Mundane Coin Interference

The legal authority may well consider improving / enriching their minted coinage a violation of their rights and a crime, but a mage may or may not care.

It doesn't seem like a Hermetic crime, in and of itself, to fraudulently act as a mint in the way you describe. But it is a mundane crime; a serious one.

And while a magus might not care about mundane justice, if he commits major mundane crimes (and is detected doing so) then he will have to care about it (one way or another) when the king's men show up at the covenant seeking his head for treason. Other magi have no special reason to care about that, but they will care if the king's men show up at the wrong covenant seeking heads.

Either way, it's all about getting caught, or not.

The exact same scheme, only reversed, could be the source of income for another covenant. In short, they undetectably debase coins by skimming off a little silver on each coin they can get their hands on. Might make for an interesting story if the Mercere realize it...

Just a thought. :smiling_imp:

Harvest of a Single Grain
ReTe, Level 10
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
Separates a single grain of silver from a silver object. There are 20-30 grains in a silver penny and 240-360 in a shilling. With a Muto requisite the coin is slightly remelded to show no pockmark.
ReTe Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 dirt to metal)

As I read the Individual target size, and Individual mass of silver coins should be about 65 pounds worth, in both weight and value - at first I thought this would only apply to a single coin (inefficient), but there are plenty of spells that affect masses of sand or pebbles. If it can harvest grains from a large number of coins, I'd add a level for complexity.

1 Like