Mythic Blood- that "one special magical feat"

Oddly enough (and despite rumours to the contrary), "I" am not an Ars Magica character.

And for roughly the same reasons that one would be "Hammer of Thor" and not just "Thor". There is more in names than is found by a quick Google (and you are not the first to ever ask this!). Cuchulain was a Celtic hero, and he had two faithful hounds who played a significant role in that mythic cycle (spec. the "Ulster Cycle"). It makes a good read if you enjoy that sort of thing.

The Celtic knotwork image I use for my avatar depicts them.

I know it's a mouthful (or a keyboardful) for some- anything from CH to Hound to C-dog to Cuchycoo (:roll:) has been used. Feel free if you really need to. :wink:

I know the stories, no reason to get snarky. :cry:
Actually if I had done the google search, I wouldn't have asked the question. I forgot about his dogs. I only remembered the one he killed.

No snark intended. :wink:

For those not familiar, he got the name when he killed the watchdog of a blacksmith ("Cu"?), and promised to serve in his place for a time.

The hounds are not central in the "standard" version, but are mentioned in folklore about the hero, implying that the surviving version has been edited at some point.

The blacksmith was Cullain. The prefix "Cu-" means hound.

That sounds better. He had another name as a child- but heroes are like that.

His name was Setana.

Now who's getting snarky, belladonna? SMARTYPANTS!!!!!

:wink:

For once I actually knew something! I couldn't resist.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, Cuchycoo. :laughing:

(I didn't see it as snarky, merely informative!)

(Argh, the pain! The PAIN! :imp: :laughing: )

Okay! Got it.

Was watching the History channel, and one of those "Holy Blood" bits was on, about the whole "San Graal/Sang Raal" blather- whatever. However, they mentioned the Merovingians, and how the Royal line was descended from King David (of Jerusalem), etc etc (and let's just ignore the "etc." for purposes of this discussion, 'kay?)

Anyway, the show mentioned in passing that the Merovingians were attributed with miraculous powers, like being able to heal with a touch, and talking to animals. While in AM the former is right out (nothing permenant), the latter seemed just the ticket!

And what's more, it fits almost perfectly into the "Level 25, Spoken Only" category. So, that's where I went- he's not a labrat (ie, he'll be outside on a regular basis), so it will be useful on a regular basis (and I gave him Inoffensive to Animals to compliment it), so we'll see how it all works out.

NICE!!

So do you see your mage as a descendant of King David, or a more recent descendant of a Merovingian? (or just a strange restauranteur in a Matrix movie?)

e

Heh. He is The One... or one of the Ones, anyway.

Not sure- I think if he ties into the more recent Noble line (Pippin thru Daggobert & etc), he'll possibly have some political considerations, and I don't know yet if I want to go that way- but maybe!

As for the King David thing... well, 1200 years is a lot of water under the bridge. (Altho' I hadn't even considered the possibility of making him Jewish! Oooh!) :open_mouth:

Lots of good stuff in the RoP:tD....

I think either option has a LOT of potential for good stories and character.

As is rapidly becoming the mantra, "let us know how this turns out!"

e

Hey, you'll know almost as soon as I do- he's in the inaugural PbP saga Loch Caillte! (Or will be as soon as I bring him up to speed!)

viewforum.php?f=18

OOH! I didn't know this was here! Gotta look at the INDEX more often!

The excitement builds....

I had to google search "Merovingians". :laughing:
Cool idea!

Now I'm curious, and dragging this thread off topic (Tack to port! Aye-aye, Captain!)...

How many people are actually reading along with Lough Caillte? :slight_smile:

Steve

Purifying Touch (scrofula) and Animal Ken?

Meh, traffic on this topic seems largely to have dried up anyway. Which worries me a bit- Mythic Blood not as popular as it might be, mebbe? :confused:

(Oh, and I'm reading, altho' it's just starting. :wink: )

Or maybe not many posts to the boards in general.

But because magi already get spells, and because many can easily cast a level 30 spell right from the start, I consider Mythic Blood to be less than essential, perfect for a few concepts but hardly one of the better virtues. I'm suprised about the amount of discussion here compared to the threads about magical foci, which I consider to be two of the best virtues available for magi.

Anyway,

Ken

I am :laughing: