OOC: Character Concepts

Level 40 as a lab season? Can you get a lab total of 80? Impressive.

I cannot get a lab total of 80. I applied the formula from apprenticeship, which supposes that you can learn spells up to Technique + Form + Intelligence + Magic Theory +3. I suppose applying it post-gauntlet assumes a lab text is available at the covenant, but not applying it has the irony of being unable to learn a spell in a season that you could otherwise learn as part of an apprenticeship in a season. What's your call?

I think the assumption is that in apprenticeship, spells are taught by the parens; after apprenticeship, the default is that it be invented without a text.

Given that this is just one spell, I am not awfully bothered. If others would take it as precedence, it is out of the question. Thus it is a troupe call.

I forgot to delete Etiquette from the sheet. Now the XP should add up, and then I can add the years post Gauntlet

I am fine with one spell post gauntlet using the apprentice convention.

Name: Rubellius Verditi
Birth Name: Theodulf of Nantcaster
Warping Score: 0(0)
Confidence Score: 0 (Can't have)
Personality: Claustrophobia +3, QuickToRage +2, Self-Confidence -2
Reputations: None
Twilight Scars: None
Size: +2
Height: 220cm (7'3")
Weight: 130kg (290lb)
Equipment: TODO leather armor (no head for claustrophobia, he needs breeze)
Encumbrance: TODO 0(0)
Soak: +1 (TODO if he wears leather armor)
MR: TODO
Combat:
TODO Dodging, Init -1, Attack - , Defense +0, Damage -
TODO Grappling, Init -1, Attack +2, Defense +0, Damage +4
TODO Bludgeoning, Init -1, Attack +2, Defense +0, Damage +4
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1(1-5), -3(6-10), -5(11-15), Incapacitated(16-20)

Characteristic Score
Intelligence +3
Perception +0
Presence +0
Communication +0
Strength +1+1
Stamina +0+1
Dexterity +1
Quickness -1
Virtues Level Type Points Notes
The Gift Free Hermetic 0
Hermetic Magus Free Social Status 0
Verditius Magic Minor Hermetic 0 House Virtue
Affinity with Craft(leather worker) Minor General 1
Puissant Craft(leather worker) Minor General 1
Affinity with Magic Theory Minor General 1
Inventive Genius Minor Hermetic 1
Affinity with Creo Minor Hermetic 1
Affinity with Auram Minor Hermetic 1
Puissant Auram Minor Hermetic 1
Giant Blood Major General 3
Total 10
Flaws Level Type Points Notes
Weak Spontaneous Magic Major Hermetic 3
Necessary Condition Major Hermetic 3 Raise arms fully stretched upwards (320cm total)
Low Self-Esteem Major General 3 He's The Gift but he's not a good caster, he fights but he's not a knight
Fear (enclosed spaces) Minor Personality 1
Total 10
Ability Specialty Score XP
Anglo-Saxon About armors 5 0 (Native language)
Awareness Ambushes 3 30
Athletics Sprints 3 30
Brawl Bludgeoning 4 50
Craft (leatherworker) Handwear 5+2 50 * 1.5
Artes Liberales 1 5
Latin Hermetics Terms 4 50
Magic Theory Auram 5 34 * 1.5
Parma Magica Auram 1 5
Philosophiae Natural Philosophy 1 5
Art Score XP
Creo 8+3 24 * 1.5
Intellego
Muto
Perdo
Rego 5 15
Animal
Aquam
Auram 12+3 52 * 1.5
Corpus
Herbam
Ignem
Imaginem
Mentem
Terram
Vim
Spell Casting Total Level
Air's Ghostly Form +27 CrAu5
Chamber of Spring Breezes +27 CrAu5
Wreaths of Foul Smoke +27 CrAu5
Jupiter's Resounding Blow +27 CrAu10
Stench of the Twenty Corpses +27 CrAu10
Broom of the Winds +27 CrAu15
Charge of the Angry Winds +27 CrAu15
Circling Winds of Protection +27 CrAu20
The Incantation of Lightning +27 CrAu35

Background:
Theodulf life was harsh since the beginning: his mother died while giving birth to him, a thing he still blames himself for. His two older brothers where never kind to him, they mocked him, made fun of his clumsiness, they never shared a single clothe or boot or nothing. By little day to day actions, they took revenge for the life he ended. His father could do nothing but pity him. Theodulf still dreams his father's big eyes wide open looking at him. No, not looking at him, but through him, in a desperate motionless research. He knew that every time his father posed eyes on him, he lived again his wife's last moments, then the look always turned away in a mixture of saddens and ill-concealed anger.

