Moonlight in Giza (Winter 1235)

Selim nods as he takes a sip of the wine himself, "Ah yes, quite good. A flavor I have never tasted myself." He then chuckles softly, "And no, I am not from the west...in fact I am from lands quite east of here, Arabia to be exact. And while I have traveled far, my journeys have never brought me here. And you magus, where are you from?"

(it occurs to me that I have not provided a good description for Selim...he is an extremely handsome man of swarthy complexion and obvious Arabic features to those that would recognize them. His eyes are a piercing, perhaps supernaturally, sky bule color. He wears traditional Bedouin attire; a white cotton tob, a striped kibr over it, and a dark brown aba covering both while his head is covered by the traditional kufeya headdress held in place by a red igal circling it.)

"Horus and I come from up in Normandy," Lucas replies. "In Burgundy, near to Champagne. I've been stationed at Cunfin Covenant since I was an apprentice, though as a Mercere I've done a fair bit of traveling as well. But I've never made it this far east - or south. It's really quite amazing down here. I want to see it all, but I know we're here for business and not pleasure."

"I understand you've traveled quite extensively yourself, even down the Silk Road. That must have been quite exciting."

[hr][/hr]
D'oh! East and west. I always manage to goof up on that. (Not that I don't know east from west. But I somehow always manage to post it wrong.) There's a GM on another site who's constantly teasing me (not without reason) for the way I always manage to always swap those two directions.

Oh, and Lucas has blonde hair and blue eyes with a relatively pale complexion. He tends toward robes of blue and grey of a fairly normal cut. No obvious distinguishing features.

"Horus?" he says as he raises an eyebrow, and then notices the bird. He the turns to Horus and smiles, "It is a pleasure to meet you as well," he says using Animal Ken.

He then turns back to Lucas, "Normandy? That is in Europe, yes? I'm sorry, I am still learning your lands. Mercere, that is one of your magi families, yes? There is obviously still much I must learn about your kind. As for the Silk Road, yes I have traveled it many times and have seen grand, and sometimes quite terrifying, sites along the way. Things are quite different in the East, and I feel we will never quite understand those that live there. But that of course makes the journey more interesting, yes?"

"And it's a pleasure to meet you," Horus replies. "It's always nice to meet someone who doesn't run screaming when I talk to them." He cocks his head to the side, a sort of hawkish smile. "And it's nice to be in Egypt where my name comes from. I'd love to see an old temple to the original Horus while I'm here - just out of curiosity."

"And I should dearly love to see Alexandria some day," Lucas adds. "The Library is long gone, I know. But just to see where it stood and to walk the roads that lead to it would be a treat." The magus' eyes get a slightly faraway look before he brings himself back to answer Selim's question.

"Yes," he replies. "It's in Western Europe, not that far north of Andorra. In fact, some of my traveling took me quite close to Andorra, though I'd never been there before presenting my petition for membership. I traveled to Catalan for House Mercere, and was even fortunate enough to pick up the language. That's one of the reasons I was chosen to come to Andorra. Of course it didn't hurt that I was just about the only Gifted Mercere magus willing and able to move either." He smiles. "My house has relatively few magi with the Gift," he explains. "Though we have many Redcap magi, of course."

"I'm eager to hear more about the East, though I won't bother you about that tonight. I suppose I'm no different than many in my house, predisposed to wanderlust and curiosity. That's another reason I came to Andorra - well, Sa Dragonera, really, as it turns out. I'd been cooped up in a monastery for twenty-five years. I was ready to spread my wings and see somewhere else."

Roberto shrugs his shoulders and gets on with his work. "[color=red]Hey, if you guys wanna help me out while you are sharing philosophy, why don't you each grab a crate and hand it up to Ximo over there"

"Of course," Bashir says, grabbing a crate. "A little hard work never hurt anyone. And the more help you have, the sooner it will be completed."

Adan begins to feel the crates for one he can lift without risking injury as he continues. "I have come across some interesting histories in my studies, one thing I am unclear of though, the name Allah, how did it come to be chosen or used as the Islamic word for the Lord?"

"I'm afraid the answer is simpler and less interesting than you might hope," Bashir replies as he moves a crate. "In Arabic, the word 'ilāh' means 'god,' from the days of ignorance when men worshiped many false gods. The syllable al-' is used in Arabic as an article to refer to something. In this case, it means 'the one.' So we say 'al-ilāh,' or Allah, for 'the One God.' It's as simple as that" The moor smiles and bows his head. "If you truly wish to understand Islam, you should read the Koran in its original Arabic. I suspect that might answer many of your questions. It's one reason that I have desired to learn Greek or Hebrew or even Aramaic some day - that I might read your bible in its original language. The vulgate bible is a fine translation, I understand. But I have to wonder what is said in the original versions - the Talmud of the Jews and the original gospels."

