No warping!

Really? I don't find that at all consistent. Examples:

1. Keeping a D: Concentration spell running on yourself all year causes Warping. Having your familiar keep a D: Concentration spell running on you all year explicitly does not cause Warping. This is really the main point.
  2. Attaching a magic item to yourself by enchanting one of your own tattoos does not cause Warping. Meanwhile I believe attaching materials to yourself to upgrade yourself as your own Talisman does cause Warping.
  3. Parma Magica kept up for the year does not seem to cause Warping. (I can't remember if that is clearly stated, but I believe that was the consensus and may have been clarified as the intent.)

Chris

I don't think random accusation of "cheating" even deserves an answer. Those are usually misguided rule bigots.

Here's my take on the matter of effects in the Bond with T:Group, that affect both maga and familiar: it is one of those cases where not having a troupe decision is quite impossible - even using simple RAW without extra consideration here would require a troupe decision in the end.

I will use callen's example, ReIg 'Ward against Heat and Flame' with T:Group, for some illustration. Putting it into a Bond as a constant effect is enormously useful. So useful indeed, that at first about every PC maga in a campaign would want to have it, if this is possible.
Until most of the troupe gets bored with it, that is. And a storyguide arranges a little situation, where a PC maga's casual imperviousness against flames first gets noticed: "There! The witch didn't get burned when she accidentally stepped into the campfire!". And then gets gossiped about. And soon the PC magi suffer from this constant effect, as bishops, templars and sundry 'innocently' use candle flames to test for witches and mages. Were it in a ring now, removing the ring when meeting 'mundanes' would solve the problem easily. But since the effect is enchanted into the Bond with a familiar, discarding it affects the Bond. Doing away with the Bond is (HoH:TL p.61) torture for maga and familiar. But just removing a single enchantment from it requires a troupe decision: TMK there is no rule about such activity for magic items in general, let alone for Bonds.

So I would recommend to require enchantments in the Bond, that affect both maga and familiar at once, to be controlled independently by both maga and familiar. This helps troupes to avoid trouble - like that above - caused by abusing familiars as a kind of special magic item that doesn't warp. And it keeps all Bond enchantments special (just like their Lab Texts, see ArM5 p.105). Just think of the clever familiar that activates 'Ward against Heat and Flame' before his maga steps into the campfire, only to be chided by her later ...

Cheers

The Parma is non-hermetic, and neither is the Aegis, and one of the side effects of their attempt at integration is that neither causes warping.

If you want to view Parma Magica as non-Hermetic (Note, it technically is about as purely Hermetic as anything else if not more so. It was never something non-Hermetic to be integrated.), then you have an answer for the familiar bond, too. It's not purely Hermetic, and one of the side-effects of integration is that neither it nor enchantments in it cause Warping. The familiar bond was something non-Hermetic that was integrated, so if that works for one thing then why can't it work for the other?

Chris

Personally I have no issue with people enchanting the familiar bond to include permanent effects.

In my experience, permanent effects tend to cause as many problems as they solve - so if a magus wants to go ahead and do that then they have to live with the consequences.

The fact that it is limited to effects that target either the magus, the familiar or both is IMO sufficient limitation that any created effects are likely to have consequences if you can't turn them off. In many ways, I see each permanent effect as a boon with an accompanying free story flaw - since there's no way I know of to make permanent effects that are intelligent in their application.

In most cases, the smarter move would be to make an effect that the familiar can activate/deactivate anyway. The no-warping rule just means the effect can be assumed on by default in most cases - which I don't see as a problem.

Interestingly, this reminds me of Mage: The Ascension. In it, some familiars could eat accumulated Paradox, which was that game's version of what Twilight would become.

So I agree with Xavi here: Since the familiar bonds helps in avoiding acclimatation, one could suppose that this is what happens: It eats the "magic overload" of the bond to survive, not unlike it could eat vis or use the Aura's ambiant energies.

Now, how to make it eat all these other warping points, more importantly, the longevity ritual ones. Could one maybe instil his ritual in the familiar bond?
This seems like a mission for your Bonisagus!

Now that I think about it, yeah that's right, in Mage they ate the Paradox didn't they? Maybe that was in the back of my mind when I posted that.

An obvious use for this is to enchant a creo mentem "imaginary lab" that gives no warping.

Only if you had at least 4 dots in familiar I think.

DAMN YOU!! It's been over 13 years since I last played 2nd edition mage and my munchkin brain is bringing up facts like that. White Wolf claimed my brain for most of the 90s.

Good use. Never thought about it, buit it can be really useful for adventuring sagas. It removes the BIG poblem of imaginary labs, so they become a cool concept again :slight_smile:

Same here, all White Wolf all the time. :smiling_imp:

Nope. It just changes the frequency of paradox annulment - I checked.

I feel your pain man. You're not alone.

Would really want a 'constant effect' on this one though.

I think that was part of the point. This would be an effect you do as T: Group on both the familiar and magus. Make it a constant effect. There isn't a downside to running it forever as it's not discoverable a way that would get you burned at the stake, as mentioned above. I'm not sure about it removing the big problem of imaginary labs, though. I always thought the big problem was the chance of losing your work. I guess I'm more willing to eat Warping Points than most.

Chris

Why group? You just need 4+ uses/day, neh? Especially if there's an external trigger.
Is it to make sure it's the same lab that's shared?

Was it in a different thread? The issue is that if it only affects the magus it must be under the familiar's control, and a constant effect would not be under the familiar's control at all, nor would something only controlled by an external trigger. Affecting both the magus and the familiar could get by this, though there is no clear interpretation.

Also, 4 uses/day doesn't cut it. Constant effects in items are not repeatedly triggered at sunrise and sunset. They are triggered once and then just run constantly. They are only created as 2 uses/day and external trigger. This is the interpretation that has been used in the official books and confirmed by David.

Yes, I was thinking that would also be an advantage. That way your familiar could assist you in it. But, of course, this only works if you're within the same effect.

Chris

That's what it is then.

Which is really the better point.

Was it ever agreed that the External Trigger couldn't be used?
I saw the argument, but thought it more ignored that concluded - as you mention, no clear interpretation.

Roberto of Flambeau looks at you with one eye closes and a wry smile
Bring it...