My note on Info skills

Info skills were for me somewhat boring, before I understood what they were doing, which is; defining the character. Ok, it's Feng Shui and it's all about stereotypes but there's a difference between John McClane, Roger Murtaugh and Alex Foley. Sure you're a maverick cop but you still have to stand out from other maverick cops in some way. That's where the Info skills come in handy.

When my players makes characters I tell them that Info skills are more about hobbies and what they do on their spare time or are just things that are defining who the character is. If it's a smoker, she could have Info: cigarettes. If you look at the Old Master, I see before me a studio where he stands and paint pictures (Info: painting) or the Everyman Hero that hangs out with his friends in some pub (Info: beer).

If the players could use the Info skills, great, but that's not the point of those. The characters has heaps of other skills that they probably could (and should) use instead. Skills that are concentrating on the action genre. Instead, info skills are there to define the character. For example, in my group we have a russion cop that has Info: vodka and a medic that works in their firm as an economic (Info: economy).

Mind you they are also great ways to involve the players with the plot. Let that master use info/painting to spot the one fake in the acended honcho's gallery. The fake that hides the safe or the secret door.

Info/ stadium rock may be more dificult to work into a plot. Though with the new cyborgs from glimpse....

Mind you they are also great ways to involve the players with the plot. Let that master use info/painting to spot the one fake in the acended honcho's gallery. The fake that hides the safe or the secret door.

Info/ stadium rock may be more dificult to work into a plot. Though with the new cyborgs from glimpse....

When writing up adventures for my group, I usually try to make a note of any potential Info skill rolls that might help them suss out clues. In their first adventure, the PC with "Info: Atheletics" wound up recognizing one of the named GMCs. "Starfish" Jun was a Japanese baseball star (known as a 'power hitter') before she got drummed out for steroid use; she put one of the reporters at the press conference where it came out in a coma with her aluminum bat, which she was still carrying when the PCs met her working as an enforcer at an underground HK gambling den. This tipped the PCs off to some key aspects of the character before the fight--she was a Big Bruiser with a Signature Weapon.