[hr][/hr]
Please bear with me with respect to my knowledge if Islam. I have twelve years of Catholic education (four of them with Jesuits) to give me a solid background on Christianity, but virtually nothing to help me with Islam. :slight_smile:

Then I can take the kid-gloves off then :mrgreen:
I have no official theological training. Just going to church as a kid and informal bible study of the sort that is typical in Midwest suburbia. But I have keen intellect and divine inspiration. Just like Roberto :smiley:

[tab][/tab]It's all the same, no matter the language. In other languages they say God or gods, Deity or deities, and such. And no matter the language, the gospels are clear. Four eyewitnesses to events holy and divine, testifying to the fact that Jesus is Christ, died for our sins, and was raised up on the third day.
[tab][/tab]But if you want specifics, I quote you this. Less jibber jabber and more working will get us finished faster so we can go in and join the party confident we are ready to sail at dawn.
Dawnish.
Before noon.
:smiley:

"So it does not relate to Enlil of Babylon or the Allah of Aramatheia of which I have read?"

• note- while there is a word Allah in Aramaic, whose connection to the Arabic word Allah is debated, there is no Allah of Aramatheia. Enlil is a Sumerian, not a Babylonian deity- Adan... stretches his theories of religion beyond what he actually knows....

"Not to the best of my knowledge," Bashir replies as he continues to move crates.

"Hmm, it does seem odd..." Adan moves crates as best he can as he continues his conversation with himself.

You guys finish helping Roberto in short order. Latter, as you reflect on this, it strikes you as odd that this magus acts like a grog. To dress as a warrior and train in the arts of war, that is not at all uncommon. But Roberto seems more like an infantry grunt than the knightly sort, and out of habit he participates in labor.

So now it is time to join the casting off party :smiley:
Good food, good drink, music, storytelling, arm wrestling competitions, and more.

Antoni

Wait, this guy is a magus? Ah, yes, that's it, the fire-tossing one. I mean, the other one. I had forgotten it, I thought he was one of you guys.
Well, that's great, he's really a fine and dashing guy, you need a friend like this to fend of the other ones. Also makes nice support when fighting demons and griffins.

I can do a lot more than just "toss fire" :laughing:. Granted, Ignem is a core part of my magic and I know a decent selection of "fire spells". But I have since moved on to other interests and tactics.
Here, sweetheart (calling out to one of the serving girls). Bring a couple of mugs of that Hierbas for me and my friends here. Antonio is it? You were in on that wyrm kill earlier this year. I envy you. I have yet to even meet a dragon! I have taken down demons and jinn, more than several rogue wizards, and I one got a sea serpent. That one is a fond memory, for my heroism won the heart of my lady love :smiley:. But most of my fights have been against other men, with sword and shield. Magic to enhance combat prowess, that has been my main interest as of late.
Man, am I hungry. Is there any of that fish stew left?
I want to thank you guys for helping me load the last of the supplies. I know, we have laborers and porters. I just wanted to personally inspect and check that we have everything, and I noticed these clods forgot a half-dozen important items. We needed salt, extra rope, half the medical supplies were forgotten, and stuff like that.
And as a result I missed supper. Crap.
Attention everyone! I have in my hand one gold dinar, and I will give it to the first person that fills this board with food!
("bord"is an old fashioned expression for table, meaning that he wants a full feast set before him. Gold dinars are used as currency throughout Iberia, especially in Andalusia where they are minted, but also collected by the North in tribute and put into circulation. One gold dinar is worth roughly sixteen silver pieces ("Mythic Pennies").
Food is brought in short order. First comes some fruit and bread and reheated fish stew. Then some kind of roast beast, fruit, more bread, cheese, rice, more bread, and such. I do believe that gathered with Roberto at the table we have Antoni, Adan, Lucas, Selim, and Bashir. Carlos is off somewhere putting the moves on some local girl, and Cidito the cat is passed out drunk somewhere.

(Selim is there as well)

Selim looks up from a bite of roast beef, "Ah, the food and drink is good my friends. Thank you for hosting us so graciously Magus Roberto. I look forward to traveling to the lands of the pharoahs and see the great pyramid."

"Indeed," Lucas says, raising his cup. "Thank you for a fine send off. It's hard to imagine that soon we shall be such far-off lands, seeing such sights as I have not seen before."