The year passed and he started fighting back. Now the brothers were not so amused to continuously tease him, they even started sharing supper. Maybe he was in the way he asked with more decision or maybe because he could easily lift and throw them out of the windows, either way Theodulf eat more and grow even more. Spaces that before seemed wide, now could not fit him and the feeling of being entrapped grew inside him. He found himself always outside home, walking down the streets or exploring nearby open areas.

But soon something changed: people began to be rude. He didn't stated it, but surely he did not do something to stop hit, once he grabbed a cow femur and cracked the head open to the one who threw him a rotten potato. Maybe that's how the nearby covenant acknowledged his existence. Given the vulgar hostility, for the magi it was easy to recognize The Gift in him. Even if he wasn't a good caster, he could craft and enchant with an uncommon ease. Looking him at work was bewitching, such a big guy moving his hand with such a grace and precision. He took the highest lab space he could find and almost removed completely the ceiling, he said he wanted to breath openly.
The magi let him do what he wanted because his affinity with air was clear.

Now he goes by the name of Rubellius, form house Verditius, the one that rages as quickly as he vents, like a summer thunderstorm. Most of his enchantments are meant to protect or to quickly knock out an opponent. Few of his gauntlets were gifted to important magi for the battlefield front lines.

Giant Blood and Dwarf Blood?

I selected Dwarf only because from Core it helps with crafting, may I change it to Giant and still make it help crafting or I need to change it to something strength related?
If not, I'll simply remove it with another Virtue :slight_smile:

Name: Luciu Ragusa of Guernicus

Size: -1

Personality: Idealistic +3, Temperate +3, Inquisitive +3

Height: 5'2"

Weight: 138 lbs.

Warping: 2 (20)

Soak: +1 (+4 Vim)

MR: 15, Ignem 20, Vim 31

Combat: Ini +1, Attack -, Defense +1, Damage -

Characteristic Score
Intelligence +3
Perception +2
Presence +1
Communication +1
Strength -2
Stamina +1
Dexterity -2
Quickness +1
The Gift Free Hermetic 0
Hermetic Magus Free Hermetic 0
Hermetic Prestige Minor Hermetic 0
Flawless Magic Major Hermetic 3
Premonitions Minor Supernatural 1
Second Sight Minor Supernatural 1
Skilled Parens Minor General 1
Puissant Vim Minor General 1
Affinity with Vim Minor General 1
Puissant Intellego Minor General 1
Affinity with Intellego Minor General 1
Total 10
Twilight Prone Major Hermetic 3
Visions Minor Story/Supernatural 1
Driven Major Personality 3
Temperate Minor Personality 1
Small Frame Minor General 1
Weird Magic Minor Hermetic 1
Total 10
Awareness Alertness 3
Charm Debate 2
Concentration Spell Concentration 1
Etiquette Magi 1
Folk Ken Magi 2
Guile Half-truths 1
Intrigue Gossip 2
Leadership Debate 2
Native Language: Sicilian Siciliano 5
Organization Lore: Cult of Mercury Ceremonies 1
Organization Lore: Order of Hermes Personalities 2
Art of Memory Scenes 2
Artes Liberales* Debate 2
Dead Language: Latin Hermetic 5
Philosophiae
Code of Hermes Peripheral Codes 2

|Dominion Lore|Saints|1|
|Faerie Lore|Rules|1|
|Finesse|Speed|1|
|Infernal Lore|Curses|1|
|Magic Lore|Magical Traditions|1|
|Magic Theory|Learning Spells|5|
|Parma Magica|Ignem|3|
|Penetration|Intellego|1|
|Premonitions|Supernatural Threats|5|
|Second Sight|Invisible Things|5|

Art Score XP
Creo
Intellego 16+3 1
Muto
Perdo
Rego 5 3
Animal
Auram
Aquam
Corpus
Herbam
Ignem
Imaginem
Mentem
Terram
Vim 16+3 7
Spell Casting Total Level
Sight of the Molting Magus (HH:TL 72) 21 25
Sight of the Sigil (HH:TL 72) 40 50
Restore the Faded Threads [-5 or more] (HH:TL 74) 21 30
Peering Into the Mortal Mind (ArM 149) 23 30
The Call to Slumber 7 10
Tales of the Ashes (ArM 141) 21 5
Spell Mastery Score XP
Sight of the Molting Magus 1
Sight of the Sigil 1
Restore the Faded Threads [-5 or more] 1
Peering Into the Mortal Mind 3 1
The Call to Slumber 3 1
Tales of the Ashes 1

Background:

Luciu grew up in the sheltered walls of Magvillus, son of a scribe and a cook. He wandered the covenant, and had a strange knack for staying out of trouble, and avoiding hard work; but as he avoided mundane work, he gained skill in wrapping people around his finger. But as he got older, he became less liked, and eventually the change was noticed. After careful examination, his Gift was discovered, along with his useful knacks, that had seen him find out things he wasn't meant to know, and simultaneously avoid getting in trouble for them.

