OOC: Adventures

Anastaj seems slightly anxious, like when someone shares a confidence and does not know how the other person will take it. He does not have an ulterior motive or secret purpose in mind, as far as you can tell. His body language is open, leaning lightly towards the creature itself. He seems to be protective of it, or being protected by it.

I am always mindful of Comprehend magic (It make my life easier if you want to know). As for the spells, no problem.
Arni and Scylax are talking about the lake. It is possible (70-90%) that Scylax and Aristocles will visit the lake during 1.2 Wandering Isles. Should I foreshadow now or later?

I could not possibly know, and yet you ask. I have no idea what plots you might spoil by foreshadowing.

One possibility, is to fast forward to the caves, and then elaborate on the lake when we make the return trip. Is it reasonable to expect that Scylax' first visit to the lake has been played by then? Whatever makes your life easy and the story consistent :slight_smile:

ok then, Scylax will talk with Arni about the lake later, when we have finished that part in 1.2

For his part Aristocles appears utterly sincere in his comments re the covenant and the bond to the patron.

1.3b.
Arni considers using an CrAu effect to create a wind blowing up from the chasms, strong enough to break a fall or to float slowly down upon. I am thinking that something similar to CHARGE OF THE ANGRY WINDS (CrAu15) should be sufficient, just blowing towards me instead of away. That should be spontable most of the time. We do not need a wind to carry a human; we just want to slow down a fall. (What do I know about aura?) I am not sure if a momentary effect would be sufficient!? What do you think? Is it doable?

Arni clearly does not have the strength for rope climbing, 3:1 that he be falling.

Another alternative. Would MuHe5 (base 3 +1 conc +1 touch) suffice to extend the length of a rope slowly? (I.e tie a big loop on the rope as a seat, and use the effect to extend it to make a lift.) Base three is change a plant product, so it seems to be within. OK or not OK?

1.3b

I have not stated anything about an aura, and Scylax hasn't detected any ( as far as the rest of you know). Easiest way down would be a ReCo 10 like Rise of the Feathery Body. A CrAu 15 could make a wind that can slow down falling. However you will need a Finesse roll of 12 for each person going down, one at a time. Should you fail that, the character going down needs to do a Dex+Athletics 6, or drop down, be thrown on a wall, or simply sprain an ankle jumping down or such. Also it would need to be concentration or D. The finesse roll is quite high because the wind is coming up and out of that small fissure, carrying all that debris while you are trying to position the persons falling down. The MuHe 5 is fine too, you still need a Str+Athletics 6 to hang on while going down, unless somehow you are strapped or harnessed to the rope and the just lower you down. That would put the people outside doing the Str+Athletics vs 6, 2 extra botch dice instead of Arni (then again you could do that without magic anyway?). No seat can pass through that fissure.

For 1.3b, are you trying to avoid using the heartbeast in front of your mundane covenfolk? If the shaft is big enough for humans to pass through, I think an eagle might be able to flap through, or you could easily be carried down.

Why would the people outside make a roll? Isn't there a tree to tie the rope to?
Harnessing should be trivial, no? A big loop around the chest, resting in the arm pits should do it. Then stretch the rope. If the level is right, I cannot really see any problems here.

Finesse + what? Dex? Int? Per? The ease factor is too high, so I don't think it is an option, but good to know what you are thinking for the next time.

I shall decide when we have heard from Scylax.

I did consider the heartbeast, to the point where I looked up its wing span, more than two metres! If I understand the layout of the cave correctly, that means that the eagle needs to drop several metres with wings folded, and then unfold the wings and break the fall very quickly in a confined space. If Arni has a better view of the cave than I have, and he deems this possible, he would do it. Bogdan is used to having to bring his cowl and shoes after him :slight_smile: What do you reckon?

Harnessing is not the problem, but someone has to lower you down. Theoretically you could tie the rope to a tree and use that MuHe spontaneous to make the rope slowly grow and lower you down. Standard targeting roll Per+Finesse.
The heartbeast is the easiest I think. The fissure is easier for the eagle to wiggle through, makes a dive then uses wings to break the fall. Not the most graceful of maneuvers but feasible. Dex+Athletics (with flying) vs 6.

Scylax will avoid breaking his fool neck (-2 Str + 0 Athletics), hopefully, by casting a normal Wizard's Leap ReCo 15 Mastery 1 Fast Casting/+9, which has a range of 50 paces, so more than enough. He will likely have to rest a few minutes to recover Fatigue. Walk to the edge, peer with his Eyes of the Cat, and then do the leap. Unfortunately do not have Rise of the Feathery Body and would be extremely difficult to Spont it, or a MuVi to increase Wizard's Leap to Touch.
Yet!!
Wizard's Leap ReCo 15 Mastery 1 Fast Casting/+9 +_: 1D10 = [1] = 1 , _: 1D10 = [8] = 8 = 25, success!!! Yay!

1.3b

Before departing, Arni will cast a spontaneous CrAu effect in order to create a draft fresh air from the opening and down into the tunnel. (Quiet and Subtle magic.) This could be interpreted in many different ways, I think, with or without a Rego requisite (variations over Chamber of Spring, Wind at the Back, etc). I think the most efficient approach is create a draft from the entrance down the tunnel, constantly pushing air down until sunset. I.e. we have touch range, sun duration, target Ind (?) for one wind, and and remaining magnitudes to boost size to fill the tunnel. An important part of the idea is to provide air for Alexios' fires ... Casting total 27 + roll 6 = 33 or level 16½ (with Rego requisite it would be level 14).

OK? Feel free to correct my analysis. How far down the tunnel will this help us?

