Most popular spells

Fair, but do you need more than one? You don't add your mastery to the speed, do you? Come to think of it, that would be a very neat mastery option, but if it canon it did not make it through my serf's parma.

You can defend yourself in most situations with one or two well-chosen spells, but it can be nice to have some options.

There is a spell-mastery option that improves your fast-casting speed. Quick Casting, HoH:S p34.

2 Likes

I meant need more than one in score. If a higher score can make you faster, I would certainly throw it in with the penetration and multi-cast motivations.

So defensive spells could benefit from quick casting, imperturbable casting, and maybe disguised casting if you don't want people to notice you are "armoring up" for a potential fight. That's three levels...

@loke @silveroak

Actually, those spells you want to cast quickly, you also want Quick Casting, but it only adds +1 to the Quickness + Finesse roll to determine the Initiative, each time you take it, so that can drive the Mastery Score some

1 Like

I think the combat spells Mighty Torrent of Water, Clenching Grasp of the Crushed Heart, Pilum of Fire, Ball of Abyssal Flame and Wizard's Icy Grip are all excellent candidates. When you need to use one of these spells, you want to reduce the risk of botching. If you think you'll be targeting mundanes, then it's Fast-Cast and Multiple Spell. If you're a hoplite, think Penetration and Magic Resistance.

Others could be a Rego crafting spells. There's a Verditius in Tales of Power who has ReTe spells to create swords and armor. Having Spell Mastery, could use the Precise specialization, making it easier to hit Finesse EFs.

Speaking of DEO, would a mastery book for a holy version of the spell be usable for a non-holy magus?
I mean obliterating demons is something everyone can agree on, right? Or if they have to be separate texts would the holy magus with the holy version of the spell be able to write a mastery text for a regular magus using the prideful version?

Not quite clear what the rules are for mastery, but most likely there will be the same penalties as for other texts on magic when mixing holy/non-holy readers/writers.

2 Likes