concentration 3 (spells), base speed 40 knots

The sea voyage back to Crintera takes a bit longer than it did with a weather witch aboard, but everyone (other than Carmen and Ludwig) can still make it back to Andorra through the Redcap Network without it impacting seasonal activities.

[hr][/hr]
Carmen spends the season travelling through the Magic Realm, going through the gorgeous sky-castles of Alfheim (which she soon discovers is the home of Norse elves). Eventually they cross into Asgard, where the sky-castles are bigger and awesomer, and there are giants and gods and demigods. And finally, after stopping for a week long drinking contest against Heimdall, you guys cross Bifrost back to the mundane world.... mundane Sweden, to be precise. But with Ludwig a crow and able to turn Carmen into a hawk, and the two of you having three air elementals of various power along for the ride, the trip across Europe takes no time, and they make it to Andorra at the beginning of summer.

[hr][/hr]
Vibria, Carmen, and Bernhard all get 10 adventure xp and 5 Confidence points. Arachne and Esteban each receive 6 xp and 3 Confidence.

Carmen and Ludwig lose their season travelling through the Magic Realm, but Carmen accumulates 10 pawns of vis and Ludwig accumulates 5 (she's driving, he's just along for the ride), to be spent on virtues/flaws however they see fit.

[hr][/hr]
When Carmen arrives in Andorra, she has with her three air elementals that produce "wool" made of pure Auram. To harvest it, a sheep must be hit with a bolt of lightning, causing the wool to stand up on end; it can then be sheared off in long, easily woven strands. When woven, the cloth can be enchanted as though it were two steps higher on the materials chart (base 3); it is incredibly durable, flame-retardent, weighs nothing, always looks like it's billowing in a dramatic breeze, and makes your hair blow around dramatically, too. Alternately to making it into cloth, the wool may be harvested as Auram vis, one pawn per sheep per season. (10 pawns worth of cloth is enough to make a single outfit.)

Not so fat! I allotted the 5cp (I recall spending 2 somewhere, so I edited 8 to 11). Not sure where to place the xp yet.
And no point of reference to decide how to best choose a new Minor Virtue. And you are gonaa handwave a trip to Asguard? No way I am letting you off that easy!
And is this the Faerie Realm, Magic Realm, or Faerie Magic Realm? :laughing:
Carmen has some familiarity with the Norse. She spent time in Ultima Thule (long story I have made reference to many times), and can stop for hospitality along the way maybe :slight_smile:
And she is not in the mood to be turned into a hawk. She can keep flying on her own.
No as for Asguard...

Pure Magic Realm. As for the Minor Virtue, good choices would be... Deft Auram, Lesser Immunity to Asphyxiation, Magic Sensitivity, or Unaging. Or Personal Vis Source would be really thematic, where Carmen grows a few silver hairs that turn out to be pawns of Auram :slight_smile:

The hawk-shape would be of use once you're back in the mundane world. (People flying around in the sky draw unwanted attention to themselves.)

Without a way to cauterize Vibria's wound, Bernhard will be forced to pull the artery out of the stump and tie it off. Once that's done, the wound can be wrapped and the blood will congeal soon enough.

Vulcanus is overjoyed to see his pater's bow, and then confused at the presence of the dryad, but he seems to forget all that when he sees Vibria's stump. "You... you took a wound. For me." He tears up (manly tears, of course). "I'll heal this immediately, I just have to find a casting tablet for sale..."

...And of course, those casting tablets were yet another trap. They ARE casting tablets, but the rituals they enact are not the spells written on them in neatly legible Latin. Oh no.

As soon as Vulcanus is done casting the spell, an image of Caduceus pops up. "Well well well, Anselm. It seems your curiosity got the best of you, and you just couldn't resist taking a peek at my cache of silver bars," his silky voice murmurs. "You weren't looking for 'The Severed Limb Made Whole,' were you? I'm afraid you're just going to have to learn how to fight left-handed now. I'll be curious to observe your popularity among the fairer sex, now that you have lady parts in addition to your man bits." Caduceus' image smiles sinisterly. "It had to be a Creo Corpus effect, of course, or you might have realized that you were casting the wrong spell, and interrupted it. If I hadn't given you a little credit for intelligence, you would have just given yourself leprosy; you can thank me later. But for now... enjoy your new life as... whatever kind of freak you are." The illusion vanishes.

