Nature Mysteries, does anyone have some new ones?

Good counter argument! :wink: Upon reflection, I do agree with you. :slight_smile:

"A flower by any other name..."

Does Nature Lore sound too academic? It's just like the other Mystery Cult's [House] Lore.
I need the Nature Magi, as a Mystery Cult, to have a single, exclusive Ability regarding their mysteries. All other Mystery Cults have this. So not an Ability readily available by others, or from Supernatural Ability Virtues. Call it "Mandalus Lore" after the name of the newly seperated house, or "Merinita Lore" to refer to the original master and founder. Nature-, Wilderness- etc. The Right Name is bound to occur to me at some point.

Can any one remeber the names of all other Mysery Cult's [House/Mystery] Lore abilities? Of course, I'll look it uo in my book when I get home...but I need to see if there is some coherent way of naming them.

Or make it the other way round: Season is equal to year duration but not a ritual. I think this was used in some other mystery but I do not recall which one (Serf's parma)
Other durations may include:
until natural condition ends (like: as long as the westwind blows) would equal sun duration
until natural condition starts (like: when the next snow falls) would eual year duration

I tried to avoid "until" Durations since these already belong to Fairy magic.

My thought on "Season" was that it should be more rightly comparable to Moon since it falls between that and Year but is closer to the former in length. Since it is of longer duration than Moon, it would seem proper to make it (like it's Year counterpart) a ritual Duration.

Besides, as I see it, wildling magic would quite likely be more ritual based anyways, hearkening back to pre-Hermetic traditions of natural magic evocation more so than the formulaic processes of Bonisagus.

I get you already.

BoXer:
I'm a skilled orator you know. :smiley:

Watch out, Cicero! lol

Flaw: Necessary condition: In wild area/outside settlements

Virtue: Make it like Magical Focus.
I like the option of 'Ways of the Land'.
Don't limit it to Forms...
Fire is part of Nature
Auram is part of nature
Aquam is part of nature
etc.
Instead concentrate on what the magic is doing. When you cast a spell on a tree (say), you can double your lowest art. If you cast a spell on a person, no bonus. If you cast a spell on a river..yes. Rock..yes.
Armor..No, House...No, horse...yes.
etc

So the Mystery cult would look like this..
Minor Mysteries:
Affinity: Choice
Study Bonus
Puissant...
Skills- Survival, Animal lore (affinity), Plant lore (affinity)

Major Mysteries
Ways of the Land
Nature Magus (Focus)

My Rooks worth

I can see that. But I don't think that Faerie Magic and Nature Magic needs to radically different. Another way to look at it is that the Fae LIKED House Merinita for a reason. Folks were anthropomorphizing Nature and turning a good part of it Fae.

These mysteries just get you back to the real roots of it. :smiling_imp:

-K!

They AREN'T "radically" different, not in spirit anyways, but if we're in the process of helping someone create a new mystery cult, why not develop some novel approaches rather than taking what is already developed for another realm of magic?

Seems to me most of our suggestions are borrowings or derivations anyways, so in this case I thought a Duration (or Durations) wholly its own might be in order.

Sue me for trying to be clever :wink:

You'll hear from my attorney shortly! :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I agree. Novel ideas are good. I guess I was trying to point out that they don't have to be and it would still be just fine.

So, let's put it to the crowd: What mystery did Quendalyn's (sp?) rival know that he was unable to pass on? What secret(s) did Q quash? And is there an Ex Misc or Bjornear bunch that rediscovered them or maintained them in parallel?

-K!

I see Bjornaer have a sub-tradition of some nature-related mysteries, from refugees from Merinita when Quendalon went the faerie way.

Hermetic Theurgy and such, is mentioned, but just refers to The Mysteries. Can someone explain what these are about. I need to know whwther to buy The Mysteries right now, and wait with City & Guild, or which way my priorities lie.

Unless your running a story more for the grogs the Mysteries will be much more useful.
review of mysteries here and first look thread here