native wildlife (fall 1220)

OOC: Let's explore the cave near the covenant for now; this is pretty low risk so nobody on the council would object. It could be a more complete expedition than the first time, so far the cast would be :

Magi
-Flavius
-Tomas

Companions
-Nicolae (only speaks romany)

Grogs
-Garcin ? (I mean he knows every language, so he could be a translator)

When Tomas gets word of this, he expresses interest. The differences in the people might give him some long term benefits. And that probably requires knowing the place as well.

Vulpus is in disbelief at what he is hearing. "Garcin can't translate because no one know the language. I was proposing LEARNING the language so we could have a translator. Remember that the only Franks or Saracens these people know are the ones who invade their tunnels, kidnap their families and sell them into slavery. If you intend to explore these caves right now, I'd suggest either invisibility, or take Garcin along for his sword, not his tongue. We may have a good start befriending them with gifts of food and dubious safety, but it's just a start. Assuming these people are even inclined to be friendly, it could take years to erode their distrust of everything we stand for!

For the offer of Vulpus, I do not think it should be paid by the covenant stores. What would be more appropriate in my opinion be to pay 2 pawns of vis per magus/maga in exchange to get a season of private tutoring by Vulpus, as mentionned in the covenant charter. That way, Vulpus will be able to earn vis for his studies.

If Vulpus agrees,
Antonius would like to book a season (or more) of tutoring, but I can pass, as it could be a good opportunity for magi that did not have access to the caravan libray to boost some of their skills

Nicolae will laugh:

"Wait a minute, friend. I was merely suggesting that Garcin's help would be welcome during the cave exploration because he speaks many tongues and not a lot of people speak romany around here; it seems as if it's easier for me to speak with every animal except my own specie. Feel free to come if you feel you can keep up in the caves. I'll bring red meat for you this time, juicy and bloody, so you don't have to taste ruined meat."

"Meh, the magi will probably agree with your proposal; you are a clever fox, otherwise it will be their loss."

(Antonius, assuming he is present will not object, but will propose the counter offer above)

Tayma would be interested in doing anything that might be useful, including caving.

OOC: The creatures with magical might should teach each other their qualities.

Vulpus would accept that compromise; he'll end up charging to teach Maltese, but a steady income means he can purchase new tracti on Philosiphae and Artes Liberales.

Tartessos will laugh at the idea, but come around, "I suppose I'll be busy working on the structure for several seasons, and teaching will keep this little scamp out of trouble! I think taking Garcin is a good idea, although you'll have to help him avoid the natives. He can take a couple of trinkets I've designed and test them out while exploring." He'll loan Garcin the Chiming Aura and the Queer Ear that Vis is Near, one to measure the aura, if any, and the other to detect nearby vis.

With a serious look and one hand softly touching the handle of his long sword Frederic states:
“If we inspect their caves without harming them the natives should know that we are different.
If we are lucky we can help them inside the caves and some of the kidnapers disappear forever.”

To Kuiti: Consider that Antonius lent 6 pawns to Vulpus; if anybody want seasons of tutoring, they'll only have to give me 2 pawns, so that wont impede Vulpus in his learning this autumn.

hold off on the loan for a bit - Vulpus currently has three pawns, and can also use confidence, so he's good for fall. We'll see about winter after all the adventures in fall are done; he may not need a loan.

Ok, no problem.