For 1.3b Perama's cave:

For Scylax's part, he will try to concentrate on detecting the auras/vis in a fashion as described before...plus he will also look out for Infernal auras, as they are now in the Underworld, as he sees it

Will wait for Quite Possibly a Cat to post something

1..3b
Creating a draft from outside is a Rego effect. Making fresh air is a Creo effect, and you can do even in a sealed room. Either effect will fill the room, possibly a bit of the tunnel ahead. For the record, real life Perama caves are at least 5 klm long, only 1 klm has been thoroughly explored. Wouldn't it be easier to have a magical light or something. Your choice.
As I stated before, I am aware of what Scylax is always doing :slight_smile: However, I am not that confident on the Infernal part. How are you gonna detect infernal auras? Magic runs afoul of 5th lesser limit (or am I missing something?). Only thing I have seen in core is Sense Holiness/Unholiness (and that uses Divine rules)

Euh. Creating a draft is a Creo effect. Directing an existing wind (e.g. down the tunnel) is a Rego effect. All the ReAu spells in core assume a pre-existing wind to cause wind effects. There are plenty of CrAu effects to make wind. I don't have a problem with ruling out the draft effect, though; one may argue that such a draft would either not go very far into the cave, or be dangerously forceful near the entrance.

(ST EDIT) Aren't we saying the same thing?

What you suggest, filling the room with fresh air, is CrAu5 (Chamber of Spring Breezes). Is «possibly a bit of the tunnel ahead» really all I get for adding two magnitudes to CrAu16½? (If so, what's your reasoning?) One would think that one extra magnitude would cover a structure. Although the structure is not the target in this case, it is quite analogous. I can see a variant, adding a Rego requisite to Chamber of Spring breezes to make it follow us around (+1 Magnitude for the requisite, to Cr(Re)Au10).

Light was not the point BTW. Alexios was talking about military flame throwers. Neither Scylax nor Arni can match him ...

(ST EDIT) Hmm...I don't see much of a problem unless you a) go berzerk with the flamethrower or b) are completely caved in

This is from Core. While Hermetic magic cannot detect demons or see through their falsehoods when they do not wish it, it can easily detect such auras, with the same level as (3: Base 1 R:P D:Mom T: Smell (+2)).
(ST EDIT) Page plz?

Because he is using smell, he has to politely ask Arni to stop creating wind in the direction of their travel when he does this.

Of course, you may disallow this:
"Different spells may be invented to detect Faerie, Divine, or Infernal effects. Each spell only affects one realm, and storyguides may wish to disallow spells to detect the Divine or Infernal."

Based on p.157 InVi 2 "SENSE OF MAGICAL POWER" and guidelines on p.158

Arni can of course stop, but the spell has Sun duration, and Arni is really no good at PeVi ...

But if we end up with a Chamber of Spring Breezes type effect, I suppose it is not a problem!?

Scylax of course can bite the bullet and Spont a stronger (Hearing, +3) and longer lasting spell. Chamber of Spring Breezes is a very attractive spell underground!

To take last thing first. This may have absolutely no game mechanical consequence, but it is the right thing to do in character. Alexios spoke as if was planning to go berzerk, and Arni wants to help as best he can. Besides, Arni is going to feel more comfortable with fresh air.

We are saying some of the same things at least. CrAu can be used in (at least) two different ways,

1. To create a weather phenomenon, e.g. a wind blowing into the cave.
  2. To create fresh air and circulation within the cave.
    We may agree that (1) is a bad idea for one reason or another, but (2) remains open.

CrAu5 is Chamber of Spring Breezes which fills a room, i.e. the 10x4 pace entrance cave, with fresh air.

1. What can I achieve by adding two magnitudes to boost size/target (CrAu16½)?
  2. What can I achieve by adding a Rego requisite (+1 magnitude for the requisite effect) to have the fresh air follow us around (Cr(Re)Au14)?

I believe your first intention was

to which I said creating air is Creo, moving the air from outside is Rego, two different things. If you create the phenomenon , you don't need outside.

This falls under the discussion we had about Cr Auram. Remember what we were talking about are/target?

...and yet the spell itself has target of individual and +1 unnatural. Lets ignore the Auram paradox and make the spell as a Creo effect that affects a room. That falls under page 113, both the Creo insert and the target and size insert. The target would be group/room for just that room. Structure is not applicable, but boundary is (though that's ritual). I understand that your point of view is that you are creating an individual wind . We had a discussion and asked help from the forum and finally...

Which brings us to this... I honestly have no idea, cause we made all this too complicated.

I do not think you should add a Rego component to have the effect move around with you. Why not just make the spell create fresh air around you, filling a 100x100 pace area and have the whole thing solved?

Euh ... if I create a wind/draft exactly at the opening, where is the air coming from if not the outside? OK, maybe my interpretation of elemental magic is too sciency for Mythic Europe. That's ok, it is good to get these interpretations straight.

Indeed, the wind was my first intention, but if this is not appropriate, I always had the Chamber of Spring Breezes as a backup alternative. With so many alternative approaches, I expected us to agree on at least one.

I do remember. Part of the challenge is that Chamber of Spring Breezes is not a weather phenomenon and its mechanics is different from the examples we considered previously. I find it much more difficult to explain Chamber of Spring Breezes consistently within the guidelines, but your reference to the Creo inset did help a lot.

I agree. I did not mean to enter into a deep technical discussion. What I was hoping was to take Chamber of Spring Breezes as the baseline and use the extra magnitude to extrapolate the effect one way or another by good judgement, either increasing /size/ or making the effect move with us. What you suggest below, is entirely within this range of possibilities, so let's go for it. I did not expect more.

Fine by me. I assumed a requisite, but it is analogous to Lamp without a Flame, so maybe not.