November Realia - A Realia collection a day for November

28. The Ciphers of Caesar Cyfer

Intellego OR Intrigue

“The Tremere put such a premium on knowing what is going on, how things were done. Bunch of little spying gossips is what they are! That is why, though I die old and infirm in my bed, I die happy. I die knowing that my name will be cursed, likely for centuries, by every single apprentice, master and archmage of that house who hears of my name or deeds”
Last words of Caesar Cyfer of House Tytalus

Caesar Cyfer of Tytalus is a name few remember today, yet he was involved in several key moments of the Schism war. The role he played was a much quieter one than many of his combative brothers, yet it was more impactful than most. He was a quiet one, part spymaster, part logistician and part strategist. His was the hand behind many a strange intervention by his house in the course of the war, all of which remain, to this day, unexplained and almost unexplainable.

Some say he must have been an amazing leader to compel his usually fractious brothers to follow him, others assume that his political manoeuvring within the house allowed him to pull the strings at the right time.

Those who learn how he convinced his housemates to commit to his plans find the truth is somewhat stranger. He would explain his plan in detail, write it down in full, encode his orders in code to be sent to those who he needed to give instructions to and he would then send a copy to the enemy along with a message in simple latin “This is how you will die”.

This bravado alone seemed to compel his brothers to follow along with his plans and it would appear that none of his messages were ever correctly deciphered by the Diedne.

After the war house Tremere wanted to know how he had achieved particular victories, in response he send them copies of each set of documents he sent to the Diedne and told them they could find the answers in his writings.

This complete collection is still held by house Tremere but there are also several private collectors in the order who are hunting down the other copies Caesar send to his fellow Tytali magi and to the Diedne.

To this day not a single of the many ciphers used by Caesar has been cracked, and those who might know the secrets of these cyphers honoured Caesar and took that secret to their final twilight or the grave.

Bonus Story Hooks

a) A travelling mage arrives at the covenant claiming that nefarious forces are threatening here. They claim that they were able to crack one of the ciphers that others have examined and claimed to be just gibberish. According to this mage it is because the others are simple minded fools.
This fugitive is asking the magi for help and sanctuary. Are there nefarious forces at work or are they just crazy with paranoia - will this lead the magi to something unexpected or some interesting historical discovery?

b) The magi discover something previously overlooked while studying a copy of Caesar’s manuscripts. The text they translates sounds like the ravings of a mad man, but could this clue lead to a great discovery?

Given how stat light this is, I'd like to note it'd make a good podcast or thirty.

Sorry this didn't get posted in November - got hit by man-flue towards the end of November and since then I've been running around, which left me without the will to finish off writing up and posting the last two items, but here they are

29. Those Flames that Endure

Creo OR Ignem

Lautitia of Flambeau has gathered together several eternal flames, flames that burn without fuel or the need to be tended. The vast majority of these she has found in tombs and burial sites throughout mytich Europe, Africa and Outremer, and her quest to acquire more of these objects has taken her throughout the lands of the order and beyond.

Bonus Story Hooks

a) One of the flames Lautitia recovered was from the tomb of an egyptian pharaoh, and in breaking into the tomb Lautitia has fallen under the Pharaoh’s curse. What form does the curse take and are the characters asked to help by the Maga or are they tasked to investigate her strange and inexplicable death - what ancient magics will they uncover and will they, too, succumb to the Pharaoh's Curse!
b) Eternally burning lamps are obviously the work of devils and their ilk, or so many would believe. Lautitia is under investigation for potentially bringing the attention of demons to the order, either she asks the PCs to help clear her name or they are tasked with helping the investigation - what do they find.

For the final collection I decided to have a bit of fun. Since I started doing this I have had one particular item in mind from fiction that struck me as a potentially amazing realia collection - unusually for me its not a Monty Python reference but is instead from Terry Pratchett's disk world series.

30. The Cabinet of Curiosity

[i]Unknown

Technically, it appears to be a classic bag of holding but with n mouths, where n is the number of items in an eleven-dimensional universe which are not currently alive, not pink, and can fit in a cubical drawer 14.14 inches on a side, divided by P[/i]
Ponder Stibbons (obviously house Bonnisagus)

This collection is contained in a single cabinet, which was originally found in the storage area (behind a collection of stuffed frogs) in the large winter covenant that Ponder recently joined. He and several other magi recently joined this winter covenant and are trying to bring it back into summer, much to the annoyance of several of the elderly residents who view the young upstarts as overly loud, brash and not able to understand the finer points of magic - like the need to not use it.

Old texts describe the cabinet as having draws that contain other magical draws within them, and it appears that each draw in the cabinet will contain a single item that is not currently alive, not pink, and is able to fit in a draw. Each draw also contains at least one other draw (assuming the user knows how to bring that draw into 'focus') which can be opened.

The number of draws that can be opened is equal to the intelego vim lab total of the mage times their philosophy and magic theory scores combined multiplied by 5 - that's InVi Lab total x (5 x Philosophy+Magic Theory)

Stibbons and his younger fellows have been working with the cabinet and, assisted by Ponder’s sentient laboratory HEX, have been able to expand the cabinet out much further than anyone previously recorded, and are reaching the point where they will soon need to find a bigger room to do their work in.

Despite this success in accessing more and more of the cabinet they are yet to determine exactly what the collection is about, and so it does not (currently) allow them to learn any useful skill

Bonus Story Hooks

a) A Breakthrough! Ponder has managed to push past what seemed to be a stalling point on the number of draws and has finally opened additional draws - what strange new things are contained in these draws? The players may be drafted in to help catalogue it. What strange and enticing objects will they find this deep into the cabinet?
b) What happens if one of the players takes something from a draw and does not return it?
c) What does this collection actually teach? Is it some unknown skill or supernatural ability or is it something more mundane that only becomes obvious after thousands of draws have been opened and a pattern emerges?

These have all been awesome!

Many thanks to the author(s?) for putting them together...

Absolutely. I hadn't looked at Realia before but these have been inspirational.

I'm going to ask a basic question, though, to confirm how they work. Covenants (p. 102) says: "A realia collection is studied as a tractatus. A realia collection can be studied as many times as it has levels of quality." I take that to mean that a realia collection of quality 5 (eg: The Magician’s Tricks (no. 24) above = Lvl 5 Legerdemain) can be studied five times, each time yielding 5xp for a total of 25xp. A collection of quality 7 would give an eventual total of 49xp, etc. Is that correct?

That's my understanding.

And, agreed - this has been a really nice collection, with some clever ideas. Thank-you for putting it together, Imreai (and Daniel Jensen).