With his abilities, his Gift was hard to open, so his parens was a quite senior Guernicus magus, Zuzentasun ex Guernicus; very old, with ethics as tough as granite, who eschewed politics out of principle so had a position unsuited to his years. He was the covenant's priest of Apollo, who led the Cult of Mercury for the House of Guernicus. His education was extraordinary – not only did he teach Luciu his own extraodrinary magical talents, he also ingrained his ethics into the boy's head – an unyielding sense of justice, and desire for truth, more important than any expediency or pragmatic concerns that others might put first. He died before the War started, and Luciu finished his last couple of years of apprenticeship with others, before taking, and passing, his gauntlet exam.

Luciu feels, deep down, that the war was a mistake, one that can be laid at the feet of House Guernicus. He knows for a fact that his parens would have been a vocal opponent, and might have even had the moral authority to stop it. He only broached the subject once, and the reaction was so swift and harsh that he immediately dropped it, managing to play it off as playing devil's advocate, for the sake of education. He hasn't really dropped the subject, but he knows he must be careful, and discreet. He has spent his time since his gauntlet performing his duties to the utmost of his ability, but he has also kept his eyes wide open for evidence pointing to the truth, both of the causes of the war and of the true nature of both Diedne and Tremere. He builds a record now, and he has left for later the decision of how to handle the truth, once he uncovers it.

Post-gauntlet advancement (10 years total – 300 xp – all reflected above):

Charm +10, Etiquette +5, Folk Ken +10, Intrigue +10, Leadership +10, OoH Lore +10, Art of Memory +10, Dead Language: Latin +25, Code of Hermes +10, Dominion Lore +5, Faerie Lore +5, Infernal Lore +5, Magic Lore +5, Parma Magica +25, Penetration +5, Premonitions +60, Second Sight +60, Peering Into the Mortal Mind Mastery +13 (doubled), The Call to Slumber Mastery +13 (doubled), +4 Vim (plus affinity)

1 Like

You could change Giant Blood out for Great Int*2 and Puissant Magic Theory as that will be much more useful for crafting items.

I think you have 10xp to spare.

Combining faerie blood (dwarf) and giant blood is a strange coincidence which should be written into the backstory.

The design has some quirks with good RP potential. For instance, Giant Blood does not help you magic at all, but being the dilletant fighter, it adds a lot of flavour. Expensive flavour, but maybe it is worth it.

Your enchantments will soon suffer from low magic theory. The benefit you get from your craft is capped by magic theory, so you really should shift some virtues from craft to magic theory, unless you want to be a dilletant also at enchantment.

@John_Graham_52 's advice is of course sound, but I am not going to encourage removing the flavour of Giant Blood if you want it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Brilliant concept.

I don't quite manage to see how the xp add up. For one, you must have spent 91 xp on each major art, which gives 137xp with the affinity, and that leave 1xp to spare which is not recorded. By my counting, you have spent 26xp in masteries, 535 in abilities, 197xp in arts, for a total of 758xp against an allowance of 750xp (45+105+300+300). Are you able to see where we disagree?

I don't object to the Cult of Mercury Lore, and the background with the old parens is fine.
Just note that there is no guarantee that a mystagogue can be found in game ...

you were right about the math, I replaced with corrected numbers. (The blurb about post-gauntlet at the bottom was right, but the numbers in the table were wrong.)

If I count correctly, you have 40xp to spare. I would also recommend to take puissant MT instead of affinity with craft ... you will get more out of your craft that way.

withdrawn.

I may work on a more "normal" redcap.

A redcap is just the plot hook I need :slight_smile:

I count 600 xp spent against an allowance of 590 (300+15*13+45+50). Have you or I miscounted?

@temprobe brought up a question on discord, so I will follow up that there.

My companion

Edwin, an autocrat looking for a new employer

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +2, Pre +2, Com +1, Str -1, Sta 0, Dex 0, Qik 0

Size:0

Decrepitude: 0

Confidence Score 1(3)

Virtues and Flaws: Covenfolk(free social status); Arcane Lore, Dowsing, Educated, Magic sensitivity, Social contacts(monks), social contacts (merchants); Close Family Ties, Greedy(major), Obese, Pious(minor)

Personality Traits: Greedy +6, Pious +3, Loyal +2

Reputations: None

Combat: Dodging Init 0, attack n/a, defence 3, damage n/a

Soak: 0

Fatigue levels: OK,-1,-3,-5,Unconscious

Wound penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), dead (21+)

Abilities: English 5 (Mercian accent),
Danish 2 (Danelaw accent)
Area Lore: Mercia 2 (covenant locations)
Area Lore: Northumbria 2 (covenant locations)
Artes Liberales 2 (arithmetic)
Awareness 2 (being cheated)
Bargain 2 (livestock)
Brawl 2 (dodging)
Carouse 2 (good impression),
Charm 2 (townsfolk)
Chirurgy 2 (wound treatment)
Code of Hermes 2 (interfering with mundanes)
Dominion Lore 1 (saints)
Dowsing 2 (vis)
Etiquette 2 (anglo-saxon nobility)
Faerie Lore 2 (forest fae)
Folk Ken 2 (being cheated)
Guile 2 (cheating)
Hunt 2 (tracking)
Infernal Lore 1 (infernalists)
Intrigue 2 (politics)
Latin 4 (writing)
Leadership 2 (covenfolk)
Magic Lore 2 (animals)
Magic sensitivity 2 (regions)
Organisation lore: Church 2 (monasteries)
Organisation Lore: Order of Hermes 2 (covenants)
Profession: Steward 6 (covenant lands)
Ride 1 (speed)
Stealth 2 (hiding)

Equipment: Robes, a quill and ink, seal for a destroyed covenant, coin purse.

Edwin was born to an English family in Mercia and was educated well so he could join the church. A pious boy, he thought of joining a wealthy monastery in order to follow God (and also to fill his belly, as monasteries seemed wealthier than many other places). However, his uncanny way of finding things (dowsing and magic sensitivity) brought him to the attention of a covenant who recruited the young monk and gave him the chance to work for them. He stayed in touch with monks from his training, and learned ideas about land management and estate improvement from them.

The magi taught him a little of the supernatural world (arcane lore) so he could put his talents to best use. Over time, he learned how to trade with people in Northumbria and with the Danes, so he could sell the covenant surplus, and in doing so built up a large network of contacts. He had put into place an ambitious scheme to drain some lands to grow more crops and improve pasture when the war came, and the farmlands that enabled him to eat so well were destroyed along with the covenant.

Now he is wandering the country, discovering that all the covenants he knew of are destroyed. This war has wrecked his livelihood and Danish invaders threaten the mundane people of his land. He is looking for a place to settle, a chance to put his skills into building something again, and a way of putting plenty of food on the table.

2 Likes

Name: Benedict Ex Mercere
Size: 0
Personality: Lecherous +6, Trickster +5, Carefree +3
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 188 lbs.
Warping:
Soak: +2
Combat: Ini -2, Attack -, Defense 0, Damage -

Description: A tall, lean man, with close-cropped blond hair and a short beard, and gray eyes

Animal Forms: Bear, Shark, Golden Eagle

Personas:
Eva Laski, a buxom and beautiful redhead, a rich widow, a terrible gossip of easy virtue
Per Adley, a beaten down old beggar, who was once a rich trader but lost everything.

Characteristic Score
Intelligence +1
Perception 0
Presence +3
Communication 0
Strength 0
Stamina +2
Dexterity 0
Quickness -2
Redcap Major Social 3 See ArM 48
Well-Traveled Minor General 0 Free from Redcap - See ArM 50
Shapeshifter Major Supernatural 3
Persona Minor Supernatural 1
Gift of Tongues Minor Heroic 1
Animal Ken Minor Supernatural 1
Unaging Minor Supernatural 1
Total 10
Ability Block Minor General 1 No Martial Abilities
Legacy Minor Heroic 1
Lecherous Major Personality 3
Dependent(s) Major Story 3 Many kids across Europe (twenty he knows of) whom he keeps loose tabs on for the benefit of the Cult of Heroes and House Mercere
Heroic Personality Minor Heroic 1
Carefree Minor Personality 1
Total 10
Area Lore: Rome Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Iberian Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Theban Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Rhine Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Provencal Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Normandy Tribunal Geography 1
Area Lore: Alps Tribunal Geography 1
Animal Handling Horses 3
Athletics Endurance 3
Awareness Alertness 3
Bargain Stolen Goods 3
Brawl Grapples 2
Carouse Games of Chance 1
Charm Women 3
Concentration Reading 1
Etiquette Nobles 2
Folk Ken Nobles 2
Guile Complicated Lies 3
Intrigue Gossip 3
Leadership Intimidation 1
Legerdemain Picking Pockets 3
Native Language: East Norse Danish 5
Order of Hermes Lore Politics 1
Profession: Scribe Hermetic Books 1
Ride Horse 1
Stealth Sneak 1
Survival Mountain 1
Swim Long Distances 2
Art of Memory Written Materials 2
Artes Liberales Astronomy 1
Dead Language: Latin Hermetic Uses 5
Code of Hermes Mundane Relations 1
Dominion Lore Divine Creatures 1
Faerie Lore Faerie Forests 1
Infernal Lore Demons 1
Magic Lore Regiones 1
Magic Theory Writing 1
Animal Ken Birds 5
Shapeshifter Eagle 3
Persona Peasants 2
Enchanted Items Level Base Level Arts Range Duration Target Uses/Triggers Pen Notes
Bag of Skin and Fur
Secret Cargo 29 5 MuAn(Co,He) Touch (+1) Moon (+3) Ind 12/day (+4 L) n/a Upon command, the bag transforms to a scar on the body of the commanding person, remaining in both human and animal forms. Any contents made of plant or animal products are shrunk, the bag will not trigger if materials of other Forms are within. Another command transforms it back to a large messenger bag.
Tiny Cargo 27 5 MuAn(He) Touch (+1) Sun (+2) Ind 2/day (+4 L) n/a Any object made of plant or animal products is shrunk to 1/10th of its size while inside the bag. Environmental Trigger +3 L

Background:

Benedict was raised by a traveling peddler and tinker, traveling through Denmark and the northern reaches of the Holy Roman Empire. He was ignorant of his family, thinking the peddler was his father, but in fact the peddler had bought him from a woman who wanted to be rid of a child born out of wedlock, and the tinker fed the babe on goat's milk, treating him as the son he'd never had. Benedict found that, as he got older, he had strange gifts. He could talk to any living creature. He sometimes dreamed of being animals, or even other people, and occasionally woke up in a body not his own. He gradually learned to control these things, and was a great help to his "father".

When he was 9 years old, his "father" died in his sleep. He tried to carry on, but the first time he encountered adults, they beat him, and stole everything he had. He was barely able to escape with his life, and he ran into the wilderness. For the next couple of years, he lived literally as an animal, wandering the forests in the form of a bear, and it was there he was found by Pascal, a Redcap with the gift of divination who used it to trace bloodlines for his house. He convinced the boy to come with him, and Benedict found out that his real father was a redcap named Marco, and he was of a special bloodline. When Pascal learned of his gifts, he suspected that the boy also had hero blood, descended from some archetypal trickster, perhaps even Loki himself.

Benedict resumed his traveling lifestyle, this time as an apprentice Redcap, and had an enjoyable time, seeing new things and meeting new people, as he travelled over the whole of Europe. As he got older, he developed habits that he himself finds strange – occasionally doing or saying things that he didn't intend to, which often results in complicating social situations that are already fraught. He also developed a powerful libido, pursuing dalliances with magae and others all across Mythic Europe. He watches his children, as does the House, but he stays clear of any responsibilities, which is easy with the children he shares with magae, less so otherwise. He found the gift distasteful at first, but he got more used to it, and since he was never looking for emotional connections, that also made things easier.

The Mercere were quite happy to have one of the bloodline be so active in procreation, and while Benedict formed little emotional attachment to his flings or their offspring, he does keep a flawless mental record of his exploits (his memory palace would make most scholars blush), and House Mercere has a record of the additions he has made to the bloodline.

I count 695xp including 75xp native language and 15xp in the free score of 1 in supernatural abilities, for a net of 610xp allocated.
The allowance should be 45+13*15+300+50=590. Which one of us has miscounted?

I am not sure 10 years post gauntlet applies to companions. I suppose that his how you got more than 50 levels of devices. What does the troupe think? Personally, I find it unRAW, but probably not a noticeable power boost.

EDIT (again)
Tiny cargo seems off. An effect which can be ended, as when an item is removed from the bag, has to be Conc/Maintain Conc. Effects can otherwise not be ended at will. Since you will presumably have many items in the bag, two uses at Ind target will not do.

Now, I am not sure how to design this properly by RAW. We may need two triggers, both the environmental sun renewal and the putting in/taking out trigger. I am happy to allow that even if RAW does not, but I think, as a minimum, that you have to add two magnitudes for room/group target. Happy to take troupe input on this though.

And also, you should add magnitudes for requisites.

I don't have the book in front if me, but one of the perks of redcap is having a budget in magical items that builds up through time, something like 2 levels per year to be spent after gauntlet iirc, and there's a virtue to increase that.