OOC Discussion

Where do we post updated post advancement Magus Character sheets?

Wishbone will read the Corpus Summae (Q14) for Autumn 1230 and Winter 1231.

We've just been updating the character sheets in the character sheet (I've been noting the before and after positions for Gregorius, e.g. 1 (0) -> 1 (5), but that does clutter things and the colour coding I'd been using to indicate what was when got lost in the forum move, so I've been thinking of dropping it). I'd recommend including a log in the character sheet of your seasonal activities.

There's also Ironboundtome's google documents spreadsheet for recording advancement and making sure we're not clashing with each other (I think the Corpus is fine on that front) here:

Thank you. That is Wishbone up to date until end of Winter 1231.

I know it has been a long time since we last played but I have finally remembered that Wishbone was suggesting he invent a large group fire based attack. Did he get assigned a lab (I think he got one that had been abandoned by the maga (Tasia?) attacked by the Amazon's) if so I will be inventing a new spell rather than my current time line.

Digging out the old posts, this seems to be where we got to:

So I think you can use Tasia's lab from at least the start of Autumn 1230 (possibly earlier, but I'm fuzzy on that). Stats are as set out below - I suggest adding them to your character sheet. It's got a 0 refinement, so he can start working in it immediately without needing to get used to it first.

For the record, I keep detailed advancements log on my own PC, and also on a website that's linked from the characters in question.

Scott

Is the Autumn 1230 date for access to the lab the call from the SG's? If so I don't have time to make the 1000 person target fire damage spell. If earlier I can probably just fit it in as I need 3 lab seasons to complete.

I'll let MTKnife answer the lab question.

There is also the question of whether he would have known he wanted / needed the spell earlier, though (given the planning meeting was at the start of Autumn 1230).

What's his lab total like vs spell level? How far is he off?

Marcus can make a Creo Ignem lab total of 60 in the inherited lab. So level 45 spell (+15 damage, Sight, 1000 targets) in 3 seasons or level 40 in 2 seasons (+15 damage, Sight, 100 targets).

100 targets is probably going to be enough for this, so I'd suggest going for that one. We're expecting warbands rather than armies - I think the encampment we saw before had around 30-40 people when we were there.

Will do. Will use Autumn 1230 and Winter 1231.

Unless we don't have a vacant lab at the time, the covenant's charter mandates that any visitor has access to a lab.

Scott

Yes - the question is at what point in time Tasia' lab counted as "vacant"?

Catching up - we are advancing to end of Winter 1231?

Yes (so Autumn 1230 and Winter 1231), as part of the preparations to go Amazon hunting.

OK, I was thinking it was a bit earlier, so will recon the last season book reading, and adjust Fray.

Inventing a spell, for review.

Transformation of the Vicious Beast to the Floundering Fish
Muto Animal 25, R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Individual
The targeted animal up to size +3 is turned into a fish. A fish bone may be held by the caster and dropped to end the spell prematurely.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 additional size in target)

Int 3, Mu 21, An 11, Lab 2, Inventive 3, MaTh 8, Aura 5 = LT 53 ... so 1x season for level 25

I was going to say "wouldn't a longer range be more useful", but then I remembered that Fray has Flexible Formulaic Magic. Although if you can manage a level 25 spell in one season might still be worth bumping it up a magnitude.

I think the ability to cancel the spell is the main contentious bit. The two main questions are:

• Can it be used on a spell cast on someone else?
  • Can it be used on spells that are Muto Animal rather than Muto Corpus?

I don't think there's anything stopping the first, but the second is a bit more dodgy - the relevant guideline and precedents only appear under Muto Corpus, and HoH:TL (pg 97) comments that "This allowed him to cancel a spell after casting it, without waiting for the duration to end, and by 1220 this concept has been integrated into a basic function of Muto Corpus spells, thought most magi are not aware of the greater implications".

Whenever would be most convenient for our purposes. Fray can have it whenever he needs it, and we'll say that's when we got word from Tasia.

Scott