Meanwhile, having been the target of the mis-labelled casting tablet intended for a desperate one-handed Vulcanus, Vibria realizes that (while she is still missing a finger), she is the proud (?) new owner of anime ta-ta's :laughing:

...That's right, my friends. The entire adventure has all been just an elaborate set-up for a single punchline...

THE WHOLE THING WAS A BOOBY-TRAP.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

groan

:mrgreen:

((They're not tears, they're liquid pride. And I've had this whole scene in my head for when Vibria presents Vulcanus his bow, didn't expect this whole epilogue thing. I'll post it when I get home tonight. But, it basically starts off with Vibria telling the others that she would like give Vulcanus the bow, as she wants to talk to him anyway.))

groan

And, yeah, Vibria's gone from a C to a double-D.

Followed by Bernhard rolling his eyes, walking away, and muttering Guess I'm sleeping in the damn workshop again... in German.

I think that caused me actual, physical pain. :unamused:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!!!

Lest we forget, there are loose ends still needing to be tied up.

• We should reattach Vibria's finger, for realz this time
  • Both the carpet and the pen were spotted, but neither was acquired. Can Caduceus' involvement be proven without evidence? If the pen was truly a gift to Gemma from a third party, then how did Caduceus get the carpet?

I'm forgetting other things too.

Vibria approaches Vulcanus's chambers and knocks firmly on the door. [color=red]"May I come in?" she asks when the door is opened.

[color=red]"We were successful in retrieving your pater's bow," she says as she hands it to him (with her bad hand). [color=red]"I hope it's still salvageable."

Vibria waves her hand dismissively. [color=red]"And I would do it again, a hundred times over," she smiles.

[color=red]"Do you have a few minutes, sodalis? I...need to talk to you about some things I found there.

"I met Gemma there, and spoke with her briefly, and saw Caduceus" Vibria says rather nervously. [color=red]"Is there any chance...did you and she...were you... Tell me about her, Vulcanus, please... and about you." (Vibria uses the plural form of you, here.)

Vulc's face hardens. "I loved her from the moment I laid eyes on her. Any man would. My friends told me not to hire her, that my attraction for her was clouding my judgement, but she genuinely was the best person for the job. She is a really good venditor, you know." He frowns, and his eyes glitter like ice. "We both have hot tempers, and when we fought, we both said nasty, hurtful things to each other. And we fought a lot. But for the most part, things were good. She is the most amazing woman I've ever known... she's smart, funny, stunningly beautiful, an astonishingly skilled lover..." He gets a distant look in his eyes. "But she was not loyal. One day she told me she was going to work for someone else. I thought, maybe it was for the best, maybe she was doing so because she was trying to help us both keep our professional lives... well, professional. But then I found out she was going to work for him." Vulc spits in disgust. "I asked her if it was true, and she confirmed it readily. Didn't even have the grace to be ashamed of valuing his wealth over our love, that greedy, treacherous bitch."

He stands abruptly. "I need to be alone."

Vibria nods. [color=red]"I understand.," she says, her eyes glistening. [color=red]"I happened to see her son, briefly. He's a beautiful baby. Has hair like spun gold," she continues with a catch in her voice as she looks him in the eyes. [color=red]"and the most incredible blue eyes, just like his father."

She swallows. [color=red]"I'll leave you alone. I'll be around if you want to talk about..." She turns and practically flies from the room, dashing back to her own chambers where she throws herself on her bed and soaks her pillow with her tears.

Vulc scowls at the thought of Caduceus' icy blue eyes, wonders whether Vibria thought that wimpy little pissant is good-looking, decides it is beneath him to care what anyone else thinks of a man with lady-hands, and scowls some more. All those things playing very plainly across his face :slight_smile:

My God, Vibria thinks, the bitch was right! You truly are clueless!

Vibria turns to leave, but stops at the door and looks back at Vulcanus as she starts to cry. She opens her mouth to say something, but changes her mind, throws open the door and runs.