(fixed it :smiley:)

[tab][/tab]Oh, this isn't a special send off. They do this all the time, two or three times a week. Ibicencans just like to party. Never before have I encountered a Muslim community that is so dearly enamored with alcohol. Technically, though, this stuff isn't wine. I have met many Muslims that like wine, and they make the best wine, but wine is distinctly against the laws in the Koran. I think. Beer and this herb beverage are technically okay. They also have these strange hers the like to burn for incense, the vapor has an intoxicating effect. And stay away from the hashish. Imports from the Levant have been limited and restricted since the king took over last year. But they make their own.
[tab][/tab]As for culture and religion, these people have their own unique spirituality. Mainly, they align with whomever holds the big stick. Their ancestors were Christian, before that various forms of pagan. Most call themselves Muslim nowadays, but they are quick to convert in order to save their skins. A lot of town over in Mallorca did that. They saw the fundamentalists being driven out and deported, so they were quick to take up the cross and claim they were cryptic Christians the whole time. They guys here, they will flip back and forth just as redilly. But if questioned without intimidation and they feel free to speak, these guys will readily admit that they feel that the true Divine God supercedes these petty divisions, and will forgive them for converting back and forth to save their skins, for they say God loves both faiths.
[tab][/tab]But now, as for Egypt. I must warn that the Muslims you will meet there are more hard core than what you are used to in Iberia. Maye less in some ways though. They are not as fundamentalist as the Almohades, but those guys follow their own form of Islam that is isolated from the education and philosophy of the Levantine Saracens.
[tab][/tab]Is Saracen a bad word to you guys? I apologize if it is. I just don't like repeating the same word over and over again.
[tab][/tab]Still, in my opinion, Egyptian Muslims are more conservative that European Muslims. They almost have to be. They are competing with Coptic Orthodox Christians and clandestine pagan cults. The people there had mastered civilization long before pagan Arabs encountered Mohommed, ages before Christ the Redeemer walked the land, and they predate even Greece and Rome.
There was once a library there, in Alexandria. I have heard different stories of what happened to it. Cesar burned it, a Coptic Pope burned it, the caliph in Syria ordered it burned, an earthquake caused the fire, and some say that all of these have happened. It is said that the caliph was quoted "If those books are in agreement with the Quran, we have no need of them; and if these are opposed to the Quran, destroy them". Not sure if that is true though. It doesn't sound consistent with what I know of Arabic scholarship and their love of ancient texts. I actually think most of those writings were preserved in Andalusia and Constantinople.
[tab][/tab]There is also a story that an earthquake caused some of that building to slide into the sea. Maybe we can check that out while we are there. My girlfriend is the ruler of a sunken city nearby. Princess Soteria of Heracleion, daughter of Triton and granddaughter of Neptune.
[tab][/tab]What else should I warn you about? I was only there once, and I was sort of too busy to take in the sites. A few of my grogs spent some time in Cairo before I was able to rescue them. Allen, Albert, and Wen. We had docked in Cairo, the group split up to carry out orders establishing a base of operations for our expedition. Then we were attacked at the dock by enemy sorcerers. My good sword was ruined when I ran an efreet through and it melted. My friend Pedro,...(crosses self) My dear old friend was killed in that battle. I had known him and Carlos for over half my life. With his last reath, Pedro gave me the sword he just made and said "Kill them with Kindness", the name he gave the weapon. (This is an embellishment. Pedro was already dead and Roberto had the sword named and engraved at a latter date). Our ship was burned, but then my man Joan cam flying out of the sea with a small ship he was now able to said over and under the water. We evacuated from there as best we could, raced off to the covenant of Pyramids. I caught up with Leolinus halfway between Gixa and the City of Brass. That is where the villain was headed. Put him down like the dog he is. i would have loved to press on to the City of Brass, but I had crew in Cairo that needed rescuing and a mission to accomplish. Wen and Allen were hiding out working in a bar catering to European merchants. Alert was hiding out in the slums. Grabbed then, then had to break two more guys out of jail, and then delivered the Alabaster Lioness Casket to Valnastium.
[tab][/tab]It was a grand adventure, but not without a heavy price.
[tab][/tab]But now, this mission is not supposed to be an adventure at all. We are a diplomatic envoy. If it turns into an adventure, then something has gone wrong. But then again, always expect the unexpected.

Bashir nods when Roberto speaks of the Egyptian Muslims. "I have heard the same," he says. "But if we run into trouble, I shall try and assure them that though you be Christians, you are no enemy to Islam." He bows his head and again touches two fingers of his right hand to heart, lips, and brow.

[hr][/hr]
When Lucas hears of mention of the Great Library, his attention to Roberto's words redoubles. "I have heard many tales of the Great Library as well," he replies. "Of what it was like, and what caused its destruction. Will our journey take us near Alexandria? I know the Library is long gone. But to even see where it once stood would be something I should remember forever."