Muto Corpus guidelines seem incredibly sparse

If you wish to be completely pedantic about it: it doesn't say leaves the circle. It says "moves outside the circle." Once the target took a single step, they'd be "moving outside the circle".

EDIT - I suppose technically, if you wanted to keep your interpretation, you could have a ind/circle enchantment on an inanimate object, such as a block of stone. As long as it didn't move (according to Aristotilean physics), the effect would continue. But I'm not sure how long that would last: even the dirt settling underneath it would technically count as it moving, even if it were too slow to perceive.

And your second statement is correct. Circle/Ring enchantments are cheap ways of making one-shot, long-term magic items. Which is one of the issues people tend to have with them. One of the solutions discovered fairly recently here on the board is that constant, non-ritual, non-device effects cause warp in the surrounding environment (It's described in the Covenents book, in the lab section) - as such, you can use that as a limiter on how long your saga's Circle/Ring enchantments run.

In this case it wouldn't need to use the covenants based rule- simply being under a magical effect for over a year causes warping.
Then again if you are constantly running around with wings on your back you are, from a medieval perspective, pretty warped already.
Also the rule in covenants states either warping or a reduction in safety.
Though in another way to read it rings would need to be laid on the ground, as every example indicates, for example "a band laid into the ground" as opposed to simply a band...

So by way of explanation of why I started this thread and care about Muto Corpus, I'm trying to make a character focused on self transformation, mostly because it is something different.

Looking at the base two guideline, grant minor ability, used in the spell eyes of the cat, it seems to me to effectively be granting a minor virtue level ability. I'm wondering what level it would be to grant a major virtue, like Giant Blooded. I'm also interested in granting abilities that are unnatural, but still solely within the realm of corpus, like dexterous elven fingers, or freakishly strong muscles and bones.

I feel like it wouldn't overpower the art to have guidelines that would give temporary unnatural bonuses to stats, probably at lower levels than the Creo Corpus guidelines for raising stats. Here I'm thinking of using the Soak bonus guidelines as the example. It isn't natural for humans to have thick leathery skin that grants a soak bonus, but it doesn't require a requisite either. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have a guideline in the 25-30 range that gave +5 strength.

Thoughts?

Giant Blood, no, but giant sized is simply the spell Preternatural Growth and Shrinking with a +1 size increment, and you're Size 2.

The reason why CrCo grants stat increases because within the Mythic Paradigm, Creo makes something better. It's pretty apparent that increasing a stat is making something better. Trying to have two sets of guidelines is inadvisable.

There is also some degree of granting that can come with form. Guidelines exist in many places regarding making a human larger, generally increasing strength and stamina and decreasing dex. It is in the guidelines for giant humans rather than the guidelines for MuCo. Similarly there are guidelines for animals should you decide to grant their claws, hooves, teeth or whatever to a person.

Let me ask a different question then. What do people think you can do with Muto Corpus without requisites? I seem to be getting basically just the things listed in the core: change size, appearance, and make your skin thick. I suppose maybe adding extra limbs? Creo shouldn't let you get unnaturally high stats, so can you use Muto to give a small person the strength to throw a boulder? I guess to me it just seems like a really arbitrary division, and that if you can increase soak with Muto there really ought to be other similar guidelines.

It's a problem - Muto mostly requires requisites. I can see you changing physical characteristics, althoigh I'll be tempted to enforce side effects, and will probably require a Ritual for +5 or even +4. I can also see gou elongating your body, sprouting more arms, making yourself super flexible, and so on.

Still, far more can be achieved with requisites.

Magi of Hermes has a guideline for this.
The thing is that Muto tend to turn A into B, which requires requisites if A and B aren't part of the same Form.

D: Until

All of those should be possible, I suppose.

don't forget gender changing, or facial features. You can literally become someone else...

And make the target bigger or smaller.

So if I want to swing a sword with unnatural strength (and perhaps unnatural dexterity), do people think that is possible? I know I can get to +6 strength with a combo of creo corpus and a muto corpus size increase (more with further size increases I suppose). If I want to be hitting people with the strength of a proverbial freight train is that possible?

Yes, certainly. Realm of Power: Magic details giants. If I recall correctly each increase in size is a +2 strength increase and a -1 Quickness decrease for each level of size. However, this might not apply to Hermetic Magic increases in size. I'm away from my books right now, or at least away from easily pulling them up on my phone. But such increases in size don't have a cap on strength. There are other effective limits on the size of individuals, though.

Indeed. My compromise was to add +1 magnitude per size change and +1 further magnitude per having it increase the Strength. Oh, and to have enough magnitudes devoted to increasing the size of the target for the spell to affect the final size of the "giant", rather than just the size of the pre-magnified target.

That makes increasing size somewhat more difficult.

Yair

Well, you could probably just require requisites to account for the increased size of the wearer's clothing. And possibly weapons, although then you have added the problem of the weapon penetrating as it is clearly under a hermetic effect. I think getting too large is hard enough with just factoring in casting requisites for equipment, or the fact that you'll have to be naked. :smiley:

Two ideas that popped up tonight:

Is turning someone into a gigantic pile of steaming bullshit MuCo with a Terram requisite? It's more insulting than turning them into some other things.

Can you use MuCo(Vi) to turn into a magical spirit by turning your corporeal form into magical energy?

BS is clearly a processed animal product. :laughing: So it must MuCo(An).

Isn't that the purpose of the Great Elixir? And for that reason, I'd say no, unless it was under that Mystery guideline/spell, and it is also a ritual.

Temporarily, sure, just like you can turn into mist. Just use MuCo base 30: "Turn a human into an insubstantial object."

However, you wouldn't have any might or powers, you'd just become "akin to a spirit", invisible and intangible. Arguably, though, you'd be repelled by Aegides and Wards*.

Transforming "for real" to a magical spirit would be something quite different, akin to Ascension to the Hall of Heroes.

• Unless your saga rules that Aegides dispell magical effects, in which case you'd return to human form when trying to cross one.

Why not allow this as well? Hermetic magic cannot change your essential nature so you can't really change into a Magical spirit, but why can't you don the "mantle" of one just as you can don the form of a wolf?

I'd say - use that MuCo B30 guideline, but make it a Ritual spell, and the Might cannot exceed raw vis x 5 invested in the spell's casting. Unlike a real Magical spirit, your Might Pool never regenerates, and you still can be affected by Corpus as that's your underlying essential nature. Your powers would be highly limited, requiring Form requisites in the spell's casting and totalling to no more than half the spell's level [so you could cast them spontaneously]. You gain Warping from high auras and so on as normal even though you appear to have Might - because really, you don't.

I think that pretty much assures this isn't a major power hike, so why not allow it?

Yair

Depends, if it's fresh it's still animal :wink:

The keyword for determining freshness is "steaming." :wink: