OOC General Discussions

I guess it has to do with stamina being quite an important part of spellcasting. A shield grog needs to be good at so many different characteristics to be a good fighter.
To me a high stamina doesn't mean you are big and strong per se, just more endurable and healthy.

I know. An unindented consequence of the rules.

But the typical magus spends countless hours poring over dusty books, or shut up in their lab inventing spells, or other similar activities. While a typical shield grog trains and does all kinds of physical activities.

In real life, which one do you believe would have be more healthy?

Now, what do you believe would happen if we had a House Rule that removed Stamina from the spellcasting formula? :laughing:

That is something I have seriously thought about when playing my own sagas. I understand the reasoning behind stamina though but maybe a magus needs to spend some time staying in shape or the score will deteriorate. :slight_smile:

If I were devil's advocate I'd also point that magus probably have access to much better food and living quarters than grogs for the sake of their health they also have access to healing rituals etc...

Good points Bitter.

On the other hand, those two things already have their own mechanics -- namely the Living Conditions (aging modifier), healing rates, stat-boosting rituals (which cost vis), etc.

One thing to remember is that in Ars, almost all of a person's stats are determined at birth. There is no such thing as training to improve one's Strength, or eating better to improve one's Stamina.

So if my reckoning is correct, I'm waiting for a grog concept from Kingjawa to avoid closing the loop before everyone has a chance to make one? And Kingjawa would make Bitter's outdoors-man?

If I understood correctly Arthur is going to provide mine, but with less details.

I'm not seeing this as a one-to-one thing, more as a collaborative effort.

Nor is it necessary for the magus' player to be the one to suggest the grog's concept. For example, Kingjawa's magus (Mervyn of Merinita) has goblin blood. So his grog could be a former miner who was involved in a mine accident (he was saved by Mervyn's pater) and is now afraid of enclosed spaces. So he became young Mervyn's grog. If Kingjawa is ok with that concept, then the other players would run with it, each possibly making suggestions as to his personality and behaviour.

I think that a former minner concept is a cool theme. Can he wield a pick of some kind?

So maybe one flaw to reflect the accident like disfigured and a second flaw Fear (enclosed spaces), a missing ear or eye could work too.

Concerning stats and virtues, he probably has very high stamina (maybe Tough) and at least decent strength

Sure. Military pick uses the same stats as a mace.

Note that it's been 10 days since Kingjawa has posted anything, so I'm not sure if he's still on board. For now, I plan to start the introductory thread of each magus in the next few days. If he hasn't resurfaced by the end of the coming week, I will have to rule him out for good. That would leave just enough time for another player to come on board before the magi arrive at Fengheld.

I posted yesterday in OOC and you just responded about the pick. :astonished: I am still here and will be posting more updates shortly.

Sorry about that! My bad, didn't see it was you posting. :blush:

It seems I just broke the motherboard of my computer, i'll see tomorrow to change it, this might take longer (few days) sorry about that.

Don't worry about it, the introductary threads are made just for that reason. Yours will simply a bit shorter.

Alright I'm back, it went way smoother than expected. Finally it was my power supply so the repairer lends me one while mine will be changed under guarantee .

I will be offline until Monday.

Also have guests until Sunday afternoon so I'll probably won't post anything.

Sorry for taking so long to post, I'm quite busy right now but I'll try to post more frequently.