New Lab Discussion thread

That's assuming that the Guernici are big and nasty in this saga.

I guess that depends on how tall Whitburh is but she's definitely nasty :slight_smile:

IMO, switching out the lab and stuff is a long range goal we should aspire to. Talia has ambitions of learning The Ambulatory Laboratory. Having the lab follow her from the ship to another location is eminently useful. If we can acquire a lab text, with her bonuses of her lab, she can learn it when Re+Te+Int+Mt+Aura=43. Unfortunately, the resources of the covenant, in addition to not having a lab text for The Ambulatory Laboratory is presently insufficient to get Talia there. Still, it's a goal of hers, and probably take 8 or 9 years (and discount doing other worthy tasks).

Personally I feel that establishing a sanctum and setting up your lab is an enormous part of making a covenant one's home. When I move into a new apartment, it isn't home until my books are organized and there's dog toys scattered all over the floor in every room; the lab is the Ars Magica equivalent of owning 7000-8000 books.

I don't disagree. However that doesn't mean that one can setup in the ideal location immediately. Taila is happy to have any aura, her sanctum goes with her. However that lab, as originally designed, is useful, hot mess that it is.
And then there is the problem of getting all the magi onto the island. Not just the 4 PCs.

Yeah moving is a pain, but I'm not seeing a path to get all the magi on the island.

I'd personally like to see Talia eventually put her lab in a stationary place, as I think our characters would always wonder whether she really feels that the covenant is her home when she can literally leave forever on a moment's notice.

Well, If you really want her to stick around she is interested in a shipyard. Rather one of her favored grogs is interested. She can make another ship easily enough. But, yeah an IC motivation to get her more vested in the covenant is reasonable. I mean she was the first to balk at signing her life away. As things stand she is interested in sticking around for at least a few years.

Halie will corner Talia and "subtly" lament how she feels that having a lab which is temporary makes a place feel less like home.

:wink:

Talia will offer to conjure a ship and help crew her and then she can have a lab wherever her ship is! :stuck_out_tongue:

"I thank you for the generous offer, but a ship is by definition transitory. I need to build a nest, a place where I can raise some chicks and watch them grow. Don't you feel similarly?

"Been raising my son aboard the ship. Have a sanctum aboard. I take my nest wherever I go. Pot to pee in, check, check. Good looking men twelve checks. Good food for long voyages, check."

This should probably get moved to the Lab thread or someplace else.

Talia is against replacing the common lab, I think the three founders might be against it. Now long term, if there's a way to preserve it, that's a worthy goal to work for. It's actually an interesting lab from the standpoint that it appears to violate several Hermetic rules in the number of specializations it has (I don't think this has been or will be corrected, am I right PB?).

Once we, as a covenant can get someone to learn the Ambulatory Laboratory, we can relocate the lab to a temp location, build sancta on the Eilean Chon, and then Talia can relocate everyone's lab into their new digs, and the common lab into new digs as well.

I also think, from a character point a of view, that's it is awfully presumptuous of us, as new members, to tell the founders, no, we don't like your lab, we're going to tear it down and put up our own stuff over there. That's really a very rude thing[1], and I don't think they'd stand for it, and while we may be within our rights to do it, if the measure passes the council (not likely, but possible) you can be sure that whomever doesn't like that idea will make people's lives very difficult.

[1] I know magi can be rude, but it's not a smart move, either. Antagonizing founding covenant members is worthy of Bad Idea jeans.

Aside from moving the laboratory itself, the new lab building can be done in under a day. Some Perdo Herbam to destroy the old building. Some ReTe to move the dirt to lower and level the top of the island, making the usable surface much larger. Have Drystan cast The Cabin of Earthen Wood to build the new structure. If anyone can find someone to cast the Ambulatory Laboratory (which hasn't happened yet), as long as one of the labs in the new structure is the same configuration/dimensions as the original lab, it should be able to be done in one day.

Scary, huh?

What about the stationary magic bushes?

How many labs can we fit in the new structure, only three?

It's not scary, really, it's entirely possible, it's just we're not in a position to do it ourselves.

Right. I actually kind of like the idea of a disharmonious intersection of chance and fortune that took decades to accumulate.

Once I get around to posting the notes that Siobhan left before she took off after Christmas, you'll see that the magic bushes are actually a Creo Vis Source. One blossom on each bush, for ten pawns of Creo a year.

Three per story.

Really, the only thing that y'all can't do yourselves is the Ambulatory Laboratory. Everything else is well within the capabilities of the magi (if you include Drystan for the building creation spell).

((Talia will offer to trade some space to someone if they want a +2 size lab.))

So Halie knows the bushes have Might, it's a reasonable expectation we don't want to mess with them for fear of destroying their vis production.

We could build on stilts :stuck_out_tongue: