OOC chat

Once the oasis adventure is over (it's getting there, I think, since the lizardperson was caught), we can probably move time forward again, unless something happens. The charter discussion can go on in the background, as can whatever is done with the lizard, right?

My suggestion would be to make next Spring the designated "adventure season" - that's when the Europe expedition for the perfectus happens, so even if the character intends to stay behind, it would make sense to have whatever adventures they have planned concurrently.

1 Like

Birds are rarely referenced by speed in myth and legend in part because they are already seen to be so fast by comparison to land animals. Obviously birds of prey are known to be faster than songbirds, and there are individual exceptions such as Huginn and Munnin who could travel the world in the blink of an eye.
You do recall however a legend (OOC: FYI this is not a real legend out of game) from a Finnish tribe which spoke of a Kelmickuk, a bird with six wings (three pairs) that has feathers like a bird but buzzed like an insect and could fly at incredible speeds.
You know many legends of desert wolves, but "using the sands to its benfit" I'm not sure where you are going with this in any way that would make sense to medieval thought.

camouflage, and misdirecting it's prey.

There are stories of wolves which vanish, but nothing about camouflage, and stories about wolves which confuse the senses or ones which are vicious, but nothing about misdirection.

Hiding is a medieval concept, camouflage is not, and an ability to hide is just that- an ability, which is not inherent in a form.

Summer's activities are finished (at least adventure wise, the rest is bookkeeping), and I'm going to review listed activities for upcoming seasons before beginning the next adventure. If in light of existing events anyone wishes to change their plans please do so now.

2 Likes

Could the Libram Campaignus be pinned?
Could it include links to our library and lab texts as raccoon requested?
And treasury information?

I'm trying to figure out how to pin it... I seem to be missing some admin abilities.

I need a reminder on the Wizard's Vigil that Argentius is learning from Lab Text in Autumn 1289.

What level are we learning the Wizard's Vigil?

I think my lab score is either 28 or 31:
Mu 6
Vi 6
Int 3
MT 5
Aura 8
Inventive Genius 3*

*Does inventive genius apply? In the example of Lab Text learning from ArM5e on p 102 it says "he can invent the spell..." But it also talks in those pages about "reproducing effects," so I'm unclear on whether or not this is considered invention.

Either way (28 or 31), what level am I learning the Wizard's Vigil at?

I think it does apply. The level is 25, so you should be good. You could learn a small, 5-level cantrip with the same arts.

1 Like

Inventive Genius doesn't apply to learning from a lab text. There's another virtue for that. Adept Lab Student, iirc.

Hmm. Even in that description it implies that spells from Lab Texts are considered "reinvention" (ArM5e p 40). The narrower focus of that minor virtue also doubles the impact: +6 vs +3 for Inventive genius.

If it does apply, then I suppose I could learn the cantrip per @Seon 's suggestion. Assuming we have a lab text for that cantrip.

That's right. When using a lab text, you reinvent a spell, while Inventive Genius provides a bonus to invent new spells.

1 Like

Makes sense! Thanks! As always! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to Autumn 1289...

Want to confirm my understanding: in a season where you use a lab text, you gain Exposure 2 xp in that season to either Tech Form used by spell or to MT.

Do I have that right?

that's right. Exposure in MT / tech / form is the rule for any lab project.

1 Like

yes, unless of course you take adventure experience.

1 Like

Inventive Genius is errataed to be much clearer.

Inventive Genius (p. 44): Replace the second sentence with "You get +3 to your Lab Total if you are not using a Laboratory Text.".

3 Likes

Not changing plans, but as soon as he can read Arabic well enough Zarkut is reviewing his correspondence and notes for any further clues about the covenant situation or anything related to the covenant overall, which might provoke a change.

Khufu Al Alqazar

@silveroak Yes. Was chatting with @temprobe about a companion that might work well with Aetherius and others in the covenant. Definitely not an existing companion but one for the future and future story.

1 Like

Do we learn anything from the creature as it learns language?

Lares would ask it things like where it came from, what it was looking for, if there are others like it where it came from, how it feels about being at the covenant, and so on.